• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Potential Hall of Famers

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
with the HOF announcement coming, this seems like a decent time to bring up an old subject...

Terrell Suggs, marshal yanda, haloti ngata, Derrick mason, Steve smith, anquan boldin, Todd heap. are they hall of famers? I think most are, and most are certainly worthy, but will they actually make it? And for some, do they(if they make it at all) enter as ravens?

Terrell Suggs, I think, may not be a first ballot, but I have a hard time believing he doesn't make it, I'm certain he does eventually. Another season or 2 like he just had, where he defies Father Time, and he's pushing first ballot imo.

Yanda, one of the greatest guards to ever grace the field, but he's a guard. Guys like Steve Hutchinson and Alan faneca still aren't in, does yandas talent and accolades make him as deserving? Probably. He would have to be a legacy enshrinement though, simply due to his position.

Haloti ngata, his talent says yes, his passion and commitment to the game make you pause, and a lack of accolades as well. A DPOY win and he's without a doubt in strong consideration, but that one accolade could keep him from ever making it.

Derrick mason, also certainly worthy, his work in Tennessee was enough to put him on track, but he came to Baltimore and played even better for years, as one of the leagues premiere possession receivers for essentially a decade of footballs(maybe) finest era, he deserves strong consideration as a legacy candidate, but his lack of antics and superstar shine likely keep him out.

Steve smith, no question a hall of famer, and as bitter as he is with Carolina, would he actually take his bust as a raven? I mean his whole career was in Carolina, and he only came to us for 3 years. He retired a raven, sure, but that's a BIG move if he were to enter canton as a raven.

Anquan boldin, also deserving, but more for his work with Arizona, but him getting a ring with us and in large part to his dominant play may play a role. Boldins reputation alone should get him in the hall later on, it IS a question though. But another question, if he makes it in, is it as a cardinal? Most likely.

Todd heap, sadly I don't think so. If this man played for New England he probably goes down as one of the GOATs, but due to the team he played on he simply doesn't have the numbers or accolades to explain an enshrinement, it's sad, as heap is one of the true good guys of the NFL, and he was without a doubt an elite TE, top 3 in the league for a majority of his career after Gonzales and gates, but the team he was on hamstrung his production and hurt his reputation, as it would any pass catcher(aside from mason who just seemed to shatter ravens wr trends).

What do you guys think? From my count I have 2 ravens who almost certainly make it in at some point, 1 who should but likely won't, and 2 more who probably make it, but not as ravens.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i think sizzle is the only certainty - i thought he should before the season and the fact that he just made the probowl again with a solid season at this age i think confirmed to the rest of the nfl that he belongs in a gold jacket - whether it's first ballot i think depends on what narrative gets drawn - he's got at least 1 more season i reckon and if he has another good year then it may well just depend on what the rest of his class looks like...

EDIT: I forgot steve smith - who will obviously be a hall of famer

Last edited:

K-Dog

MVP
I was thinking about that the other day.
Jamal Lewis popped into my mind.
He is one of my favorite Ravens of all time. I know he doesn't have HOF numbers, but he is up there.

I think Sizzle, Yanda, and SSS will all make it at one point. The others would be debatable.
Koch could enter the conversation as could Justin based on current trajectory.

Also, unless I am mistaken no one goes into the HOF as a member of any team. I believe the bust, at least has no markings or any team.
Which is how it should be.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
He is one of my favorite Ravens of all time. I know he doesn't have HOF numbers, but he is up there.

I think Sizzle, Yanda, and SSS will all make it at one point. The others would be debatable.

Also, unless I am mistaken no one goes into the HOF as a member of any team. I believe the bust, at least has no markings or any team.
They aren't inducted with a team but it's sort of a nonwritten thing. Like johnny U is obviously enshrined as a colt and not a charger. I'm saying if Steve smith goes in, does he wanna be considered a raven? Same with boldin?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
They aren't inducted with a team but it's sort of a nonwritten thing. Like johnny U is obviously enshrined as a colt and not a charger. I'm saying if Steve smith goes in, does he wanna be considered a raven? Same with boldin?

i dunno if boldin gets in but smithy is gonna have a decision to make because the panthers burned some bridges with him on his way out so maybe he snubs them... but it would seem weird (even as a ravens fan) to see him go in as a raven

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
i dunno if boldin gets in but smithy is gonna have a decision to make because the panthers burned some bridges with him on his way out so maybe he snubs them... but it would seem weird (even as a ravens fan) to see him go in as a raven
i agree! i rather see him go down as a panther.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

Koch already doesnt get enough love so i highly doubt he gets in

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
If you’re the best guard in the game for an entire decade, I feel like you should definitely make it in the HoF

Only problem is that the HOF committee doesn't seem to value Guards that highly. I think Yanda deserves to make it and probably will at some point, but it may take him awhile.

I think Suggs is first ballot after the season he just had, if he didnt have a few overweight years in the middle there it wouldnt even be a question.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Did SSS sign a 1 day contract with the Panthers? I can't remember if he did or not, but I think that might be a sign for when he is inducted.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
he didnt but they've still got 4 years to woo him back as it were
Ah. I kind of want him to choose the Panthers, mainly for the fans. I would be upset if Reed wasn't with the Ravens, and I can see how Panthers fans might feel.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Yanda will take a long time due to position. He may have to go in with the seniors.

Tru11

Practice Squad
Suggs yes.
Steve yes.

Mason maybe
Boldin eventually.
Yanda eventaually
Ngata maybe.
Heap sadly no
Tucker if he keeps this up eventually.
Koch wont.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Koch is great, but I don't see him getting into the hall. Punters don't really get those type of career rewards.

Come to think about it, are there any punters in the hall? Like, pure punters. Not old school guys that played punter and another position.