• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to Baltimore: David Ojabo

Mainejet

Practice Squad
I'm not fighting it but I remember his issues with the contracts that he gave out. Yes there may have been cap space available but I'm just talking about individual contracts. Drafting was a huge problem with Mac and so were his offseason moves. I don't remember Idzik's issues, but I followed Mac pretty closely. No I'm not a Jets fan. I certainly don't hate them though and wish the Jets a lot of success under JD. Sorry if it seems like I'm fighting you on this.
Yes, he did sign some pretty ridiculous contracts. Most egregious were the contracts he handed to CJ Mosley and Leveon Bell and that useless asshole CB he designed from the Rams. Donny something I think was his name. But those contracts just go to my point anyway. Mac thought crap players would evolve into good players after a few years in the league. When he saw a very good established player he had NO idea how to assign value to the player.... but cap space was the least of his issues

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, he did sign some pretty ridiculous contracts. Most egregious were the contracts he handed to CJ Mosley and Leveon Bell and that useless asshole CB he designed from the Rams. Donny something I think was his name. But those contracts just go to my point anyway. Mac thought crap players would evolve into good players after a few years in the league. When he saw a very good established player he had NO idea how to assign value to the player.... but cap space was the least of his issues
You definitely weren't up against the cap, but that was due to not having a franchise QB on the roster. However having 9.3m in cap space back in 2019 when JD took over isn't a lot of cap space to work with before restructuring contracts. JD has done an excellent job with what he was dealt and will continue to build that roster.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The Jets last 3 General Managers were all excellent at getting the financial house in order and all of them, all 3 of them SUCKED at drafting and that's ultimately what got them fired. Honestly, I think you as Ravens fans take drafting for granted. You don't worry about the draft because you have it. And I don't care WTF you think is most important for a GM. It's DRAFTING, it always has been and it always will be. And you can only delegate talent searches if as a GM you hire the right guys. It's 90% of a GM"s job and that is a fact. Name ONE GM that has been brilliant with the cap but absolutely sucks at drafting that's still employed. You can't Name one.....

im a massive advocate of the draft and it's my favourite 3 days of the year - just pointing out that GMs build the whole team every year and the draft class is rarely more than 12 guys on the 90 man roster most of whom will not be starters ever let alone in year 1

and that organisations are telling us what they think about GM jobs and where there are gains to be made in the types of guys who are getting interviews and getting hired right now

and it's easy to name a "GM" that's great with cap but sucks at drafting... the patriots have been doing that forever lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
OK but where are all the reports of him being overdrafted? The point is, there are no reports of him being overdrafted. And in regards to his rookie numbers... let's see what Joe Flaccos numbers looked like in his rookie year. He was a rookie that played for a well equipped team right from the get go. Without looking I'll bet Flaccos numbers looked like shit and IF they're better than Zach I'm sure it's just barely. And Justin Fields played for the Bears let's compare their numbers. You'd be proving nothing. The point is, you know as little as anyone else about prospect QB's. Who can honestly say they KNEW about that Josh Allen would be the next great QB in the NFL? I'll bet close to no one. Picking a QB is a complete and utter crap shoot.......

im not talking about numbers though - why would i care about numbers when looking at rookies in massively different situations...
picking QBs is not much harder than picking guys at some other positions - it's just more important to get the right one...

i dont pretend to be a QB expert but i do try and grade them every year (along with around 200 prospects a year) so i never go into a draft season blind about different QBs and their traits and how i might project them

and let's talk about josh allen briefly because i think we should make it clear that he's a unicorn - his transition from inaccurate, inconsistent, poor touch passer to what he's become is unique - it's not the blueprint for others to follow

Mainejet

Practice Squad
You definitely weren't up against the cap, but that was due to not having a franchise QB on the roster. However having 9.3m in cap space back in 2019 when JD took over isn't a lot of cap space to work with before restructuring contracts. JD has done an excellent job with what he was dealt and will continue to build that roster.
Well, the 3 contracts handed out to 3 players contributed largely to that number. And that number did grow quite a bit after cuts. But trust me when I tell you, and I really do think Ravens fans take this for granted, drafting is everything. It's 90% of the job. Truly you don't realize how important it is because you always have good drafting. Ravens fans in many ways are spoiled....

Mainejet

Practice Squad
im not talking about numbers though - why would i care about numbers when looking at rookies in massively different situations...
picking QBs is not much harder than picking guys at some other positions - it's just more important to get the right one...

i dont pretend to be a QB expert but i do try and grade them every year (along with around 200 prospects a year) so i never go into a draft season blind about different QBs and their traits and how i might project them

and let's talk about josh allen briefly because i think we should make it clear that he's a unicorn - his transition from inaccurate, inconsistent, poor touch passer to what he's become is unique - it's not the blueprint for others to follow
In other words, it's ALWAYS a crap shoot.....

Mainejet

Practice Squad

Because a QB's numbers matter as they get into more pivotal years on their rookie contract.

Mainejet

Practice Squad
Man, I love David Ojabo. I wish Joe Douglas had drafted him. Man, I love Joe Douglas. I wish the Ravens had kept him over Eric DeCosta.
Am I having a sarcasm detector failure here? You couldn't possibly think Joe Douglas is a better GM than DeCosta. When DeCosta took over for Ozzie Newsome. The transition was seemless at least from my outsiders point of view. The great talent just continues to come through the door and the Ravens are always a threat to do big things.

Joe Douglas is attempting to build that very thing in NY. And honestly? I think he'll succeed in that mission.

But DeCosta just yielded the Ravens an A+ draft and he did it without all of the draft capital the Jets had. That's something very special.

So honestly I can't see any reason why you'd want JD over DeCosta? DeCosta is probably the best GM in the league since he graduated from assistant.....

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Well, the 3 contracts handed out to 3 players contributed largely to that number. And that number did grow quite a bit after cuts. But trust me when I tell you, and I really do think Ravens fans take this for granted, drafting is everything. It's 90% of the job. Truly you don't realize how important it is because you always have good drafting. Ravens fans in many ways are spoiled....
I do understand how important it was. I was a Skins fan for over 30 years and the drafting went for shit when Dan Snyder bought the team, so yes I understand how important it is.....

I would agree that we have been spoiled with Ozzie and now EDC. No question about that...