• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to Baltimore: David Ojabo

Mainejet

Practice Squad
that seems silly to me as a rationale for not taking those sorts of guys - if you arent a championship team then you can afford to wait on high quality talents who are only available because of their injuries

jameson williams and the lions is a case in point - they know they are at least a year away so they can afford to wait if that's necessary
I agree. But the thought process on the part of Jets fans is Joe Douglas has an EXPECTATION of the Jets getting into the playoffs this season. So taking essentially a "developmental player" would be ill advised. I still don't think it makes any sense for a few reasons:

1) Shit for brains Jets fans are saying he MUST get the Jets in the playoffs or he should be fired. However, intelligent Jets fans, like I consider myself to be, know that's absurd. Their reasoning is the Jets haven't made the playoffs since 2010. However, the Jets futility in the past has nothing to do with Joe Douglas.

2) I can't see Woody Johnson firing Joe Douglas if the Jets don't make the playoffs this season. JD is only in year 3 of a 6 year contract. JD negotiated a 6 year deal because he knew he would need that much time to turn the Jets around. Also, the results speak for themselves. JD has transformed the Jets roster into one of the youngest and most talented rosters in the league. Along the way he's also managed to put the Jets in an excellent spot financially. The Jets under JD will have the very lowest amount of dead cap space in 2022.

So my feeling is if the Jets win say 8 games and miss the playoffs? There's no way he gets fired. Not with all of the great drafting he's done and excellent use of FA. He's the only guy since Bill Parcells that's actually had a plan to execute to transform the Jets organization into a place where playoffs are an almost annual expectation. Where there's always a major influx of talent each and every year.....

Mainejet

Practice Squad
With that said, common sense must eventually steal the day. You cannot draft as well as Joe Douglas without the Jets inevitably becoming a winning team. There's simply too much talent on the Jets roster for them to NOT start winning football games....

Mainejet

Practice Squad
I don't care what record the Jets have, they shouldn't fire JD.
Agreed. Sometimes an outsiders point of view is the best point of view. Just because the Jets have no results in the win column is definitely not a good reason to fire someone. If that were the constant way of handling things, NO ONE would ever want to take a job with the NYJ. No one would ever get the time to do the job thoroughly. And like I said, being a GM is 90% about DRAFTING. If you draft really well? The wins are never that far away....

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Agreed. Sometimes an outsiders point of view is the best point of view. Just because the Jets have no results in the win column is definitely not a good reason to fire someone. If that were the constant way of handling things, NO ONE would ever want to take a job with the NYJ. No one would ever get the time to do the job thoroughly. And like I said, being a GM is 90% about DRAFTING. If you draft really well? The wins are never that far away....
drafting is obviously very important, but you are devaluing everything else a general manager does when saying that 90% of his job is drafting.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Joe Douglas has been drafting incredibly well.

Zach Wilson second overall however… seems as if every person on earth except for JD knew he was getting massively over drafted. That one move can really hurt a GMs rep long term, they end up married to “their” qb.

Getting rid of JD would be a massive mistake but I’m of the personal belief that the quicker the jets move on from Wilson and find a QB the better off they’ll be. I could be wrong, I’m just not high on Wilson lol

Mainejet

Practice Squad
drafting is obviously very important, but you are devaluing everything else a general manager does when saying that 90% of his job is drafting.
Well, maybe I am but it's still the end all/be all of what a GM does. If you suck at drafting your pink slip is coming, it's inevitable. If you can't draft, you can't be a GM....

Mainejet

Practice Squad
Joe Douglas has been drafting incredibly well.

Zach Wilson second overall however… seems as if every person on earth except for JD knew he was getting massively over drafted. That one move can really hurt a GMs rep long term, they end up married to “their” qb.

Getting rid of JD would be a massive mistake but I’m of the personal belief that the quicker the jets move on from Wilson and find a QB the better off they’ll be. I could be wrong, I’m just not high on Wilson lol
You're not high on Wilson? Hmmm, I wonder what gives me that impression?

And please present to me the people that claim Zach Wilson was massively overdrafted? I haven't seen them? I've seen plenty of people claim Justin Fields was a better prospect than Wilson? I've also heard people say Wilson was the best QB in the draft. If you have information or articles on that I'd love to see them? And I'm assuming it's more than just a few as you said nearly everyone except Joe Douglas?

What I can tell you is what I know Jetnation thinks and my own personal opinion....

I think Zachs rookie season was somewhat disappointing. Honestly, I thought he'd really come on at the end of the season and that didn't happen. He stopped throwing interceptions and he took the Bucs right down to the wire late in the season, but all in all I thought he'd flash a lot more than he did. Now, you could also say he didn't play better because he had no supporting cast? The Jets were so injury riddled that they were signing WR's off the street late in the season like Tariq Black???? I still have no idea where the fuck he came from. Until the last weeks of the season I had never heard his name.

So objectively speaking, he played better late in the season, but not as good as I thought he should have...

Where that leaves me now? I think Zach Wilson does NOT have any more excuses. JD has done everything humanly possible to surround Zach with talented playmaker. If Zach fails, it won't be because the GM hung him out to dry. It's time for him to make a huge leap performance wise. What that means numbers wise? Assuming he stays healthy, I'm looking at close to 60% completion percentage or more, I'm looking for twenty something touchdowns against less than 10 interceptions, I'm looking for something like 3,500 yards passing... that to me is something should be reasonable because it certainly isn't about not having talent. But also understand the Jets face a virtual gauntlet of playoff teams in their first 9 games. So I find it hard for the Jets to hit their peak early in the season......

rossihunter2

Staff Member

and the nfl agrees that the draft is actually one of the least important jobs a GM does (mostly because he can very easily delegate it to someone else or lean on scouts and pro personnel guys etc.) - lots of recent GM searches have focussed on finding cap-side guys

rossihunter2

Staff Member
You're not high on Wilson? Hmmm, I wonder what gives me that impression?

And please present to me the people that claim Zach Wilson was massively overdrafted? I haven't seen them? I've seen plenty of people claim Justin Fields was a better prospect than Wilson? I've also heard people say Wilson was the best QB in the draft. If you have information or articles on that I'd love to see them? And I'm assuming it's more than just a few as you said nearly everyone except Joe Douglas?

What I can tell you is what I know Jetnation thinks and my own personal opinion....

I think Zachs rookie season was somewhat disappointing. Honestly, I thought he'd really come on at the end of the season and that didn't happen. He stopped throwing interceptions and he took the Bucs right down to the wire late in the season, but all in all I thought he'd flash a lot more than he did. Now, you could also say he didn't play better because he had no supporting cast? The Jets were so injury riddled that they were signing WR's off the street late in the season like Tariq Black???? I still have no idea where the fuck he came from. Until the last weeks of the season I had never heard his name.

So objectively speaking, he played better late in the season, but not as good as I thought he should have...

Where that leaves me now? I think Zach Wilson does NOT have any more excuses. JD has done everything humanly possible to surround Zach with talented playmaker. If Zach fails, it won't be because the GM hung him out to dry. It's time for him to make a huge leap performance wise. What that means numbers wise? Assuming he stays healthy, I'm looking at close to 60% completion percentage or more, I'm looking for twenty something touchdowns against less than 10 interceptions, I'm looking for something like 3,500 yards passing... that to me is something should be reasonable because it certainly isn't about not having talent. But also understand the Jets face a virtual gauntlet of playoff teams in their first 9 games. So I find it hard for the Jets to hit their peak early in the season......

the context of just how bad wilson looked is important here - he was bad in a bad situation which doesnt help and most rookies do struggle but he looked terrible in year 1 beyond what you'd normally expect - not saying he cant turn it around but it's a really poor start which normally is not a good sign for the future

i think most on these boards had him somewhere in the QB3-5 range in that class

i hope it turns out well because ive always had a soft spot for the jets and i like a lot of the players and coaches they've brought in recently - but i do really think that if justin fields had been on that team last year they'd have been far far better

Mainejet

Practice Squad
and the nfl agrees that the draft is actually one of the least important jobs a GM does (mostly because he can very easily delegate it to someone else or lean on scouts and pro personnel guys etc.) - lots of recent GM searches have focussed on finding cap-side guys
The Jets last 3 General Managers were all excellent at getting the financial house in order and all of them, all 3 of them SUCKED at drafting and that's ultimately what got them fired. Honestly, I think you as Ravens fans take drafting for granted. You don't worry about the draft because you have it. And I don't care WTF you think is most important for a GM. It's DRAFTING, it always has been and it always will be. And you can only delegate talent searches if as a GM you hire the right guys. It's 90% of a GM"s job and that is a fact. Name ONE GM that has been brilliant with the cap but absolutely sucks at drafting that's still employed. You can't Name one.....

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The Jets last 3 General Managers were all excellent at getting the financial house in order and all of them, all 3 of them SUCKED at drafting and that's ultimately what got them fired. Honestly, I think you as Ravens fans take drafting for granted. You don't worry about the draft because you have it. And I don't care WTF you think is most important for a GM. It's DRAFTING, it always has been and it always will be. And you can only delegate talent searches if as a GM you hire the right guys. It's 90% of a GM"s job and that is a fact. Name ONE GM that has been brilliant with the cap but absolutely sucks at drafting that's still employed. You can't Name one.....
Mike Maccagnan was excellent in getting the financial house in order. LMFAO. Seriously! Come on you don't really believe that now do you?

He was bad at drafting but even worse at offseason free agent signings. Absolutely pathetic. You are in a good place now, now lets hope Wilson has a very good year 2.

As a former Washington Redskins fan, I know how important drafting is and I love that the Ravens are good at it and seemingly go in with a very good strategy every season, but we are far from perfect.

Last edited:

Mainejet

Practice Squad
the context of just how bad wilson looked is important here - he was bad in a bad situation which doesnt help and most rookies do struggle but he looked terrible in year 1 beyond what you'd normally expect - not saying he cant turn it around but it's a really poor start which normally is not a good sign for the future

i hope it turns out well because ive always had a soft spot for the jets and i like a lot of the players and coaches they've brought in recently - but i do really think that if justin fields had been on that team last year they'd have been far far better
OK but where are all the reports of him being overdrafted? The point is, there are no reports of him being overdrafted. And in regards to his rookie numbers... let's see what Joe Flaccos numbers looked like in his rookie year. He was a rookie that played for a well equipped team right from the get go. Without looking I'll bet Flaccos numbers looked like shit and IF they're better than Zach I'm sure it's just barely. And Justin Fields played for the Bears let's compare their numbers. You'd be proving nothing. The point is, you know as little as anyone else about prospect QB's. Who can honestly say they KNEW about that Josh Allen would be the next great QB in the NFL? I'll bet close to no one. Picking a QB is a complete and utter crap shoot.......

Mainejet

Practice Squad
Mike Maccagnan was excellent in getting the financial house in order. LMFAO. Seriously! Come on you don't really believe that now do you?

He was bad at drafting but even worse at offseason free agent signings. Absolutely pathetic. You are in a good place now, now lets hope Wilson has a very good year 2.
He really wasn't that bad. I mean, yeah sure he sucked signing that idiot CB from the Rams. He's so bad I can't even remember his name. But the Jets always had extra cap space with Mac as GM. They ALWAYS did...

Mainejet

Practice Squad
In fact, I think in 3 out of 5 years of Mac being GM he was always adding extra cap space into following years....

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
In fact, I think in 3 out of 5 years of Mac being GM he was always adding extra cap space into following years....
did you see how it all caught up to him though. It's about the structure of his deals.

Mac was known for giving out excessive contracts and it caught up to him. Overpaying Mosley a good, but not great linebacker who certainly didn't deserve a contract that reset the market. Lev Bell.... I can go on. You are in a much better position now with JD and yes drafting is extremely important, but not 90% of the job and that's all I'm saying.

Last edited:

Mainejet

Practice Squad
Financial management and fighting dead money is NOT the most challenging part of managing the cap anyway. It's how you structure contracts you sign players to....

Mainejet

Practice Squad
did you see how it all caught up to him though. It's about the structure of his deals.
Why are you constantly fighting this with me? I'm the Jets fan here... I can tell you from personal experience, cap space was NEVER an issue under John Idzik or Mike Macagnan. DRAFTING was always the problem and why they couldn't ever get back to the postseason. That's all fact and it is not in question at least when it comes to the Jets....

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Why are you constantly fighting this with me? I'm the Jets fan here... I can tell you from personal experience, cap space was NEVER an issue under John Idzik or Mike Macagnan. DRAFTING was always the problem and why they couldn't ever get back to the postseason. That's all fact and it is not in question at least when it comes to the Jets....
I'm not fighting it but I remember his issues with the contracts that he gave out. Yes there may have been cap space available but I'm just talking about individual contracts. Drafting was a huge problem with Mac and so were his offseason moves. I don't remember Idzik's issues, but I followed Mac pretty closely. No I'm not a Jets fan. I certainly don't hate them though and wish the Jets a lot of success under JD. Sorry if it seems like I'm fighting you on this.

Mainejet

Practice Squad

Really? You can honestly say Justin Fields would have thrown the ball to Tariq Black better than Zach? Lol That's silly.....