• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to Baltimore: Daniel Faalele

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
That's because he's incapable of starting right now. He would get your QB killed right now. I think it's a good idea for him to be a developmental understudy probably on the practice squad or not on the game day 47. He needs coaching for for 2 years or more. Revisit his status in a few years to see if he's going to. But my honest take is I'm glad Joe Douglas wasn't interested....
I think the RT2 spot is between him, mekari, and James, but ultimately I think there’s a chance James isn’t even on the roster, which means faalele is RT3 and if any OL goes down mekari steps in and faalele becomes RT2. He may be a healthy scratch until there’s an OL injury and I think his development time might be a year. He’s incredibly gifted, so much that he can afford to lack in certain areas as he develops them.

And this isn’t some ravens homer thing, I was his biggest fan on these boards since back in October or some shit lol.

Mainejet

Practice Squad
I think you are clearly underestimating him and believe he will have his times on the game day roster, especially lining up as the 6th OL in multiple instances. You let him go to practice squad and he will definitely be picked up by another team. NO DOUBT AT ALL
So keep him on the 53, just make him inactive for 16 games. He'll be a liability for the team if you immediately put him out there. I've seen this play out in the past. Mike Tannenbaum used a 2nd round pick on Vladimir Ducasse in 2010. He was straight up garbage from the minute he arrived. Is Ducasse still on the Ravens?

Mainejet

Practice Squad
he's not as developmental as you think lol
and he's going to be active in year 1 - he's going to play the 6th man in heavy sets for sure while they work on his pass sets
he's for sure not heading to the practice squad where another team can snipe him as a traitsy developmental guy

and there's no question he needs some seasoning but idk that he needs 2 years or more to get where he needs to be - jordan mailata was way less developed than he was, and also far less traitsy

joe douglas wasnt interested because faalele's not a scheme fit for what the jets want to do in the running game
Yeah, well I firmly believe he's not a scheme fit for the Ravens either. What was his RAS score? He looks to me to be way too stiff to get out running on toss sweep type plays. I think the Ravens had an excellent draft with the lone exception of Falaale. I think he'll be an issue in passing plays as he's too tall thereby making it harder for Lamar Jackson to diagnose/scan the field. I also believe he's not athletic enough on running plays....jmo

Mainejet

Practice Squad
I think the RT2 spot is between him, mekari, and James, but ultimately I think there’s a chance James isn’t even on the roster, which means faalele is RT3 and if any OL goes down mekari steps in and faalele becomes RT2. He may be a healthy scratch until there’s an OL injury and I think his development time might be a year. He’s incredibly gifted, so much that he can afford to lack in certain areas as he develops them.

And this isn’t some ravens homer thing, I was his biggest fan on these boards since back in October or some shit lol.
Well, I'm glad you all liked the pick. He'll, he's bigger than the Jolly Green giant, that's for sure. I just don’t believe pure, raw size equates to a good OL. Subject must absolutely be quick, strong, and athletic as hell. In fact, if I'm forced to choose between athletic and size? I'll take athletic every time. With that said, I think you'll find out in the long term that he was a poor selection. Only time will tell....

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Well, I'm glad you all liked the pick. He'll, he's bigger than the Jolly Green giant, that's for sure. I just don’t believe pure, raw size equates to a good OL. Subject must absolutely be quick, strong, and athletic as hell. In fact, if I'm forced to choose between athletic and size? I'll take athletic every time. With that said, I think you'll find out in the long term that he was a poor selection. Only time will tell....

This was Paulines positives and negatives from Faalele:

Tony Pauline’s scouting report on Daniel Faalele

Positives:
Massive offensive tackle with the underlying athleticism to succeed at the next level. Keeps his head on a swivel, keeps his feet moving, and uses his hands to knock pass rushers from their angles of attack. Quick off the snap and stays square. Easily seals the edge and out-positions defenders from plays. Makes good use of angles in pass protection, easily engulfs opponents, and takes them from the action. Gets a lot of movement run blocking and drives opponents off the line of scrimmage.

Negatives: Must improve his blocking balance. Struggles to adjust and pick up the blitz. Seems very sluggish at times. Lacks quick and fluid footwork off the edge and shows limited lateral blocking range. Tipped the scales at 387 pounds during Senior Bowl weigh-ins and is much too big.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
So keep him on the 53, just make him inactive for 16 games. He'll be a liability for the team if you immediately put him out there. I've seen this play out in the past. Mike Tannenbaum used a 2nd round pick on Vladimir Ducasse in 2010. He was straight up garbage from the minute he arrived. Is Ducasse still on the Ravens?
Ducasse isn't a comparison. That is laughable. Not only are they not comparable, but they don't even play the same position. Ducasse was a guard. You have your opinions and we have ours and we will probably know more in 2023. However he will play this season in heavy sets as our 6th offensive lineman.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I just think he’s a lot more athletic than you give him credit for

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah, well I firmly believe he's not a scheme fit for the Ravens either. What was his RAS score? He looks to me to be way too stiff to get out running on toss sweep type plays. I think the Ravens had an excellent draft with the lone exception of Falaale. I think he'll be an issue in passing plays as he's too tall thereby making it harder for Lamar Jackson to diagnose/scan the field. I also believe he's not athletic enough on running plays....jmo
btw, Orlando Brown, Jr's RAS was 0.72, which is much lower than Faalele's.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

that just tells me you didnt watch him play tbh
RAS is a tool but it's not as meaningful for OL because there's no lateral mobility athletic test and there's no explosive power test...
and the ravens drafted a pro bowler at the same position with an even worse RAS only 4 years ago

he's definitely not stiff - he's a very flexible athlete with some issues redirecting

im also not drafting tackles specifically for the toss sweep in a power scheme - the RT on those plays is downblocking and crushing the 3t with pullers coming from left-to-right to kick out and lead block

his primary job in the running game in power is to cave in the right side and try and work up to a LB

and you're making it sound like Lamar's a short dude... he's 6'2... a 6'8 RT isn't going to challenge his vision

i think you're 1) underestimating how athletic Faalele is, making it sound like he's some lumbering slow giant and 2) underestimating the importance of scheme

Mainejet

Practice Squad
Ducasse isn't a comparison. That is laughable. Not only are they not comparable, but they don't even play the same position. Ducasse was a guard. You have your opinions and we have ours and we will probably know more in 2023. However he will play this season in heavy sets as our 6th offensive lineman.
Ducasse was drafted to be a RT, in particular Damien Woodys replacement once he retired....

Mainejet

Practice Squad
This was Paulines positives and negatives from Faalele:

Tony Pauline’s scouting report on Daniel Faalele

Positives:
Massive offensive tackle with the underlying athleticism to succeed at the next level. Keeps his head on a swivel, keeps his feet moving, and uses his hands to knock pass rushers from their angles of attack. Quick off the snap and stays square. Easily seals the edge and out-positions defenders from plays. Makes good use of angles in pass protection, easily engulfs opponents, and takes them from the action. Gets a lot of movement run blocking and drives opponents off the line of scrimmage.

Negatives: Must improve his blocking balance. Struggles to adjust and pick up the blitz. Seems very sluggish at times. Lacks quick and fluid footwork off the edge and shows limited lateral blocking range. Tipped the scales at 387 pounds during Senior Bowl weigh-ins and is much too big.
Now I see your scouting report on Faalele and I'll give you Tony Paulines scouting report on one Darron Lee. The same Darron Lee that Mike Macagnan selected at #20 overall. Darron was never even close to anything his scouting report said. His scouting report says he's a DAY ONE starter. lol So my point is don't put so much stock in scouting reports. They can definitely be way, way, way off. And this is just one, I can come up with endless others.

Darron Lee
Lee's never been short on confidence, proclaiming to teammates that he was the one to take over for 2014 first-round pick Ryan Shazier in the Buckeyes' defense -- even though he was only a year removed from starring as a quarterback and cornerback in high school. He wound up starting all 15 games in that redshirt freshman year for the national champion Buckeyes, earning multiple Freshman All-American accolades with 81 tackles, 16.5 tackles for loss and 7.5 sacks. Lee truly hit the national stage by terrorizing Alabama in the Sugar Bowl, receiving Defensive MVP honors with seven tackles, three for loss, and two sacks. His play as a sophomore was just as good, tracking down ball carriers 66 times, 11 for a loss and 4.5 sacks on his way to second-team All-Big Ten accolades from league coaches (third team media).

Overview
Lee's level of NFL success might very well be tied to scheme fit and his ability to add more muscle to his frame. His athletic traits and ability to make plays should make him a starter, but he won't unlock his full potential unless he gets strong enough to handle the rigors of an NFL linebacker.
Strengths
  • Quick to diagnose and flow to the ball
  • Has unusual ability to find the most efficient routes to the ball
  • Has athleticism and flexibility to contort his body and succeed through difficult tackle angles
  • Plays with loose hips, quick feet and desired agility of an NFL weak-side linebacker
  • Former high school quarterback with the change of direction and speed to be a rangy playmaker
  • Comfortable in space and excels there
  • Has plus man cover talent
  • Willing to stand in and take on blockers with a leveraged strike if his gap is being threatened
  • Capable gap blitzer with ability to get skinny through the holes
Weaknesses
  • Smallish linebacker
  • Play strength doesn't come close to matching puffed up listed weight
  • Balance issues at point of attack could plague him over his NFL career
  • Has the body type of a big safety
  • Tape shows few authoritative tackles
  • Involved in too many arm and shoestring tackles
  • Comes flying in and fails to come to balance at times
  • Charged with 21 missed and five broken tackles over the last two seasons
  • Always at size disadvantage and will have to learn to slip more blocks
  • Can get better at finding targets in zone coverage

Mainejet

Practice Squad
that just tells me you didnt watch him play tbh
RAS is a tool but it's not as meaningful for OL because there's no lateral mobility athletic test and there's no explosive power test...
and the ravens drafted a pro bowler at the same position with an even worse RAS only 4 years ago

he's definitely not stiff - he's a very flexible athlete with some issues redirecting

im also not drafting tackles specifically for the toss sweep in a power scheme - the RT on those plays is downblocking and crushing the 3t with pullers coming from left-to-right to kick out and lead block

his primary job in the running game in power is to cave in the right side and try and work up to a LB

and you're making it sound like Lamar's a short dude... he's 6'2... a 6'8 RT isn't going to challenge his vision

i think you're 1) underestimating how athletic Faalele is, making it sound like he's some lumbering slow giant and 2) underestimating the importance of scheme
I watched him at Minnesota and in the senior bowl practices

Mainejet

Practice Squad
Good luck with that and honestly I hope it works out for the Ravens. I'm fairly confident it won't work out but even if he does turn out to be a miss, that's not an indictment against DeCosta. It just shows that even good GM's miss every now and then. In my experience, look at Joe Douglas‘s 2020 draft. Jabari Zuniga was a wild miss. Denzel Mims looks to be on the outside looking in. Becton is a beast but he's been injury prone since being drafted. The 4th round QB isn't on the team anymore. LaMichael Perrine will ultimately be cut during training camp. Ashton Davis is barely hanging on to a roster spot. So you guys appear to be getting upset because I didn't like one of your draft choices? It's no indictment, it's just another person's opinion....

Mainejet

Practice Squad
me too...
not sure how you could come away from that film and think he's not athletic...
He was facing inferior competition in college. The NFL is a completely different ball of wax. I'm also not overly impressed with the teams Minnesota plays. If he had played in a higher profile school and still played well I might think differently...

Mainejet

Practice Squad
Now I know why Joe Douglas wasn't interested in Faalele. Not only is he not a scheme fit. His RAS score was only 6.63. Joe Douglas doesn't touch anyone with a RAS score lower than 9 and change in rounds 1-4......

Mainejet

Practice Squad
I found this on the internet.....

His relative athletic score (RAS) of 6.63 is underwhelming but could also be suppressed after a knee injury suffered in the Guaranteed Rate Bowl prevented him from working out at this year's NFL Scouting Combine.Apr 30, 2022

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He was facing inferior competition in college. The NFL is a completely different ball of wax. I'm also not overly impressed with the teams Minnesota plays. If he had played in a higher profile school and still played well I might think differently...

we're talking about a power-5 team, we're not talking about some small-school nobody...
he's played against a bunch of good teams