• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to B-More, John Brown & Michael Crabtree

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
If we can retain jensen and leave 1 less hole to fill and try to nab 2 WR's between Ridley,Moore,Miller,Washington ( possible in my opinion) and a TE in the 3rd and perhaps Orlando brown in the 4th ( possible after that combine) i'll forigve the FO

a bit..not much...but a bit

UKRaven

Practice Squad
After watching a bit of Grant.... that contract is still a fucking albatross... someone in the FO needs to be fired for giving it

He’s an upgrade. More of a sad state of reality for our receiving corps but he’s an upgrade. Massive one at that. He’s surehanded a solid route runner and a decent athlete. He’s nothing special and has peaked. He’s a good #3 WR.

Brown is a significant upgrade if healthy. One I’m excited for. If Brown is healthy he’s a high level #2. Something we are desperate for. He’s far more than a big play threat. If not for his health he’d be making $10+ mil a season easily. This contract could be a big one for us.

I hate the numbers on Grant... but he’s a good player. Nothing special but we honestly needed a guy like that. The WR corps has been upgraded.

That said. If we can still go get Jordy Nelson, or Dez Bryant. Do it. This corps just went from dogshit to meh. Jordy Nelson would be a big get. Then I would STILL draft Two WRs after that. We need a big red zone target.

And fix this line too when you’re at it.

Yeah that's exactly it. The numbers on Grant's contract are bad, but we needed him. But yeah dogshi to meh is exactly what it is

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Now that I think about it... it honestly depends. If we do get a third FA WR(let’s use Dez and Jordy for the hypotheticals)....

if it’s Dez. Draft Ridley and Washington back to back. He’s more of a compliment but we’d have a ton of speed around him and make his life so much easier in the red zone.

If it’s Jordy take Ridley and Tate. Tate could learn a fair amount from the guy and possibly replace Jordy as a possession guy down the line.

It honestly depends. There’s a strong possibility that our first three picks are skill position guys(WRs and TEs in particular)..... I’m actually good with that. There isn’t a WR prospect thus far that I adamantly hate
I like Ridley or moorein round one, gesicki in 2, and Tate or Cedric Wilson in three

RavensPunkXVX

Pro Bowler
John Brown is so much better than Mike Wallace they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence. The problem is can John Brown get on the field consistently

I’m saying more about our offense. If you hear John Brown you think speed. Torrey Smith had speed. Mike Wallace had speed. And they were both used similarly. If they can utilize John Brown correctly and he can stay on the field, then I wholeheartedly agree. It was more than just they’re the same. It came with a few varying factors.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I posted in the free agency thread but by the looks of it his contract is incredibly affordable if Brian mcfarlands predictions are correct - might only have a cap hit of 3.5 million in year 1 and very little guaranteed money after year 2
Where are . you seeing this

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I’m saying more about our offense. If you hear John Brown you think speed. Torrey Smith had speed. Mike Wallace had speed. And they were both used similarly. If they can utilize John Brown correctly and he can stay on the field, then I wholeheartedly agree. It was more than just they’re the same. It came with a few varying factors.
But brown can catch the everloving fuck out of it way more than any of them

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Grant is average at best. Cousins could throw his slow ass open and wasn’t afraid of testing tight windows. Fluko isn’t a gambler he will check it down b4 testing a window. $30 on Ryan Grant?? Ozzie always preferred 3-4 average or declining players than a cornerstone to build around. But Thank you Ozzie 4 showing yourself to b the dumbass piece of garbage u r. A 4-12 year b4 retiring. Thank you Ozzie u retarded jackass 4 proving me right. Years I told everybody u r as dumb as a rock pumped up by the media. And benefited from having smart advisors and assistants Belichick hired in Cleveland. At least the new coach and gm will have a top5 pick to begin rebuilding the team u and Hairball the cuck lover ran into the ground. I’ll enjoy every boo this team gets

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
My thoughts:

- I've always liked Brown when he's been healthy. Dude is explosive, runs pretty good routes, and can catch the ball. Problem is that he's almost always banged up. I'll like this signing more if we can get at least one more WR through the draft and/or a trade. Basically, we better not go into the season relying on Brown to be the number 2 because that would be a grave mistake.

- I didn't even know who Ryan Grant was until yesterday. Someone tell me why the most "complete" WR on the Redskins could barely see the field and don't give me the excuse that he was behind Garcon and whoever the fuck else; if the dude was that good then he would have gotten more production. We just gave $29 million to a player on potential alone, it seems. Don't get me wrong, Grant could be a good player for us (and he better be for this contract), but this was a desperation move. Ozzie has lost his fucking mind.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
My thoughts:

- I've always liked Brown when he's been healthy. Dude is explosive, runs pretty good routes, and can catch the ball. Problem is that he's almost always banged up. I'll like this signing more if we can get at least one more WR through the draft and/or a trade. Basically, we better not go into the season relying on Brown to be the number 2 because that would be a grave mistake.

- I didn't even know who Ryan Grant was until yesterday. Someone tell me why the most "complete" WR on the Redskins could barely see the field and don't give me the excuse that he was behind Garcon and whoever the fuck else; if the dude was that good then he would have gotten more production. We just gave $29 million to a player on potential alone, it seems. Don't get me wrong, Grant could be a good player for us (and he better be for this contract), but this was a desperation move. Ozzie has lost his fucking mind.
according to McFarland, and it's still speculation, he believes the deal will be structured with the 14.5 million guarantees including 10m signing bonus and the 1st two yrs guaranteed. After that he will most likely not see money in yrs three and four. Essentially this is a pretty cheap two yr deal.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
according to McFarland, and it's still speculation, he believes the deal will be structured with the 14.5 million guarantees including 10m signing bonus and the 1st two yrs guaranteed. After that he will most likely not see money in yrs three and four. Essentially this is a pretty cheap two yr deal.

Is he even worth that much though? It's not like teams were lining up to sign him so I feel like we still overpaid.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Is he even worth that much though? It's not like teams were lining up to sign him so I feel like we still overpaid.
read the links I posted above. He's a very good route runner with great hands that has been stuck behind several good receivers in Washington. Last year he had over 40 receptions for over 500 yards. He's a smart receiver that can line up at any spot on the field, but is best suited for the slot.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
If we can retain jensen and leave 1 less hole to fill and try to nab 2 WR's between Ridley,Moore,Miller,Washington ( possible in my opinion) and a TE in the 3rd and perhaps Orlando brown in the 4th ( possible after that combine) i'll forigve the FO

a bit..not much...but a bit
Brown isn't going to fall 3 rounds

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
read the links I posted above. He's a very good route runner with great hands that has been stuck behind several good receivers in Washington. Last year he had over 40 receptions for over 500 yards. He's a smart receiver that can line up at any spot on the field, but is best suited for the slot.

I'm not trying to argue that he isn't a good player with potential, but, once again, where were the other teams trying to sign him? We could have waited and probably gotten him cheaper. I don't hate the player, but this contract is questionable to say the least.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm not trying to argue that he isn't a good player with potential, but, once again, where were the other teams trying to sign him? We could have waited and probably gotten him cheaper. I don't hate the player, but this contract is questionable to say the least.
If the speculation by Brian McFarland is true, then the guaranteed money (signing bonus 10m and 1st and 2nd yr guaranteed salaries) is how they are saying he has 14.5 m in guarantees. It's basically a cheap two yr deal and will never see high cap numbers in yr 3 and 4

I know youre not arguing. I'm hoping he can continue to get better as he has more playing time. He was stuck behind Josh Doctson Garcon Jackson and Crowder in Washington. Had a hard time getting on the field, but he was the only receiver washington had that could line up at all receiver spots this yr.