• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Preseason Week 1 Postgame Discussion Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Very pleased with the game. Coaches are clearly very high on a number of guys that we’re all really counting on, some of the rookies and last years back-end guys showed some really good stuff. Some new names to hype up as well.

Malik Harrison and Travis jones had good games. Geno stone and Isaiah likely are clearly nfl caliber and they don’t belong playing against these guys lol. Shemar bridges put every wr besides bate and pro on notice. Shemartron szn

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
The WR competition is very much only between:
Moore
Victor
Bridges
Polk
Vet FA

We need more game action, but I think Moore significantly underperformed vs the other 3 despite being the big name in camp so far.

Victor had some catches and ran a great deep route that Huntley missed him on.

Bridges made some big plays but it's obvious just how raw he is.

Polk looked very solid in the short and intermediate areas of the field. Which unfortunately for him is pretty undifferentiated from Proche, Duvernay, and Wallace.

My guess would be if after two more games, the report on these guys is the same, then really WR5 is only a competition between Victor and Bridges.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Did anyone pay attention to Odafe during his single series? I think it was a 3 and out so maybe he only played those 3 snaps?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
First round pick misses one tackle in PS week 1

Sizzle:
79601E78-8FAF-4C79-8E3C-60840C88F00D.png

marklar

Pro Bowler
I just watched the game in 40 minutes on gamepass and therefore miss a lot of the nuances, but anyway.

I see multiple places saying how Huntley looked improved. Sure, he had a lot of completions, but it was a lot of Flacco-like dumpoffs and the reason the WRs made spectacular catches shouldn't be because he threw them open. I thought he looked worse than last year's starting streak and this against worse opposition.
A Brown didn't look nearly as awful as I expected. But against end-of-roster guys, so there's that.

The WR group played far above expectation. I still don't expect that we need to carry more than 4 on the initial 53, but they at least did what they could to climb into contention. Will Bridges be the new fan fave of "the one who got away"? (and then did nothing elsewhere)

Nice drive by Geno Stone. Too bad he won't be playing much in the regular season, I like that dude.

I had pretty much forgotten about McCreary, but they guy does have some burst - even if it is against the wallmart crew. I wasn't too impressed with Davies. Justice at least looks like he did before the injury (end of roster guy at best)

Ross (46) looked pretty active, had a couple of nice plays. PS candidate.

The ST coverage units were pretty much shite.

Simba

Staff Member
Position by position analysis per usual...

QB:
Huntley looked meh. Lots of short stuff but was efficient and it's preseason so not too many complaints. Anthony Brown has the wonkiest throwing motion but did pretty well. Could be a PS candidate. Hundley has fallen far if he plays after a UDFA

RB:
Didn't see much from Davis but seems he's up the pecking order. Hill got limited run. Didn't see much from Badie either. McCrary had some nice runs and seems like a PS guy. I thought Clement might have been closer to the roster but his usage suggests he's merely camp fodder.

FB:
Ben Mason actually had a pretty damn good game.

WR:
Bridges is the obvious standout. Polk did pretty well and entered before Bridges which was interesting, but still seems like a PS guy more than a 53 man guy. Victor was close of a couple of big plays. Moore was quiet. Webb was active out there at WR and ST and could be another PS guy.

TE:
Just let Likely catch. Homie can't block but he was so good as a receiver.

OL:
Interesting alignments. Powers actually got some run at C. Mekari has some iffy snaps in a short time so you wonder if they're seeing what else they can do there. Hard to glean too much since they rotated so much but we know who's competing. James also looked pretty good at LT if he can stay healthy. Faalele with some solid work.

DL:
Jones is good. Mack showed out as well. Not worried about depth here in the slightest right now.

OLB:
Means was against water boys but was active all night and seems to have a leg up for OLB5 if they keep that many. Moon has some moments but seems more PS ish.

ILB:
Harrison had a really good game. None of the other ILBs really stood out but I think we already knew that.

CB:
Pepe had some shining moments and some other not so shining moments. Interested to see how he develops. Not too much else to say here since we were down to CB6 and beyond.

S:
Hamilton had an alright game. Needs to clean some things up but you can see the mental acuity. Stone was a dog and looks so much better back there.

ST:
Stout has a damn strong leg. You can see they're working on some directional stuff but the early signs are encouraging.

ST Units:
Usually this is where you can find some roster decision info, but with so many guys not playing last night, UDFAs were littered all over the coverage units. Based on snap counts, Josh Ross and Raleigh Webb look to be the 2 guys that you might see play some ST snaps at some point this season.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Who stood out to me:
Pepe Williams caught my eye all night. He just has that active around the ball

Stout has a fucking cannon as a leg. His holds to tucker look kinda strange, like his inside (left hand) is close to the ball but if it works it works.

Likely duh, guy is an absolute stuf

If we did end up trading chuck (obviously we won’t at this point), geno stone would fill in just as well if not better

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
As far as I am concerned, I am pretty pleased. In the past, the Titans have played us dirty, so I was worried about injuries. Our main guys were kept safe. We got the win and kept the streak alive. All and all, I was cool with it.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don’t like him at all.
I mean the only complaint is that he was being a tad too honest for the cameras. Why in the world would you be running in the preseason as a rookie who they want to be the starter someday? Furthermore, how does that help you evaluate players if you are not actually going to throw to the players? Basically I agree with the decision even if he should not have said it to the media.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Is it true that the Titans players were stomping on our logo again? I missed the very beginning.
I hope not, that was beyond disrespectful. I really dislike that organization. The Titans and the Bengals were the two most disrespectful/dirty teams. I don’t like them at all, along with the Colts of course.