• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar, The Running Game and The Defensive Collapse

Defense catching a lot of heat for this one and it's understandable.

But what about the botched snap that could of put us 14 to 0 at home, Also where was the offenses response to those 21 points scored in the 4th?
Well TBH the offense scored 38 today. On most days that’s plenty, so maybe a better question is: where was the defense in the 2nd half? I mean they played decent in the 1st half, minus no pass rush, but damn they was ugly in the 2nd half. Lol

Old Bay

Veteran
I've you drive your car only looking in your rearview mirror you're bound to crash sooner or later.

tenor (6).gif

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Defense catching a lot of heat for this one and it's understandable.

But what about the botched snap that could of put us 14 to 0 at home, Also where was the offenses response to those 21 points scored in the 4th?
The offense could move the ball but couldn't kill the clock. This loss is obviously not their fault, but it is something we'll need to be able to do moving forward.

Maybe the team needs to learn how to spread out and hit quick passes, like the Patriots used to.

Well TBH the offense scored 38 today. On most days that’s plenty, so maybe a better question is: where was the defense in the 2nd half? I mean they played decent in the 1st half, minus no pass rush, but damn they was ugly in the 2nd half. Lol
Humphrey and Peter's had limited snaps to preserve them so that hurt. Offense needed to step up to fill the void. They failed so many 3rd and 1 plays too

The offense could move the ball but couldn't kill the clock. This loss is obviously not their fault, but it is something we'll need to be able to do moving forward.

Maybe the team needs to learn how to spread out and hit quick passes, like the Patriots used to.
We're missing our bread and butter, the run game.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah but how effective is he going to be right away? Could take sometime

True.. but our run game sucks. Gotta try something. If we factor out Lamar’s run, we rushed 16 for 32 yards (2.3 yards per carry). What good is GRo at OC if the run game is this bad. Dude better off just hitting the snooze button and let Lamar call whatever he wants

rossihunter2

Staff Member
What I don't understand is given our pass game was far more effective than the run game why when we needed a yard we tried to smash it up the middle of a stacked box. Like you don't go for the knockout blow with your weaker hand.

it's also ridiculous because as soon as the dolphins tied it we started passing and suddenly we were driving again after 2 3 and outs where we ran the ball and put ourselves in 3rd and long (still should have converted one of those on the likely drop) - and the drive only stalled after we attempted to run the ball again

we've got a running game problem - but it really shouldnt have torpedoed this offence if we just stopped trying... dolphins could not stop us when we passed the ball all game - we didnt even punt until we started running the ball too much

rossihunter2

Staff Member

if you cant kill the clock, the next best thing is to drive and score TDs - we did neither because we tried to kill the clock

we played passively and it bit us

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
we've got a running game problem - but it really shouldnt have torpedoed this offence if we just stopped trying... dolphins could not stop us when we passed the ball all game - we didnt even punt until we started running the ball too much
Lamar was really critical (in the way that Lamar is) when talking to the media. Basically called out Roman for forcing the run when it wasn't working.

JO_75

Hall of Famer

This. Lamar and the offense puts up 38 points and we can't win the game? That should be enough, it would have been enough points any other time. I think as some alluded to, the way we constructed the roster with very little pass rush is partially to blame. Macdonald and everyone on defense not named Marcus Williams owe Lamar a big apology for giving this game away. All I know is we have got to beat the Patriots to get to 2-1 next week because if our defense is going to play like that against the Bills in Week 4, Josh Allen will carve us up like Tua did.