• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to the Ravens, Hayden Hurst and Lamar Jackson

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I've said all along that Lamar Jackson could end up as one of the best QBs from this draft. Sad to see the end of an era, but having Jackson does make me excited for the future. And he'll have a nice safety blanket in Hurst for the next five years... Well, the Hurst that won't try to get him killed, that is.

Last edited:

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I'm really excited. Let's work some magic tomorrow and I'll be happy.

Inqui

Pro Bowler
It feels weird to be one of the teams the pundits keep talking about in their post-draft breakdown. I have to wonder if Hurst was someone we ended up scrambling for a little after the Panthers took our guy, but if he becomes our Jason Witten I'll be beyond happy with that

I'll be honest, I'm a little apprehensive about Jackson. He's not joining some great company with his accuracy stats and his mechanics do worry me. But if he turns out to be a competent starter for us, then trading up into the first becomes a masterstroke (though I'd still have preferred it if we'd moved up for Rosen). I feel kinda excited in a slightly surreal way, but I have to admit I'll believe he's our guy when I see it. Looks like Joe's on the clock though and everything we do from here is gearing up for life after him. We knew that moment was coming but it's interesting to be here for real.

But welcome to Baltimore Hayden and Lamar. Here's hoping Ozzie's career can end the way it started - with two HoFers in the first round.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It feels weird to be one of the teams the pundits keep talking about in their post-draft breakdown. I have to wonder if Hurst was someone we ended up scrambling for a little after the Panthers took our guy, but if he becomes our Jason Witten I'll be beyond happy with that

I'll be honest, I'm a little apprehensive about Jackson. He's not joining some great company with his accuracy stats and his mechanics do worry me. But if he turns out to be a competent starter for us, then trading up into the first becomes a masterstroke (though I'd still have preferred it if we'd moved up for Rosen). I feel kinda excited in a slightly surreal way, but I have to admit I'll believe he's our guy when I see it. Looks like Joe's on the clock though and everything we do from here is gearing up for life after him. We knew that moment was coming but it's interesting to be here for real.

But welcome to Baltimore Hayden and Lamar. Here's hoping Ozzie's career can end the way it started - with two HoFers in the first round.

Dj Moore can’t have been our guy - I think everyone in the league knew that the panthers adored dj Moore so if we loved him we would never have traded to the pick behind them for just a 4th round pick

Lamar Jackson absolutely is a wildcard for us but this coaching staff have form in coaching up a guy with similar play style but much less raw talent in Tyrod

Jackson certainly needs work on his mechanics but when I was grading him I noticed that the specific problem with his footwork might be part of the reason for his inaccuracy - if we can fix that footwork then I think it will automatically improve his accuracy and touch - and I think Lamar knows that too just based off the way he ran his proday and the way he emphasised touch passing

And in terms of the value we got today

We essentially traded the 16th pick and a future 2nd rounder for Hayden hurst, Lamar Jackson and a move down from the 2nd to the early 3rd - and we picked up an extra 4th coming back

That’s great value overall

I like both picks. With hurst the age doesn’t bother me but for a first rounder he better come in and contribute now.

Lamar Jackson is a gamble for obvious reasons but I love what he brings to the table as a playmaker. The guy just produces offense. Also getting our guy for the future without giving up the entire farm for is a plus.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Man if you would've told me yesterday that this was going to be the name of this thread I wouldn't have believed it.

Inqui

Pro Bowler
I like both picks. With hurst the age doesn’t bother me but for a first rounder he better come in and contribute now.

Lamar Jackson is a gamble for obvious reasons but I love what he brings to the table as a playmaker. The guy just produces offense. Also getting our guy for the future without giving up the entire farm for is a plus.
I actually don't mind giving up the farm for the right guy (I know you and I were screaming for Ozzie to move up once Rosen got past the Bills and that really wouldn't have been expensive but I digress) but in this case I do like how we still have enough assets to start building around him so that if he does bust we can still have a better core around the next guy.

Dj Moore can’t have been our guy - I think everyone in the league knew that the panthers adored dj Moore so if we loved him we would never have traded to the pick behind them for just a 4th round pick

Lamar Jackson absolutely is a wildcard for us but this coaching staff have form in coaching up a guy with similar play style but much less raw talent in Tyrod

Jackson certainly needs work on his mechanics but when I was grading him I noticed that the specific problem with his footwork might be part of the reason for his inaccuracy - if we can fix that footwork then I think it will automatically improve his accuracy and touch - and I think Lamar knows that too just based off the way he ran his proday and the way he emphasised touch passing

And in terms of the value we got today

We essentially traded the 16th pick and a future 2nd rounder for Hayden hurst, Lamar Jackson and a move down from the 2nd to the early 3rd - and we picked up an extra 4th coming back

That’s great value overall
I wasn't commenting on the value of the picks, though I do get that we essentially got Hurst for a third (plus there's an economic value of not having a second-rounder to fuck up this year or next...), which isn't a bad haul. But even though I'm excited about Jackson's potential, I'm just saying I'm not getting fully on board the hype train until I see his mechanics noticeably improving. It's obviously a huge step up to the pros and it's too easy to say that we'll simply coach him up given it's so much easier said than done.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Jackson just looks so damn strange in the pocket to me. The way he stands there with such a narrow base...barely moving his feet at times...sometimes literally having his whole body facing the field in front of him instead of a natural QB stance..its so weird. I do love how he throws the ball so effortlessly though. Just with a little flick of the wrist. If he gets his base fixed (which surely cant be THAT hard with our staff) I think he can be pretty good. His decision making doesn't look bad to me which is a big plus. He really isn't that raw and probably could be ready to start after this season. It really helps that we have this coaching staff around him.

Also, sorry to you Harbaugh haters but I don't see him being let go anytime soon with this move.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Jackson just looks so damn strange in the pocket to me. The way he stands there with such a narrow base...barely moving his feet at times...sometimes literally having his whole body facing the field in front of him instead of a natural QB stance..its so weird. I do love how he throws the ball so effortlessly though. Just with a little flick of the wrist. If he gets his base fixed (which surely cant be THAT hard with our staff) I think he can be pretty good. His decision making doesn't look bad to me which is a big plus. He really isn't that raw and probably could be ready to start after this season. It really helps that we have this coaching staff around him.

Also, sorry to you Harbaugh haters but I don't see him being let go anytime soon with this move.
The James Urban signing as QB coach is going to be the best signing of all this season.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I'm still not sure whether Lamar will turn out good pro QB but I'm a sucker for underdogs and will be his biggest supporter.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Honestly the price we paid for Jackson is really cheap. So cheap that if he busts, well, it's not a big deal. We just spent two second round picks. Not even worth a first round pick on the scale.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter

I really agree. I think he'll need time to adjust mentally, but mechanics wise he'll get the help he needs with Urban.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
As for Hurst, his age scares me if he can't produce right out of the gate, but nothing tells me he can't. At the very least his two way game will let him have a Ben Watson type ofde production year one.

UKRaven

Practice Squad
Hurst for me must have been the target all along, there was no panic about it.

Derwin James was on the board at 16, along with Moore and Ridley, and Wynn etc and we traded back

Did again at 22, they were comfortable.

For me I think at 22 we must have been looking at both Hurst and Jackson (and probably another TE) and felt comfortable to edge back again

Agree with @Jacquouille the price for Jackson is cheap in reality. If he is a bust, well its just 2 more 2nd rounders that didn't work out, if that's the price for your future franchise QB then lets go!

Look at the price the Saints paid to move up!