• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to the Ravens, Hayden Hurst and Lamar Jackson

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
He quoted the same game when asked about the game he would point to the teams that wanted to draft him. Question was asked by NFL.com's Bucky Brooks I believe.
That's cool. Yeah he plays really inspired football in that particular game.

Tank

Hall of Famer
GC describes his throwing motion just as I observed, “not smooth or natural”. I think Lamar will have to adopt a more conventional throwing motion to be consistent from the pocket, we’ll see.
His play making ability with the run is an X factor that teams will have to deal with, but I don’t like my franchise QB regularly running and risking injury. To state the obvious, guys are bigger and faster in the NFL and Lamar’s comparatively slight build is not the kind that can take those hits. So the question remains for me that when he’s no longer regularly running will his game translate to the NFL.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Accuracy when taking drops into account is 67%. Interesting find.

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/status/961263645471764483

First thing I said after watching Jackson is that given the film I wouldn’t trust any “accuracy” comment that went off completion percentage

Interesting going through the rest of the stats on that thread - paints a pretty clear statistical picture of mayfield as the top qb with Rosen just behind and Darnold a bit further back

And it’s also pretty clear that just based off passing stats jackson is a better pocket passer than josh Allen (which is something I also noticed based off 2017 tape)

We’ll see how their respective careers go but I feel fairly good so far about the way I ranked this years qbs

rossihunter2

Staff Member
GC describes his throwing motion just as I observed, “not smooth or natural”. I think Lamar will have to adopt a more conventional throwing motion to be consistent from the pocket, we’ll see.
His play making ability with the run is an X factor that teams will have to deal with, but I don’t like my franchise QB regularly running and risking injury. To state the obvious, guys are bigger and faster in the NFL and Lamar’s comparatively slight build is not the kind that can take those hits. So the question remains for me that when he’s no longer regularly running will his game translate to the NFL.

I think it will - his base needs to be wider more often but I disagree that his throwing motion isn’t natural - it’s a bit whippy but it’s fairly smooth and generates a lot of ball speed with not much back lift or a long release - I don’t particularly think we need to rebuild his motion unless it’s a natural part of adjusting his footwork - but as a passer in general I see him throw with anticipation and he reads the field fairly well

My 2 worries as a pocket passer would be his low passer rating vs pressure and his inconsistent accuracy and touch on shorter and intermediate throws but he’s still young and is going to have plenty of time to develop those aspects alongside the mental stuff

Tank

Hall of Famer
I think it will - his base needs to be wider more often but I disagree that his throwing motion isn’t natural - it’s a bit whippy but it’s fairly smooth and generates a lot of ball speed with not much back lift or a long release - I don’t particularly think we need to rebuild his motion unless it’s a natural part of adjusting his footwork - but as a passer in general I see him throw with anticipation and he reads the field fairly well

My 2 worries as a pocket passer would be his low passer rating vs pressure and his inconsistent accuracy and touch on shorter and intermediate throws but he’s still young and is going to have plenty of time to develop those aspects alongside the mental stuff
I’m no expert in QB mechanics but I wouldn’t doubt the sometimes wobbly passes have a lot to do with starting his motion out in front of his body(whippy) rather than compact and tighter to his body, a more efficient and consistent motion. Like you said though he’s young and there’s plenty of time to develop his game.