• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Knowing how to win... Or, at the very least, knowing how NOT to lose.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
So this loss boils down to coaching. It's what some of us have been questioning about our team's success for some time. But it is a non-starter among others. (You might blame it on Lamar today, but heaven forbid...Lamar has been great on throwing it away in the recent past, so he hears the coaches...I'll leave it there.)

I will go back to the transition from Joe Flacco to Lamar. I had no problem with the switch. It had to happen and it was the right thing to do. But let's be honest, if Harbs hadn't made the change he likely would have been out. So for self preservation or because he knew it was the right thing to do, he did it.

Lamar excels. THAT bails Harbs and the rest of the coaching staff out. Was that coaching or Lamar? I say Lamar. The coaching benefited from Lamar's performance. On both sides of the ball, btw. In 2018 and 2019 the TOP - something discussed, maybe not extensively, but recognized - was enormously in our favor. Who benefited? The HC, OFF Coordinator, the DEF Coordinator- to a lesser extent, and Lamar.

Lamar - Playoffs - that's a huge question mark, despite those of us wanting to believe in him and apologists - who, shockingly, want to blame coaching or lack of organizational talent for (his) gaffs in losses.

Personally, I'm sick of giving Lamar passes. I'm sick of giving REF's the credit for us winning or losing. And I'm sick of not having a real discussion on how changing an old coaching staff might benefit us. It's almost like we're just willing to accept that the devil we know is better than the devil we don't argument.

We are a great franchise that is well owned and managed. I'm sick of being close. I know players make errors, but coaches are there to teach and help to make improvements. I don't see that happening under the current coaching staff from the top down. It's the same sloppiness over many years.

Feel free to desagree. I know many of you will. But if we are going to make a franchise decision and pay a guy historic money, I want a coaching staff that is built around that guy. None of these guys are worthy.

This team can't hold out to win or hold out NOT to lose. That's poor coaching.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Who would you propose would be the new coach if Harbaugh were fired?

Jesus Christ, this bullshit response... AGAIN. Again, I say to thee, who would have thought of Harbaugh as our next HC when we were thinking of getting rid of Billick, let alone when we fired him?

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Okay, you don't have an answer (shocker). Moving on then.

See, what did I say, folks? Always a veiled response and question. They have no clue what to say themselves when it's brought up that Harbaugh himself was on nobody's radar at the time of his hiring.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
They have no clue what to say themselves when it's brought up that Harbaugh himself was on nobody's radar at the time of his hiring.
And this pertains to my question in any, shape, or form because?

I genuinely want to know who the fanbase would want as the next HC.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor

Lol ok. Sorry for bringing that up, seeing as how every single time I or anyone else bring up firing him, some smartass comments and says who would you even hire, there's no one else out there better. That wouldn't by any chance be your end goal here, now would it?

D1City55

Pro Bowler

So I typically don't call for Harbaugh to be fired, but if Sean Payton were to be available then....

But outside of that, we can't really say who until the end of the season. It's hard finding HC gems but I would definitely hope for an offensive minded HC if anything given that we have a culture that values building defense.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
So I typically don't call for Harbaugh to be fired, but if Sean Payton were to be available then....

But outside of that, we can't really say who until the end of the season. It's hard finding HC gems but I would definitely hope for an offensive minded HC if anything given that we have a culture that values building defense.
One of the big issues I have with Sean Payton is he's under the Saints control through 2024, so any team looking to sign him has to give up likely two first rounders and do I want to give that up when building through the draft becomes more the way to go after a Lamar mega deal?

One guy I'd be intrigued by, and I don't know how he's viewed in NFL coaching circles, but Ken Dorsey. Buffalo hasn't missed a beat without Daboll and he was Josh Allen's quarterback coach and we've seen his monstrous transformation.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
One of the big issues I have with Sean Payton is he's under the Saints control through 2024, so any team looking to sign him has to give up likely two first rounders and do I want to give that up when building through the draft becomes more the way to go after a Lamar mega deal?

One guy I'd be intrigued by, and I don't know how he's viewed in NFL coaching circles, but Ken Dorsey. Buffalo hasn't missed a beat without Daboll and he was Josh Allen's quarterback coach and we've seen his monstrous transformation.
Yeah I totally forgot about that. It's why no one will make a move for Payton until then.

I like Ken Dorsey and he was a big part of Buffalo and Josh Allen's massive strides in the passing game. There will be more names as the season goes on but I'm totally on board with bringing an offensive minded HC no question.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
There will be more names as the season goes on but I'm totally on board with bringing an offensive minded HC no question.
If Harbaugh is fired, I want an offensive minded coach, no questions asked.

My head canon is that Harbaugh refuses to hire offensive coordinators with high potential because they're easy head coaching candidates and they fly the coop quickly. Instead, he settles for mediocre minds who he knows won't become head coaches for the sake of continuity.

Is it true? Probably not. He might just have an issue with nepotism more than anything. But that's my excuse for why the Ravens can't have a nice coordinator like a McVay or Shanahan.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
If Harbaugh is fired, I want an offensive minded coach, no questions asked.

My head canon is that Harbaugh refuses to hire offensive coordinators with high potential because they're easy head coaching candidates and they fly the coop quickly. Instead, he settles for mediocre minds who he knows won't become head coaches for the sake of continuity.

Is it true? Probably not. He might just have an issue with nepotism more than anything. But that's my excuse for why the Ravens can't have a nice coordinator like a McVay or Shanahan.
I hope that's not his line of thinking. IMO I think he's just not the best judge of talent or skill. I don't think there's any other reason beyond that. We've had some pretty awful OCs in the past such as Cameron and Trestman which cost us Shannahan and probably a few other bright minds. That's kind of where I'm leaning towards right now.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Lol ok. Sorry for bringing that up, seeing as how every single time I or anyone else bring up firing him, some smartass comments and says who would you even hire, there's no one else out there better. That wouldn't by any chance be your end goal here, now would it?
It’s not a smartass comment dude, you take this proposed question as an attack and get combative the second you see it, you do it every time.

Harbaugh was on nobody’s radar in 2008, 4 head coaches were hired in 2008 and harbaugh was the only long term success, two of them failed miserably within 2 seasons and mike smith had some successful seasons in Atlanta, and that’s it. Every year you see a handful of coach hirings and a vast majority of them are miserable failures, you might get one long term quality head coach every few years, out of a handful of hirings every year.

If you want to fire a head coach of John harbaughs stature, your replacement plan shouldn’t be just hoping you luck out with an extremely low percentage move, just because you lucked out the last time you did it. Probably better off with the guy you lucked out with to begin with.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
It’s not a smartass comment dude, you take this proposed question as an attack and get combative the second you see it, you do it every time.

Harbaugh was on nobody’s radar in 2008, 4 head coaches were hired in 2008 and harbaugh was the only long term success, two of them failed miserably within 2 seasons and mike smith had some successful seasons in Atlanta, and that’s it. Every year you see a handful of coach hirings and a vast majority of them are miserable failures, you might get one long term quality head coach every few years, out of a handful of hirings every year.

If you want to fire a head coach of John harbaughs stature, your replacement plan shouldn’t be just hoping you luck out with an extremely low percentage move, just because you lucked out the last time you did it. Probably better off with the guy you lucked out with to begin with.

Oh yes, because mediocrity is what this team should and always has strived for. I forgot

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer

I appreciate your effort, but this thread is a reminder to not feed the trolls.

He has no intention of engaging the discussion at hand- he only seeks to stir the pot.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

Eric Bieniemy, it’s time. Much better offensive mind than John

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Eric Bieniemy, it’s time. Much better offensive mind than John
I want to know how he hasn't gotten a shot yet. Is it the college scandals? Is it that people view Reid as the actual mastermind? Does he just interview that poorly? I feel like he will be the number one "how does he not have a head coaching job?" until he finally gets it.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I appreciate your effort, but this thread is a reminder to not feed the trolls.

He has no intention of engaging the discussion at hand- he only seeks to stir the pot.

And here we go…. I’m a troll for voicing the opinion of the majority, blah blah blah. Seriously.