• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Knowing how to win... Or, at the very least, knowing how NOT to lose.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'd agree. I'm in the same boat as you, although, I think the Eagles are a pretty stacked team.

I don't think making moves in season makes much sense and I'd rather see the season play out as the Ravens move into a more cupcake portion of their schedule. I would like the entire season to work with instead of freaking out after every loss.
And the last part is my exact reference to "fans need to do better". Six weeks is a big enough sample size for fans to realize that the "highs" are never as high as you think, and the "lows" are never that low, either.

It's a week to week league. Always has been. Never more true than this year.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
And the last part is my exact reference to "fans need to do better". Six weeks is a big enough sample size for fans to realize that the "highs" are never as high as you think, and the "lows" are never that low, either.

It's a week to week league. Always has been. Never more true than this year.
I think of it like flipping a coin-

If I flip a coin 1,000 times, I will not go H-T-H-T etc. all the way through. I will have H-H-H-H-H or vice versa.

Similarly, this team will certainly have its moments where they look amazing for a few weeks. And they'll have lows like recently where they look like ass.

I want to see the entire season play out and then add that to the past few seasons to have a complete look, not a conclusion based on the most recent game.

Basically just agreeing with you.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
This comment is completely inappropriate from a moderator. Frankly, your response was more an example of trolling than my OP. I'm not an expert on who might be on the radar for HC jobs in the NFL, but I'm sure the team is aware of many potential replacements - just as they found Harbs in their last search.

But the smugness with which you respond to a legitimate thread and opinion held by many on this forum is simply shocking to me especially from a Moderator. I appreciate some of your other responses in the thread and I "liked" them. But as somebody that is here for fun and having some discussion, I can do without the condescending "know-it-all-ish" responses from some posters, particularly Mods.

Yeah, the wrong moderator was definitely chosen as the ousted one. He’s a terrible poster

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
Yeah, I'm gonna disagree with you here and say I'm sorry you feel the way you do.

I asked a question. I genuinely wanted to take your OP a step further.

Okay, we fire Harbaugh (something I could be behind/generally lean toward myself)- what next? Who's your dream coach? Who would you like to see coach the Ravens?

Sizzle's responses weren't meant to actually have a discussion- they were meant to just rile people up.

I'm sorry if you think my original question was smug, but it's a legitimate discussion point and the fact that people view it as combative is a them issue, not a me issue.
Fair enough.

I would like to see an OFF minded coach with a proven track record. I admit that Sean Payton would be someone, but with the picks or compensation needed, that would scare me off. Whether it's someone who is an OC now or a notable Asst. OC, I'll leave it to the experts. I would say that looking at the Bills, Chiefs, Rams, Chargers, Saints (because of their use Taysom Hill) would be good places to start. I'm not a fan of college coaches.

So philosophically, I'm generally against in season firings. But my reason for starting the thread is because when you have what you feel is a talented team who make dumb mistakes and bad decisions - and it's not just one guy - the onus for change goes to coaching. So coaches heads are the first to roll.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Fair enough.

I would like to see an OFF minded coach with a proven track record. I admit that Sean Payton would be someone, but with the picks or compensation needed, that would scare me off. Whether it's someone who is an OC now or a notable Asst. OC, I'll leave it to the experts. I would say that looking at the Bills, Chiefs, Rams, Chargers, Saints (because of their use Taysom Hill) would be good places to start. I'm not a fan of college coaches.

So philosophically, I'm generally against in season firings. But my reason for starting the thread is because when you have what you feel is a talented team who make dumb mistakes and bad decisions - and it's not just one guy - the onus for change goes to coaching. So coaches heads are the first to roll.
I am generally of the mindset that I am fine with a Harbaugh firing. I generally think that the team has failed to perform since 2014 and one playoff win in seven seasons is pretty unacceptable when the Ravens are generally a very talented team. I think Harbaugh was cruising to a firing in 2018 until Lamar swooped in.

I alluded to this before, but I do wonder if the Ravens don't hire great offensive coordinators because they're such hot head coaching candidates and they want continuity. Who sees a guy like Morninwheg (sp?) or Trestman getting a head coaching job? No one. So, they could conceivably be here for years. But Kyle Shanahan or Sean McVay? They're likely a one and done.

If the Ravens were to fire Harbaugh, I'm in the same boat- I would want an offensive minded head coach. The name I put out was Ken Dorsey, but I want someone who can consistently help elevate Lamar to the next level.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'll shockingly back Sizzle for one thing... this idea that you can't fire a coach because you can't name a replacement who is better is really, really, really bad analysis. Like really bad.
If a marriage is bad, you exit the marriage. You don't wait until you find somebody else to love you before you do it. You just do it.

BUT... this marriage isn't bad. It's not divorce-worthy in my eyes. It's just not working as well as it probably should right now. It's a roster with a good amount of holes, and a coaching staff that needs to do better, and for fuck's sake, a player pool that certainly needs to play better (and a shit load smarter than what I saw yesterday). And if that doesn't happen, coaches ain't going to be the only guys getting pink slips. Life only gets harder when Lamar makes more money...

Since evidently I'm the "optimist" around here... we are 3-3. Stuck smack dab in the middle of a shit ton of mediocrity in this league. The Giants aren't better than us. Neither are the Dolphins. Look at our division. Look at some of the games played yesterday. There's nothing special going on in this league right now. Nothing. Buffalo and Philly are the two best teams I've seen, and we were beating Buffalo for like 3 quarters.

You're not the hero they wanted.......

but the hero they needed.....

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
So I have two questions, and they are somewhat legitimate questions:
1. Why do people think sloppy penalties and turnovers are functions of coaching? Am I the only one who thinks that's why we lost yesterday? Like I've literally never heard anybody defend that opinion or have any basis for it whatsoever.
It's a leadership/accountability issue shared between the players and coaches. The team lacks mental discipline, and silly turnovers/penalties are a product of that organizational shortcoming. Harb's reaction, or lack thereof, to Lamar's Int says a lot. `
I can guarantee you everybody this... if you attended every Ravens practice, one thing you would NEVER see is coaches teaching players how to line up illegally. Or coaches teaching players how to not snap the ball correctly. Or coaches teaching players how to take helmets off of opponents and swing them mildly in the air like a neanderthal.
It's a lack of leadership; we don't have it from a player's perspective. John can only do so much, but I'd be willing the bet the players think their shit doesn't stink. That shows up on the practice field and bleeds over to game day with mistakes. Lamar isn't a leader; I know people think he is, but I doubt it. He's not a rah-rah guy, and that's fine, but someone has to be, and it needs to be one of your stars.
2. I'll entertain coaching changes... in the offseason. The whole firing the HC or even coordinators mid-season bullshit rarely yields any positives at all. Plus every single person here knows this team isn't anywhere close to bad enough to warrant Harbaugh getting the ax.
Change is good. I agree that there's no need to do it until the off-season. I think Harbs has done enough to warrant a termination. He has a rare talent in his prime, and the results just haven't been there. I'd argue its gotten worse as their time together has gone on. I'd like to see the Ravens pay Lamar this offseason, release John, release Roman, and entice Beinenmy to become the new HC. John needs to make a deep playoff, no sloppy losses where the team looks like a shell of itself. If not, start fresh; change is good.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
If Harbaugh is fired, I want an offensive minded coach, no questions asked.

My head canon is that Harbaugh refuses to hire offensive coordinators with high potential because they're easy head coaching candidates and they fly the coop quickly. Instead, he settles for mediocre minds who he knows won't become head coaches for the sake of continuity.

Is it true? Probably not. He might just have an issue with nepotism more than anything. But that's my excuse for why the Ravens can't have a nice coordinator like a McVay or Shanahan.

But is Greg Roman really mediocre minded though? I honestly think he's probably the most creative offensive coordinator The Ravens have had. Gary Kubiak might be the better overall coordinator though

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
But is Greg Roman really mediocre minded though? I honestly think he's probably the most creative offensive coordinator The Ravens have had. Gary Kubiak might be the better overall coordinator though

I think you are right about the creativity in the run game.

Kubiak is far greater. We really haven’t had great offensive coordinators like that.

This has been the most explosive offense we have ever had (Roman era)

Sandtown

Pro Bowler

Kubiak is far greater. We really haven’t had great offensive coordinators like that.

Honestly I always wonder would our opinions of Kubiak still be the same as it is now if he had lasted for three years or more as The Ravens offensive coordinator. Greg Roman offensive scheme or system isn't really too far off from Gary Kubiak offensive scheme/system. I give Kubiak more props when it comes to the passing game though but they are somethings I see Greg Roman do with the passing game that i'm not sure Kubiak shown before. Roman does indeed add some college concepts to his passing offense and some of the passing concept is similar to what you may The Chiefs do.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Honestly I always wonder would our opinions of Kubiak still be the same as it is now if he had lasted for three years or more as The Ravens offensive coordinator. Greg Roman offensive scheme or system isn't really too far off from Gary Kubiak offensive scheme/system. I give Kubiak more props when it comes to the passing game though but they are somethings I see Greg Roman do with the passing game that i'm not sure Kubiak shown before. Roman does indeed add some college concepts to his passing offense and some of the passing concept is similar to what you may The Chiefs do.

Roman hands down is the running game/RPO guru.

Kubiak had Justin Forsett rush for 1266!

If you look up his stats that is NUTS lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member

yeah im really confused why people are down on greg roman right now?
is it just because steve smith sr and dan orlovsky pointed out spacing issues back in 2020???

he's been a great coordinator over the last 3+ years and the last 2 years especially has been turning water into wine and adjusting consistently both in game-planning and in-game play-calling based on how defences are defending us - i think it's fair to quibble with some situational stuff, especially this year in short yardage and inside the 10 but i also think that to dwell on just those issues is to not see the forest for the trees

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

Roman hands down is the running game/RPO guru.

Kubiak had Justin Forsett rush for 1266!

If you look up his stats that is NUTS lol
Yeah let's not bring Gary "we're building a foundation here" K****k's name. I'm still triggered over that LMAO.