• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I all seriousness, I agree with you that that's what they should do. Then again, how often has Ozzie and Eric done anything that we might expect. You could probably count the instances on one hand.

i dunno: i thought they'd take mosley, i thought they'd aim at a wr in 2015 (although i had no idea it would be perriman), i knew they'd take a tackle (like most people) in 2016 and early on assumed they'd take a corner in 2017 (although when sidney jones went down i kinda had no idea what they'd do

i think generally if you look beyond just first round picks they are actually quite predictable - we often pick with the strength of a draft class because teams ahead of us reach for need (often against the strength of the class) which is why i would find it weird if we ended up with a wideout or a corner in the first round next year but who knows

in 2014 loads of people had mosley and loads had us taking camp too

as much as people wanted oline and wr who actually thought it would happen in the first two days this year? a lot of us expected corner and edge rusher and we ended up with a corner and 2 edge rushers (including two guys a lot of us mocked in bowser and timmy) in the first 2 days

many pegged wideout in 2015 just got the wrong one with perriman - still surprised by how many mocked us jaelen strong but heyho and maxx williams at tight end - and we picked him - even carl davis was on the table (only as a first round mock rather than a 3rd rounder...)

as much as people wanted jalen ramsey or joey bosa - most of us mocked a tackle (kudos to those who mocked ronnie over tunsil but i didnt watch much oline film then and was a sheep to the media idea of tunsil) in 2016 and lo and behold we got one as well as an edge guy (even if he didnt pan out yet - or ever) - likewise so many of us wanted and expected us to take matt judon and we did

i think you have to remember that we wont get them all right but often the general idea behind a draft can be quite predictable if you think about it - i really dont think that many of us were surprised by the outcome of this year's draft - i cant think of a pick that really surprised me (except chuck clark - i was like "damn who?")

Rav'n Maniac

Practice Squad
i dunno: i thought they'd take mosley, i thought they'd aim at a wr in 2015 (although i had no idea it would be perriman), i knew they'd take a tackle (like most people) in 2016 and early on assumed they'd take a corner in 2017 (although when sidney jones went down i kinda had no idea what they'd do

i think generally if you look beyond just first round picks they are actually quite predictable - we often pick with the strength of a draft class because teams ahead of us reach for need (often against the strength of the class) which is why i would find it weird if we ended up with a wideout or a corner in the first round next year but who knows

in 2014 loads of people had mosley and loads had us taking camp too

as much as people wanted oline and wr who actually thought it would happen in the first two days this year? a lot of us expected corner and edge rusher and we ended up with a corner and 2 edge rushers (including two guys a lot of us mocked in bowser and timmy) in the first 2 days

many pegged wideout in 2015 just got the wrong one with perriman - still surprised by how many mocked us jaelen strong but heyho and maxx williams at tight end - and we picked him - even carl davis was on the table (only as a first round mock rather than a 3rd rounder...)

as much as people wanted jalen ramsey or joey bosa - most of us mocked a tackle (kudos to those who mocked ronnie over tunsil but i didnt watch much oline film then and was a sheep to the media idea of tunsil) in 2016 and lo and behold we got one as well as an edge guy (even if he didnt pan out yet - or ever) - likewise so many of us wanted and expected us to take matt judon and we did

i think you have to remember that we wont get them all right but often the general idea behind a draft can be quite predictable if you think about it - i really dont think that many of us were surprised by the outcome of this year's draft - i cant think of a pick that really surprised me (except chuck clark - i was like "damn who?")
All great points. I was a little surprised with the Bowser pick in the 2nd as I thought the may go OL there. I'm glad they got him though. Then I was certain they were going OL in the 3rd when they took Wormley. I never expected they would have gone DL there even though they just traded Jernigan and considering we needed two OLine.

I guess that maybe I'm just not good at trying to anticipate their board as I don't follow college ball all that much outside of the bowl games. I really follow what guys like you and many others are saying on here and try to watch some film on most of the hot players you all recommend.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
All great points. I was a little surprised with the Bowser pick in the 2nd as I thought the may go OL there. I'm glad they got him though. Then I was certain they were going OL in the 3rd when they took Wormley. I never expected they would have gone DL there even though they just traded Jernigan and considering we needed two OLine.

I guess that maybe I'm just not good at trying to anticipate their board as I don't follow college ball all that much outside of the bowl games. I really follow what guys like you and many others are saying on here and try to watch some film on most of the hot players you all recommend.

i think obviously it's extremely difficult to know exactly what they're gonna do and wormley was both a surprise and not a surprise at all (because michigan lol) but you can normally get an idea of which way the ravens draft is gonna trend before the draft

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Hurst and Bergstrom are the most unphysical tandem in the league. As much as elumenors personality rubs me the wrong way i still think hes worth a shot at RG and hopefully in a couple of weeks we'll get a big upgrade in a trade for Incognito or carpenter at LG.

Stanley, Carpenter (incognito), Jensen, Elumenor, Howard
I have to admit I don't know much about Eluemunor's personality, what runs you the wrong way?

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
So, PFF graded Jensen as the third best center of Week 2, just .2 points behind Hudson of the Raiders.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
So far looking like the best RT we have had in a long time... Definitely a lot better in run support than Wagner was so far.
Austin Howard is a much better run blocker than pass blocker, whereas the opposite is true for Wagner.

The Raven

Veteran
Austin Howard is a much better run blocker than pass blocker, whereas the opposite is true for Wagner.
Idk Howard's looked pretty good in pass pro too

So far I think we've actually upgraded at RT. Howard has been head and shoulders better than Wagner in the run game and his pass protection is solid. He's not the brick wall that Wagner was but there are only 3-4 really bad pass pro snaps that come to mind for me.

It's really all a matter of getting guys that fit the scheme and then asking them to do what they can do well.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So far I think we've actually upgraded at RT. Howard has been head and shoulders better than Wagner in the run game and his pass protection is solid. He's not the brick wall that Wagner was but there are only 3-4 really bad pass pro snaps that come to mind for me.

It's really all a matter of getting guys that fit the scheme and then asking them to do what they can do well.

I liked Wagner but I wouldn't describe him as a brick wall in pass protection...

And I would categorically say at this point that Howard has outplayed Stanley up til now (not saying Stanley isn't our best lineman left just that he's had a couple of shaky moments albeit he improved from week 1 to 2)

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I liked Wagner but I wouldn't describe him as a brick wall in pass protection...

And I would categorically say at this point that Howard has outplayed Stanley up til now (not saying Stanley isn't our best lineman left just that he's had a couple of shaky moments albeit he improved from week 1 to 2)
Stanley seems to gather rust very quickly and takes a little while to knock it off. Hopefully he doesn't get hurt much more because we need him to be himself, which is a top 5 LT

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
He likes to hunt. A lot of people hunt for sport

''We like to chop the heads off people we think are witches, we think it's the right thing to do''

''we like watching black slaves do shit for our amusement''

''we like pitbull fighting, it's a great sport''

Rav'n Maniac

Practice Squad

''We like to chop the heads off people we think are witches, we think it's the right thing to do''

''we like watching black slaves do shit for our amusement''

''we like pitbull fighting, it's a great sport''
Just be glad he's not hunting Sami cause if he read this site he possibly could be.