• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think a LG is definitely in play in the first round but I haven't seen anyone emerge right now. Alex Lewis went down with that ACL injury and can you be sure that you can depend on him? I think we've got our eyes on a QB but the right guy needs to show up to put the pressure on Joe. Another position though has to be WR. We got Maclin for one more year and Wallace is a FA. Even though I believe in Perriman, the way things are isn't helping him at all and he's not going to be relied upon going forward if the trend continues. It wouldn't surprise me if we took Calvin Ridley or Christian Kirk or went hard after whoever is the top WR. WR is very high on the list.
Lewis didn't have an ACL injury. He had elective shoulder surgery and that's why he is done for the year. Siragusa is the one who shredded every ligament--that's an exaggeration, btw. I don't know if we can depend on Lewis but I think the Ravens will. We definitely need a WR, RB, OL, and QB, and maybe a TE. We need to reload the entire offense at every level. I just don't think we'll throw our early picks at OL.

Lewis didn't have an ACL injury. He had elective shoulder surgery and that's why he is done for the year. Siragusa is the one who shredded every ligament--that's an exaggeration, btw. I don't know if we can depend on Lewis but I think the Ravens will. We definitely need a WR, RB, OL, and QB, and maybe a TE. We need to reload the entire offense at every level. I just don't think we'll throw our early picks at OL.
Wow, got that wrong I've been totally off lately but yeah Lewis is a guy who is questionable because the team will surely want the OL to play better and will want to do something there, I think Jensen stays and Stanley is certainly in the teams plans, I think we'll retain Howard if he keeps up his play. That legit leaves LG as a position to upgrade and to be honest we do miss K.O and I think the team wants an effective replacement there, I just think LG is the odd-man out.

We have needs everywhere on offense and I think drastic changes will take place for certain. My problem with the offense is that we don't have transcendent players there. Even if you don't have one at WR it's good to have one at RB and we're missing one. We don't have that weapon where defenses are keeping their eyes on him 24/7 because they know that he's capable of a big play and right now I would take that over anything.

I wouldnt mind moving on from Lewis if we can find stronger linemen. Luckily we have the two most important positions worked out with Stanley and Jensen.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Wow, got that wrong I've been totally off lately but yeah Lewis is a guy who is questionable because the team will surely want the OL to play better and will want to do something there, I think Jensen stays and Stanley is certainly in the teams plans, I think we'll retain Howard if he keeps up his play. That legit leaves LG as a position to upgrade and to be honest we do miss K.O and I think the team wants an effective replacement there, I just think LG is the odd-man out.

We have needs everywhere on offense and I think drastic changes will take place for certain. My problem with the offense is that we don't have transcendent players there. Even if you don't have one at WR it's good to have one at RB and we're missing one. We don't have that weapon where defenses are keeping their eyes on him 24/7 because they know that he's capable of a big play and right now I would take that over anything.
I think we will keep Lewis still at LG because that seems to be where we want him honestly. I think the plan was to put Nico at C next year but his knee was shredded so there goes that plan. I think we wanted him to get acclimated this year and take over next. That’s why I think we will go after an OL early but I don’t think it’ll be multiple positions. I see us taking two OL just not throwing 1st and 2nd and 3rd round picks on them lol. We definitely need a WR, legit RB, and a QB. I’d go with those guys and wait on TE.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think we will keep Lewis still at LG because that seems to be where we want him honestly. I think the plan was to put Nico at C next year but his knee was shredded so there goes that plan. I think we wanted him to get acclimated this year and take over next. That’s why I think we will go after an OL early but I don’t think it’ll be multiple positions. I see us taking two OL just not throwing 1st and 2nd and 3rd round picks on them lol. We definitely need a WR, legit RB, and a QB. I’d go with those guys and wait on TE.

Is Nico's career over?

A #1 WR or QB you go up and get in the first round, and theyre the two most high risk positions to draft.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Is Nico's career over?
I don’t think so, personally, but it’s definitely fair to question if he can recover and make an impact next year after missing his entire rookie campaign. That’s where I have my questions on whether or not he can make an impact and start next year. He isn’t a DB or a WR or a guy who really would typically suffer from long term effects but it could hurt his quickness and that sucks but as an inside guy you can sorta mask that anyway so it may not be a huge deal.

A #1 WR or QB you go up and get in the first round, and theyre the two most high risk positions to draft.
I don’t disagree with trading up to get one being a risk but we’ve seen guys taken in the late first and/or second round and they have made an impact and become very good players like Jimmy and Carr

jboy19

Pro Bowler
So much is going to be in flux on the line next year. Jensen and Hurst are UFAs and not guaranteed to return. The team may not want to pick up Howard's option (would be a 5M cap hit). Yanda is going to be 34 and coming off a significant ankle injury. Siragusa and Lewis are coming off injuries (but should be productive members imo). So there could be a lot of questions next year- the RT and C spots could be big problems if FAs walk and contract guys aren't rehabbed.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
So much is going to be in flux on the line next year. Jensen and Hurst are UFAs and not guaranteed to return. The team may not want to pick up Howard's option (would be a 5M cap hit). Yanda is going to be 34 and coming off a significant ankle injury. Siragusa and Lewis are coming off injuries (but should be productive members imo). So there could be a lot of questions next year- the RT and C spots could be big problems if FAs walk and contract guys aren't rehabbed.
I feel Yanda would return and still be a very good if not top 5 Guard in the league, even after injury. I've always looked at Howard as a stop gap one year signing and if he does have a good year, then he may be worth the 5m option. Agree that Siragusa and Lewis will be productive, even if they are only backups. Hurst, I won't miss and Jensen should be able to be signed relatively cheap.

Sure we can be hopeful but there seem to be a lot of rose tinted assumptions being thrown around, we're really in bad shape and none of these assumptions are guaranteed:

-Lewis, Goose, Eluemenor being the answer to our interior issues

-Hurst becoming reliable

-Yanda returns to his best and plays another season

-Jensen takes a hometown discount

-Stanley lives up to the hype

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Sure we can be hopeful but there seem to be a lot of rose tinted assumptions being thrown around, we're really in bad shape and none of these assumptions are guaranteed:

-Lewis, Goose, Eluemenor being the answer to our interior issues

-Hurst becoming reliable

-Yanda returns to his best and plays another season

-Jensen takes a hometown discount

-Stanley lives up to the hype

it's pretty bad to be honest. I think the team needs to consider REBUILDING rather than retooling and simply use next year to build the best up and coming O line in football. Forget about playoffs and stuff like that. Just totally dedicate it to the O line.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
it's pretty bad to be honest. I think the team needs to consider REBUILDING rather than retooling and simply use next year to build the best up and coming O line in football. Forget about playoffs and stuff like that. Just totally dedicate it to the O line.
Stanley is the LT of the future and we need someone to replace Yanda when he is gone. The rest of the pieces should be replaced, unless Jensen has a top 10 year and I don't see that happening. Rebuilding wouldn't be the word, but we definitely need an offensive line. Brady couldn't play behind this line.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
sometimes teams need to know when their window is shut and build through FA and top round picks. Get an Andrew Norwell, Get a Nelson in the draft, draft a tackle in the 2nd round

IMO the O line is the most important group in football.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
sometimes teams need to know when their window is shut and build through FA and top round picks. Get an Andrew Norwell, Get a Nelson in the draft, draft a tackle in the 2nd round

IMO the O line is the most important group in football.
Both the ol and the dl are equally as important to me. The team needs to win the battle in the trenches in both offense and defense.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm actually quite sick to my stomach that no one has had the balls to say at press conferences

''John you sing the same note every week but you've been a sub 500 team since 2012, thats 4 plus years''.

I really worry that steve biscuit is in love with this guy and he'll be around for more than a year from now :(

redrum52

Hall of Famer

I pray we don't go WR in round 1 with Ozzie pulling the trigger... I'm hoping these 1 year deal guys are let go and we can pick them up in FA and attack OL/RB in the draft.