• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

Sooky

Pro Bowler
I'm sure he could play RG. His primary role in school was at left guard where he was a three year starter and I believe that's how we saw him, though I do remember some talk of him taking snaps at the center position for us.

Was Eleumonor the supposed Yanda replacement down the road? I'll be curious to see how much he has improved.
I do think Eleumonor needs improvement but I definitely see him as a future guard than tackle. But I know they keep saying they like Alex Lewis at tackle and he has been out awhile. It will be interesting to see how they shift these players on the o-line with how well Hurst played at guard last year.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah I feel bad for people who use those NFL.com grades/mocks when watching the draft. So many of them are really bad. He's good for a few gems here and there (just like everybody), but for the most part... ew

which i find crazy because the way he talks on tv about prospects is often really interesting and nuanced - i mean tbf with the writeups he does them early on pre-combine and i dont think he ever changes them - ive got to think that there's a fair few who he watches maybe like 1 whole game on just to get a grade in by the deadline

but that doesnt excuse the weird reasoning behind mock drafts that he writes now...

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
he said - and tbh it probably is true that our oline is in a better position than it was at this point last year but obviously i expect us to go and improve
the whole conversation came up with regards to a question about alex lewis at center and harbs said of course he could be tried there - i think that, more than anything else, is indicative that we will have a few targets in the draft because lewis at center only happens if we get a tackle so that we shift hurst to guard or we get a guard that shifts lewis to center...

and the more mock drafts i do and see the more i see mcglinchey right around our spot at 16 and it makes an awful lot of sense to me
he can say as much as he wants, but I'm positive the oline will be improved in the draft. What is he going to say. We are going to draft the best offensive lineman in the first round. You know that and I know that.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
We shall see - I imagine that would change in an instant if we get a premier right tackle talent in the draft

I think with hurst they have someone the coaching staff feels confident manning that spot and he was paid accordingly but they would obviously be happy to improve every position group
not only that. McGlinchey gives us some flexibility because he can play both left and right tackle. If Stanley goes down he can switch to left tackle.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Going back to the Kolton Miller tape; hes honestly not that bad in Pass Pro and thats where i think he gets his value. He understands his length and hes a good mover for his size. Athletic kid for sure but he has no punch. He catches people rather than giving them a shot. He must rely on his technique and needs to work at being consistent with it otherwise his height becomes a major liability. When he has good pad level and leverage with good active hands he moves people in the run game and they cant get past him. There is a boat load of tape on him too so yall should take a look.

This was a good watch to see his positives and negatives, he starts off slow and weak but he does show some good power at times. He shows promise

rossihunter2

Staff Member
he can say as much as he wants, but I'm positive the oline will be improved in the draft. What is he going to say. We are going to draft the best offensive lineman in the first round. You know that and I know that.

not only that. McGlinchey gives us some flexibility because he can play both left and right tackle. If Stanley goes down he can switch to left tackle.

oh im absolutely advocating get an olineman in the first round if the bpa is there - im hoping we have some tough decisions to make at 16 because lots of guys fell to our spot...

mcglinchey would be a phenomenal pickup - im not sure there's a player that immediately impacts our team better than him except for maybe ridley due to positional value and one of the top 3 guys on the board (who wont be there)

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Kolton Miller also had 24 reps at the combine and has 10 3/4 inch hands with 34+ arm length. When he uses his hands with good he is strong as an ox. He actually is very similar build and film with Mcglinchey (6'8 312) Miller (6'9 310). Guess what Mcglinchey had 24 reps too.

The only difference is Mcglinchey is more consistent with his technique. Otherwise they are very similar players who got very different coaching staffs. Miller just needs to be more consistent with his technique and he can be a great RT

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I refrain the bad things I said about Kolton Miller earlier. I was in shock Zerlein Mocked him to us but now I see why. This OT class is weak and there arent many good ones available on the market. Miller is a 2nd round prospect but the value of the position now is so high that teams have to reach. Miller has 1st round potential thanks to his athletic ability and size. The difference between him and Mcglinchey is honestly technique, Miller is a bit more raw but that wont matter with the coaches we have. Decosta even said you have to raise a players value based on the position he plays

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
So can Miller than. Which we might have to think about if Mcglinchey isnt there. Teams might have to be forced to reach for offensive lineman.

Im gonna keep preaching this after actually getting a fresh long look at Miller and not buying into a popular narrative but when i rewatched Miller i couldnt help but to think of Mcglinchey. Solid but too tall at times and doesnt always deliver a great punch. Very reliant on good technique. They are nearly identical!!!!!

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/mike-mcglinchey?id=2559891
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/kolton-miller?id=2560228

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So can Miller than. Which we might have to think about if Mcglinchey isnt there. Teams might have to be forced to reach for offensive lineman.

Im gonna keep preaching this after actually getting a fresh long look at Miller and not buying into a popular narrative but when i rewatched Miller i couldnt help but to think of Mcglinchey. Solid but too tall at times and doesnt always deliver a great punch. Very reliant on good technique. They are nearly identical!!!!!

i have 35 spots between them on my big board - i dont foresee that gap getting small enough that he should even be considered anywhere in the first round - he'll probably get picked in the 1st but at 16 is ridiculous

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I refrain the bad things I said about Kolton Miller earlier. I was in shock Zerlein Mocked him to us but now I see why. This OT class is weak and there arent many good ones available on the market. Miller is a 2nd round prospect but the value of the position now is so high that teams have to reach. Miller has 1st round potential thanks to his athletic ability and size. The difference between him and Mcglinchey is honestly technique, Miller is a bit more raw but that wont matter with the coaches we have. Decosta even said you have to raise a players value based on the position he plays
A right tackle is not worth reaching an entire round or two. No way.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

I have Kolton Miller 39th on my board. No way the Ravens reach that high for a RT with other talent on the board. Especially one that is extremely inconsistent at this point. McGlinchey is plug and play and that is why he would be a good pick at 16. I'm not saying Miller couldn't get it together with good coaching, because he has had awful coaching to this point.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
i have 35 spots between them on my big board - i dont foresee that gap getting small enough that he should even be considered anywhere in the first round - he'll probably get picked in the 1st but at 16 is ridiculous
Maybe for us becaus of the other available talent but i dont think it was that crazy for Zerlein to put him there. I mean we could end up trading down to the late 20s and grabbing him and im not sure many people would have a problem with that. Either that or the Pats are gonna get him and turn him onto Nate Solder 2.0. Then in the end we would look dumb passing at 16 lol

Im not saying hes worth the 16th pick cause hes not. Hes a 2nd round talent who WILL get drafted in the 1st because of the position and lack of talent at that position. His combine certainly gave him a big boost on his draft stock.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Maybe for us becaus of the other available talent but i dont think it was that crazy for Zerlein to put him there. I mean we could end up trading down to the late 20s and grabbing him and im not sure many people would have a problem with that. Either that or the Pats are gonna get him and turn him onto Nate Solder 2.0. Then in the end we would look dumb passing at 16 lol

Im not saying hes worth the 16th pick cause hes not. Hes a 2nd round talent who WILL get drafted in the 1st because of the position and lack of talent at that position. His combine certainly gave him a big boost on his draft stock.
I don’t think he goes in the first.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

he's a 2nd round talent - i dont want him even in the late 20s with a trade back - there will be significantly better prospects available - at the moment he's sitting at 45th on my big board

and if the pats turn him into nate solder 2.0 well power to them but we'd look even dumber taking him and having him bust on us because we reached on him when there are obviously gonna be better talents at other positions available

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
he's a 2nd round talent - i dont want him even in the late 20s with a trade back - there will be significantly better prospects available - at the moment he's sitting at 45th on my big board

and if the pats turn him into nate solder 2.0 well power to them but we'd look even dumber taking him and having him bust on us because we reached on him when there are obviously gonna be better talents at other positions available
I dont think hed bust on us though. He just needs proper technique which we can teach him and hed be a suitable RT for us. I really dont think hed bust in our scheme and with our coaches. Hes very similar to Mcglinchey and hed fit better at RT just like Mcglinchey. Id obviously prefer Mcglinchey but we could do a lot worse than Miller as a fall back option

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I have Kolton Miller 39th on my board. No way the Ravens reach that high for a RT with other talent on the board. Especially one that is extremely inconsistent at this point. McGlinchey is plug and play and that is why he would be a good pick at 16. I'm not saying Miller couldn't get it together with good coaching, because he has had awful coaching to this point.
I absolutely agree with this

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I dont think hed bust on us though. He just needs proper technique which we can teach him and hed be a suitable RT for us. I really dont think hed bust in our scheme and with our coaches. Hes very similar to Mcglinchey and hed fit better at RT just like Mcglinchey. Id obviously prefer Mcglinchey but we could do a lot worse than Miller as a fall back option

i wasnt saying he would bust but he's much more likely to bust than guys higher on the board - that's why he's lower on the board...
if he had the ceiling he does and also had a high floor and similar play style to mcglinchey then he'd be much higher on the boards but he's not for a reason

i dont think he'll bust but i also think it would be bizarre to reach for him of all players - id much rather "reach" on a guy like isaiah wynn or billy price or will hernandez or james daniels if we had to go after oline