• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

Tank

Hall of Famer
I feel like given the dearth of oline quality in the league and hurst being a year starter that someone’s gonna give him money - and as long as we re-sign Jensen I’m happy for us to not keep him on our books - if he’s cheap enough then it makes sense to keep him in House but I’m pretty sure he’s outpriced Baltimore for what he is
And we’ll need those extra $ to sign Jensen who’s gonna get paid. What’s a guess......5 years, $40mil.?

Tank

Hall of Famer
You really think he'll make that ?

Not sure what centers make now so just wondering.
IDK, that was a WAG and thinking that may be the upper limit. I just took a quick look and saw $8 mil. average was about the bottom of top 10 money. Considering how hard good centers are to come by and ever rising markets I wouldn’t be surprised if he was in that range maybe a bit lower. Just a guess.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
interesting from @Filmstudy on twitter:

Q: so basically only 2 bad games at guard. Has he really been a downgrade from alex lewis last year? seemed like similar grades.
A (from Ken): Not at all. In fact, I would project him to be a better LG than Alex Lewis in 2018, but Hurst will also cost significantly more.
Little surprised how well has Hurst played at guard but Alex Lewis is not going to be guard, he's going to RT.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Considering how the line has been playing I think all we need is an infusion of better physical talent especially at guard, the likes of Lewis, Skura and Hurst can play but we still need power at the los.

The Raven

Veteran
https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...ocial&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=nfl

So far none of our players are in the top 25 olinemen. Rick Wagner is

Yeah, we don't have any top 25 guys. It's not a secret. We have three average Joes, a center that should be in the top 25, and a LT that will be there soon. Our guys play well as a unit and that's fine by me.

I don't have any qualms with this list. Wagner probably has done better than Austin Howard. Not sure how Jensen missed this but... good list.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Their system sucks then because both our tackles have been better than Wagner who has struggled severely at times this year

Ronnie Stanley legitimately might be one of the top 6/7 healthy offensive linemen left in the league at this point
My thoughts exactly. Stanley is the top run blocker and definitely a better pass protector than Wagner but he is a worse player? Doesn't make sense.

Ravenbran

Practice Squad
Their system sucks then because both our tackles have been better than Wagner who has struggled severely at times this year

Ronnie Stanley legitimately might be one of the top 6/7 healthy offensive linemen left in the league at this point
Am I missing something in the statement about Stanley? He’s soft as hell and stays hurt constantly (proof is in the pudding), not worth a dime against speed rushers and has to have help from someone to stop them be it a back or a tight end and I have even seen Hurst having to give him a hand and on top of that wasn’t even in the top 25 tackles in the NFL according to PFF. He definitely has potential though and at least you can see that. Ravens have got guards out the wizoo coming back next year and it’s too bad that the only one coming back worth a dime is Yanda who is getting older and going to be rehabbing all next spring. Lewis was horrible at left guard last year. He was an open gate for pass rushers and he too may not ever be the same. Center? If you want to think old carrot top is the answer then I say go ahead and offer him the moon to stay. If you think Hurst is average then you got your head in a hole if you think Jensen isn’t. As for Hurst I say let him go. Others will offer him more money ( even if a lot of you don’t think he is worth it) but every time the Ravens got in a pickle he stepped up to the plate just like when Lewis decided to have surgery he was given 10 days to get acclimated to a position he has never played in his football career. Hurst will definitely wind up on one the other 31 teams in the NFL who in the future will have a chance of going past the first playoff game!

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Am I missing something in the statement about Stanley? He’s soft as hell and stays hurt constantly (proof is in the pudding), not worth a dime against speed rushers and has to have help from someone to stop them be it a back or a tight end and I have even seen Hurst having to give him a hand and on top of that wasn’t even in the top 25 tackles in the NFL according to PFF. He definitely has potential though and at least you can see that. Ravens have got guards out the wizoo coming back next year and it’s too bad that the only one coming back worth a dime is Yanda who is getting older and going to be rehabbing all next spring. Lewis was horrible at left guard last year. He was an open gate for pass rushers and he too may not ever be the same. Center? If you want to think old carrot top is the answer then I say go ahead and offer him the moon to stay. If you think Hurst is average then you got your head in a hole if you think Jensen isn’t. As for Hurst I say let him go. Others will offer him more money ( even if a lot of you don’t think he is worth it) but every time the Ravens got in a pickle he stepped up to the plate just like when Lewis decided to have surgery he was given 10 days to get acclimated to a position he has never played in his football career. Hurst will definitely wind up on one the other 31 teams in the NFL who in the future will have a chance of going past the first playoff game!

im not sure i know what you've been watching all year - barring 2 bad games (1 against jax where everyone was awful and the other against tennessee) stanley has been efficient, strong - has graded out as one of the very top run blocking tackles in the league and has demonstrated strong pass blocking all year - he controls rushers so well with his long arms - and this idea that he is soft is utterly devoid of any reason - he's missed 1 game all year when he got a concussion and wasnt cleared to play (not on him) and the only other snaps he's missed were when he got rolled up on - he came back in a series later... that doesnt sound "soft" to me - he's even blocking well in space on the perimeter (watch the lions game if you dont believe me and see how much ground he covers and then blocks on collins td run left - and i dont know what help you are referring to - if anything stanley has been at his best when we've left him on an island - we fixed our pass blocking problems vs the texans by leaving stanley on an island vs clowney and he stone-walled him in the passing game

and im not sure what the rest of your comment has to do with what i wrote but here's a couple of points:
  • Lewis was fine in pass blocking but not in run blocking but he's definitely a better tackle prospect than guard
  • Hurst is not a physical guard - he's a guy who pulls extremely well and prolifically which is his niche and a team will have to bring him in to do that role elsewhere - but i agree that he's gonna get paid somewhere else and probably earn us a comp pick
  • Jensen is absolutely showing that he's worth staying around given the dearth of centers around the league

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm really going to miss Hurst, I've fricken loved this guy going into his final year in college. He was being talked about as an early 1st pick but broke his leg and went undrafted. He got so much hate for not succeeding but what do you expect from a guy who was forced to play LT as an undrafted rookie coming off an awful injury, learning guard and RT all camp. Played 4 positions in 3 years, and has excelled now that he finally has been allowed to settle. Can we also mention that (this isn't a fact but I'm fairly certain) He is the only player who hasn't been hurt in the last 4 years on this team.