• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Definitely not a Darious Williams thread

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Hopefully he continues to show up during the off-season because we already have a stacked room of corners. Definitely has potential.

Charm City

Pro Bowler
If he shows us he can hang with tougher competition, I can see us cutting Brandon Carr to keep him and/or moving Maurice canady to FS to free up space at CB. It may be a battle between him and Hill for the final spot

jboy19

Pro Bowler
The DB competition is going to be pretty heated. Great news for the future with all this young talent around.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
in 2 years our corner roster is gonna be Marlon Humphrey and 11 great slot corners at this rate lol...

Tavon Young, Maurice Canady, Jaylen Hill, Anthony Averett, Darious Williams (if he's actually a dude)

Pretty much haha I think that Canady is envisioned on the outside or at safety even though he's had some struggles there. I also think that Averett and Williams could offer some value on the outside.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
If he shows us he can hang with tougher competition, I can see us cutting Brandon Carr to keep him and/or moving Maurice canady to FS to free up space at CB. It may be a battle between him and Hill for the final spot

I strongly doubt The Ravens are going to cut Brandon Carr unless he looks straight up done on the field. His ability to stay healthy is a major asset for The Ravens especially since health has been a major issue with The Ravens secondary for the past 3 years and maybe more.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Pretty much haha I think that Canady is envisioned on the outside or at safety even though he's had some struggles there. I also think that Averett and Williams could offer some value on the outside.

oh of course - i was being a bit facetious - apart from all of that we already know that canady played outside corner in college, tavon spent a year playing outside corner successfully in the NFL, averett played outside across from humphrey in college too - we've got CB flexibility all over the place - the only guys who will likely get stuck in the slot in a worst case are jaylen hill and darious williams (if he is anything except a rookie minicamp dude)

that being said i agree that canady might be transitioned to safety (although id prefer him to stay at corner - either way i just want us to find ways of getting him on the field)

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
in 2 years our corner roster is gonna be Marlon Humphrey and 11 great slot corners at this rate lol...

Tavon Young, Maurice Canady, Jaylen Hill, Anthony Averett, Darious Williams (if he's actually a dude)
Tavon and Averett are both skilled enough to switch off between slot and the outside. Tavon was damn good from the outside in 2016. Size be damned, dude has skills.

Ozzie has set up our defense... Team in general quite nicely up for Jackson. We need to get WRs and possibly a Yanda replacement in the future but if Jackson develops into what he is capable of developing into Ozzie has put the team in potential dynasty mode with how good the defense and offense look for the future...

Somerset Ravens

Pro Bowler
I strongly doubt The Ravens are going to cut Brandon Carr unless he looks straight up done on the field. His ability to stay healthy is a major asset for The Ravens especially since health has been a major issue with The Ravens secondary for the past 3 years and maybe more.

If the Ravens are even considering cutting Carr I am sure it would have to be before his $ 1.5M roster bonus kicks in.

Tavon and Averett are both skilled enough to switch off between slot and the outside. Tavon was damn good from the outside in 2016. Size be damned, dude has skills.

Ozzie has set up our defense... Team in general quite nicely up for Jackson. We need to get WRs and possibly a Yanda replacement in the future but if Jackson develops into what he is capable of developing into Ozzie has put the team in potential dynasty mode with how good the defense and offense look for the future...
For some reason I can’t get the image of Tavon getting manhandled by Dez Bryant on the outside out of my head. No this defense is not set up lol. Weddle might retire, Suggs is gone in a year. Jimmy will more than likely get cut because of injuries. No interior pass rush. Tell how this defense is set up?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
For some reason I can’t get the image of Tavon getting manhandled by Dez Bryant on the outside out of my head. No this defense is not set up lol. Weddle might retire, Suggs is gone in a year. Jimmy will more than likely get cut because of injuries. No interior pass rush. Tell how this defense is set up?

Because we have a youthful spine of players at every level:

Brandon Williams under contract with willie Henry and a host of young dlinemen

Cj Mosley inside with Judon, tyus and Timmy outside

Marlon, tavon, canady, Clark all young players who’ve played significant snaps on the backend with tony Jefferson under contract

That’s not even including this rookie class and any future draft picks or free agent signings and if jimmy and flacco are really gone in this scenario then we’ll have all the cap space from them not being on the roster too

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
We have two uber talented OLB prospects to replace Suggs. Hopefully we actually let them onto the field to develop, Humphrey already looks like a #1 CB, Tavon Young is damn good already, heavy investments in the secondary, Jimmy isn't getting cut this year... FS is a need next year and I'll give you that but trust me. As far as defenses go, ours is fine for the immediate future. Even in the near future. Defense has a lot of young talent on it. Suggs and Weddle did not need to be replaced this year.

Interior pass rush is a concern of mine too(I'm kind of dumbfounded that we didn't at least take a chance on Maurice Hurst) but not many defenses are utterly complete from head to toe. Even then, I feel as if under the presence of a more aggressive coordinator, guys like Wormley, Henry, and Urban are going to benefit massively in terms of pass rushing duty.

More balanced offense = fresher defense = likely more stops and wins.

2018 is not the time to worry about the defense.. And even if it is, if Flacco and Jimmy are gone next year we should have enough money to lure a big name FA here given that our backup QB has kind of become the face of this franchise.

So yeah. Even with that interior rushing hole this defense is easily one of the better ones in the league. It's not elite like Jacksonville or Minnesota, or LA is going to be.. But the sudden notion that the defense sucks from some fans is just mind boggling to me. I have my doubts about Wink but I am curious to see how well he can manage a defense that actualy has talent. Which ours does

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Tell how the defense is set up? Maybe look at the depth chart? Maybe outside of 2 spots (FS with Weddle and OLB if last year's picks don't work out - but it's not hard to fill 2 spots when the rest of the D is set) this defense is in great shape. If you don't think so then no one can help you.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I have minimal concerns with interior pass rush. It will be fine if:

-Brandon Williams moves back to NT where he belongs and makes the defense better.
- We actually have a good Dline rotation instead of 2 guys playing 90% of the snaps.
-Urban stays healthy (please). Having a true 5tech will do wonders and allow for a better rotation.

Because we have a youthful spine of players at every level:

Brandon Williams under contract with willie Henry and a host of young dlinemen

Cj Mosley inside with Judon, tyus and Timmy outside

Marlon, tavon, canady, Clark all young players who’ve played significant snaps on the backend with tony Jefferson under contract

That’s not even including this rookie class and any future draft picks or free agent signings and if jimmy and flacco are really gone in this scenario then we’ll have all the cap space from them not being on the roster too
I’m glad your optimistic I am too, but until Timmy and bowser show that they can replace Suggs we’re not set at Edge. Williams is only a run stuffer which is not valuable in today’s league. Cj is a free agent next season and we all know he isn’t good in coverage. Only player that has actually shown promise is Humphrey. This defense has holes and they’re going to get exposed and one point or another.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I have minimal concerns with interior pass rush. It will be fine if:

-Brandon Williams moves back to NT where he belongs and makes the defense better.
- We actually have a good Dline rotation instead of 2 guys playing 90% of the snaps.
-Urban stays healthy (please). Having a true 5tech will do wonders and allow for a better rotation.
Not rotating d-linemen was Pees' greatest weakness, imo. That should be different with Wink. On the last point, I think I actually have more faith in Sieler being our 5tech than I do Urban. But we'll see if Urban can make the jump.