• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Definitely not a Darious Williams thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Mosley is one of the premier LB's in this league. The thing last season was Mosley had nobody next to him who could actually cover RB's or TE's.
I think all of us want to extend him just not for top dollar. We overpaid for too many guys. Can't do that again.
Like paying Williams as a pass rushing DT, but we all know he hasn't the ability to do so and after being one of the better NT we play him out of position. Same thing again with Jefferson.
I hope Weedle has recovered well after all those minor injuries. But we still need a FS, we don't even have a backup on our roster.

CJ Mosley will be at worst the 2nd highest paid ILB in the league but his contract likely ends up with a yearly average higher than kuechly's - that's a fact - with the ever increasing salary cap that's what he's worth - the sooner we extend him the cheaper it will be long term

this is a completely different situation to the brandon williams contract - brandon williams was being paid with projection towards the future with the expectation of continued progression in the rushing department...

CJ is gonna be paid in line with his production and value to the team which is astronomical - he's our mike linebacker who calls the defence, he's a great blitzer, phenomenal in zone coverage, run stuffer, reader and he's even good rushing round the edge lol - the only area you could call him out on is not being shutdown in man coverage - but he's not bad at it

i was not a fan of the brandon williams contract
i was not a fan of the jefferson contract
i will be livid if we dont keep CJ and that's even knowing that i fully expect him to be the highest paid middle linebacker in the league (at least until the next big contract for a top inside linebacker comes out)

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
We've seen for 3-4 years what B.Williams and Jefferson can do and what they can't. Hardly any player progesses significantly after year 4 in a part where he lacked before.
I'm fine with Mosley getting +/- Kuechly money (5y/60m). But I don't want to overpay him and hand out a 5y/70m.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
We've seen for 3-4 years what B.Williams and Jefferson can do and what they can't. Hardly any player progesses significantly after year 4 in a part where he lacked before.
I'm fine with Mosley getting +/- Kuechly money (5y/60m). But I don't want to overpay him and hand out a 5y/70m.

5/70 would be quite steep but i could definitely see him getting anywhere between 5/57 and 5/67 and id be ok with that

so you're telling me that being named 2nd team all-pro only behind kuechly and wagner for 3 of his 4 years in the league means he's not a good coverage linebacker?

to be 2nd team all-pro (except in that one weird year when there were like 6 2nd team all pro lbs) you have to get at worst the 4th most votes for best player at your position in the league...

and i dont know what your argument is with the CBS - we're talking about this team being set up with a nice corps for the future - you're talking about it as if its only this year's group and we have to be set for all of time... we have jimmy smith and brandon carr (and maurice canady) to play outside corner this year and obviously as they leave they will be replaced but at the heart of that backend we will still have 2/3 CB starters in place moving forwards and depth at the position - that's pretty incredible

and tavon young is a slot corner first but on a matchup basis will also be effective on the outside - one of the top 5 corners in the league is chris harris jr and he's a "slot" corner, likewise tredavious white...

and yes its hard to find free safeties but id argue that most draft classes have edge rushers that you can acquire and we have a stack full of young promising ones who we get to find out about

but if an entire unit is only short of an edge rusher, free safety and number 2/3 corner then you're in a hell of a position going into any offseason...
Chris Harris play outside and has shown ability to cover there. Young has not simple as that I didn’t mention size one time because that doesn’t matter. Young’s ability is far less than Harris. You do realize all-pro is almost as bad as pro bowl some of these writers have no idea what they are talking about. I’m not talking about this year. I know we have jimmy and Carr but you’re acting like players like that can be easily replaced for the future it’s not an easy fix if it was every team would have elite CBs. There’s been edge rusher quantity over quality lately I can’t even name all the unproductive pass rushers teams have(Steelers for example) You act like when we draft players they’re are all sure things lmao. No bust exists and they are common, more common than hitting on players.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Lol, there must be something like 3 posts about Darious Williams in 3 pages. The old mods would be having a heart attack right now.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
What evee luke is getting mosley should get 10mil less than that

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Chris Harris play outside and has shown ability to cover there. Young has not simple as that I didn’t mention size one time because that doesn’t matter. Young’s ability is far less than Harris. You do realize all-pro is almost as bad as pro bowl some of these writers have no idea what they are talking about. I’m not talking about this year. I know we have jimmy and Carr but you’re acting like players like that can be easily replaced for the future it’s not an easy fix if it was every team would have elite CBs. There’s been edge rusher quantity over quality lately I can’t even name all the unproductive pass rushers teams have(Steelers for example) You act like when we draft players they’re are all sure things lmao. No bust exists and they are common, more common than hitting on players.
You obviously didn't watch Tavon Young play if you don't think he can play outside. Besides one game against Dez Bryant he played incredible for a ROOKIE. You can hate on anyone but don't hate on Tavon. Because you're wrong .

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Except that he has shown the ability.

A few bad plays vs prime dez Bryant doesn't mean he can't play outside if called upon

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
tavon holds his own. after seeing him tackle gronk 1vs1 multiple teams and running backs in open field, i was even more convinced.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

So I’m guessing you just didn’t watch the 2016 season then... tavon was our cb2 and played on the outside all year at a high level

I prefer him in the slot but he’s absolutely shown the ability to play outside effectively

And I’m not saying we would immediately replace jimmy smith et al - I’m saying that moving forwards we have an incredible core of young defensive depth - I’m not expecting it to be a completely unchanged unit in 2-3 years time but the talent is there in key positions so that the core of this defence will be around for a long time without needing major overhaul

So I’m guessing you just didn’t watch the 2016 season then... tavon was our cb2 and played on the outside all year at a high level

I prefer him in the slot but he’s absolutely shown the ability to play outside effectively

And I’m not saying we would immediately replace jimmy smith et al - I’m saying that moving forwards we have an incredible core of young defensive depth - I’m not expecting it to be a completely unchanged unit in 2-3 years time but the talent is there in key positions so that the core of this defence will be around for a long time without needing major overhaul
Lol what? Did you forget about Shareece Wright at CB 2? Tavon only took over when Jimmy got hurt against the Pats and in a few games where Jimmy had been injured in game. Young on the outside is a huge mismatch for us. He’s a solid slot CB yes that’s valuable, but to say he can be reliable and do his job on the outside is ridicoulous. Our core isn’t great by possibly next year if Weddle, Suggs and Jimmy all gone after this season. In 2-3 Years Pierce is a FA, Jefferson, and Tavon Young. You’re left with Mosley and B Williams. Did I mention B Williams will be 32 by then? All you’re left with is average players maybe some above average(if they pan out) This defense has holes that the FO is going to have to address. There’s no one on this defensive roster that is signed through the next 2-3 years that is CURRENTLY a great player outside of Humphrey. It makes sense why they drafted Lamar Jackson as we’re going to need to clear up cap space and actually attack FA heavily to address our needs as the draft isn’t going to solve all of our issues in the future.

Back to the Darious Williams topic. He’s has a legitimate shot of making the roster and actually getting playing time.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Did you forget Odell too? It’s an outside CB spot you’re going to matchup with good receivers no way around it
You say that like Beckham or in-form Dez couldn't beat any other CB, just Young. He's definitely slot corner but he showed enough promise outside (as a rookie, too) that you can't discard him as a competent depth in case of injuries.

Mosley is one of the premier LB's in this league. The thing last season was Mosley had nobody next to him who could actually cover RB's or TE's.
I think all of us want to extend him just not for top dollar. We overpaid for too many guys. Can't do that again.
Like paying Williams as a pass rushing DT, but we all know he hasn't the ability to do so and after being one of the better NT we play him out of position. Same thing again with Jefferson.
I hope Weedle has recovered well after all those minor injuries. But we still need a FS, we don't even have a backup on our roster.
Premier position players get top dollar. Mostly will get top dollar.

You say that like Beckham or in-form Dez couldn't beat any other CB, just Young. He's definitely slot corner but he showed enough promise outside (as a rookie, too) that you can't discard him as a competent depth in case of injuries.
Every CB is going to get beat eventually, but if your CB is just getting destroyed on just about every play it’s a liability. I can say that Young lined up against Dez and Odell changed the outcome of both those games. Jimmy was handling Odell just fine before injury and we had to go into that Cowyboys game without him. So I’m asking would you trust Young on the outside especially in our division where every team has an elite WR? Young lined up against Green, Brown, or Gordon can change the entire game no matter how strong we may be at other positions on defense.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Every CB is going to get beat eventually, but if your CB is just getting destroyed on just about every play it’s a liability. I can say that Young lined up against Dez and Odell changed the outcome of both those games. Jimmy was handling Odell just fine before injury and we had to go into that Cowyboys game without him. So I’m asking would you trust Young on the outside especially in our division where every team has an elite WR? Young lined up against Green, Brown, or Gordon can change the entire game no matter how strong we may be at other positions on defense.
Young did fine on Odell when he was covering him. Odell had one 75 yard TD when covered by Will Davis.

He beat Shareece Wright for a long gain.

And there was one blown play when Weddle tripped Tavon right after the snap and that was basically all of his yards that game. PLEASE tell me how Odell manhandled Tavon? Oh wait. You can't.

Tavon played great against the Giants. He also had a great pick earlier that game that I'm sure you won't mention either.

Here's a FACT for you. Since you don't have any. In 2016, Tavon young started 11 games on the outside. Young surrendered only 0.98 yards per cover snap in 2016. An amazing number and 2nd out of the rookie CB class.

But yeah keep spewing your misinformed bull shit narrative that Tavon can't play outside.

Last edited: