• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Really, do you think 58% is really that bad, especially for someone who wasn’t supposed to play this year at at all.

61.7% is Joe Flacco’s Career completion percentage. 61.2% this season as an 11 year veteran. This is not a knock on Joe. Btw, Joes rookie year was 60%. Just because he is competing 58% now doesn’t mean he isn’t going to FUCKING IMPROVE.

Maybe we should just cut him, because it’s obvious he can’t throw and will never improve.
Well, it should be knock on Joe. Big fucking knock, because he did that his entire career.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
lol......it will never end, even long after Joe retires.
But I will still forever be grateful for the Super Bowl he brought to Baltimore. Nobody can take that away from him.

Tru11

Practice Squad
The fumbles are an issue, they are not the issue. The issue is the 58% completion number. The issue is going over 2 hours without completing a pass because they took away the middle and every sideline throw was so overthrown you would've thought he was aiming for stands.

Accuracy is THE issue. If you cannot throw accurately, at least the short to medium passes, you will not make it in the NFL no matter how electric you are running the ball

Funny cause some dude was under 58% in the play offs enroute to a record setting post season run that ended in a SB....

Same dude was completing 44% of his passes in the play offs as a rookie........

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
When you're an option team and you are seldom required to throw, you can't be expected to be super accurate. In any case, I don't think it is as big an issue as you make it out to be specifically regarding Lamar Jackson. He'll get better with his accuracy as he is allowed more free reign in throwing the ball. Next year I expect his accuracy to improve. The rest of the skills that come with being Lamar is priceless.
I have to really disagree with the first part of this. It's actually far more important to be accurate when you don't throw often. For an offense like the Ravens had this season one or two miss passes can utterly destroy a drive's momentum. And even for a ball control offense, you have to be able to be clutch on 3rd downs that require throwing.

flynismo

Practice Squad
I don’t understand where you get this notion that accuracy can’t be taught.

I don't know where you get the notion that it can be. That's like saying you can teach arm strength. You can do things like correct poor mechanics or footwork that will help get a little more zip into a pass, but that is about it. You can't teach arm strength, can't teach accuracy, can't teach anticipation.
Let me guess, you think completion % is an indication of how accurate a QB is?

flynismo

Practice Squad
Yes, my bad.. three seasons*. And a lot of them have hovered around 60% but he makes one amazing playoff run and all of the sudden he’s the most accurate passer of all time. I’ll just never get it.

You don't get it because you exaggerate. Nobody said he is the most accurate passer in history. And nobody but you seems to be foolish enough to think completion % means a thing.

flynismo

Practice Squad
It's the old argument. We can't absolve Joe of his shortcomings just because he is a nice guy. If the fanboys get upset by facts and the truth, and they will, then so be it.
You mean like how the Lamar fellaters pretend that you can just teach someone how to throw an accurate pass and play QB on the NFL level? I feel your pain.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don't know where you get the notion that it can be. That's like saying you can teach arm strength. You can do things like correct poor mechanics or footwork that will help get a little more zip into a pass, but that is about it. You can't teach arm strength, can't teach accuracy, can't teach anticipation.
Let me guess, you think completion % is an indication of how accurate a QB is?

tbf the initial thing he responded to - was you quoting something talking about lamar's "inaccuracy" with reference to 58% completion percentage as being the issue...

that's why all the subsequent responses are about completion percentage

flynismo

Practice Squad
No, I meant exactly what I said - it was about Joe and Joe's fanboys.
Right. Very similar to Lamar and his groupies, as I said. It's very telling that any criticism of Lamar is typically met with comparisons to Flacco's perceived issues, or absurd assumptions like "he'll improve as a passer" or "we can coach that out of him" or "we can teach him how to throw accurately".
Flacco is what he is, and that is a highly accomplished NFL QB that possesses one of the best (the best?) post season record of any QB playing today. A SB MVP. Now he is getting up there in age and injuries and is part of our history, not our present or future.
Lamar is a raw, unrefined rookie who has yet to accomplish a thing, and faces an uphill battle now that LAC has shown how to stop him.

People need to stop comparing the two. Lamar will lose every time, and that isn't fair to him.

Last edited:

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Right. Very similar to Lamar and his groupies, as I said.
No, it's not because you can't have the same argument as a negative for Lamar if you don't consider it a negative for Flacco.
Particularly in light of Lamar being a rookie with no practice with ones before he started his first game, vs 11 years of the same with Joe.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
You mean like how the Lamar fellaters pretend that you can just teach someone how to throw an accurate pass and play QB on the NFL level? I feel your pain.
there absolutely are things lamar can to do with his mechanics that will make him better at making certain throws. he's actually improved tremendously from college already. Don't be so naive to think that this can't be done.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
there absolutely are things lamar can to do with his mechanics that will make him better at making certain throws. he's actually improved tremendously from college already. Don't be so naive to think that this can't be done.
Joe couldn't do it, how possibly Lamar can?

flynismo

Practice Squad
Please. A lot of people seem to have very selective memory; quickly forgetting all the garbage throws and only remembering the times he gets it right.
"Making him better at making certain throws" is NOT the same thing as making him an accurate passer. It means that he can learn how to better position himself to get the ball to the receiver without a defender breaking it up, that's all that means. It does not mean he'll suddenly start making throws into tight windows consistently or his placement will be greatly improved.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
he's never been at 65% for a season as a reference point
3 times has been at below 60% for a season
as a rookie was 60.0%

his 3 highest season completion percentages were 2015, 2016, 2017 when he was maybe the worst he'd been as a qb (since his rookie year) for various reasons

all this to say Joe's never been known as an accurate passer
completion percentage does not equal accuracy
neither is a good indicator of success in the nfl

fun fact about Joe... during the superbowl run his completion percentage was below 60% in all 3 of the non-superbowl playoff games and he averaged 57.9% across the whole run

all this to say - none of it really means anything - completion percentage is a completely useless tool to criticise lamar for without context and to slam him for inaccuracy because his completion percentage over the season was 58.2% is a bit of a trash argument tbh given the lack of throws total anyway - if lamar has 3 fewer drops/throwaways over the entire season from his receivers then he's at exactly 60% and the stat is meaningless...
The 3 seasons you refer to with his highest percentage completion rates? They were the reasons where he was dinking and dunking the ball with his first read. I think to look at completion percentage you'll also have to look at yards per attempt. I can almost bet you that those 3 yrs Flacco's may have been the lowest of his career. I don't know what Lamar's is but I'm willing to wager that it is surely more than what Flacco had with great completion rates....