• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I am a Lamar fan. I’m also a realist and not overly attached emotionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So you’re telling me that Deshaun’s supporting cast isn’t any better than ours?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
So you’re telling me that Deshaun’s supporting cast isn’t any better than ours?
Tbh this year it’s hard to argue, Hollywood and andrews are better than anyone they have, I’ll take Gus and dobbins over their backs, I’ll take our OL and defense over theirs too. I still would take Lamar over Watson every day. Lamar has a certain energy about him man, like the chip on his shoulder and how he just looks like a man among boys constantly in the nfl, I think Lamar has a championship mentality and drive and I’m not sure Watson does, He appears so much less composed and confident compared to Lamar.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Tbh this year it’s hard to argue, Hollywood and andrews are better than anyone they have, I’ll take Gus and dobbins over their backs, I’ll take our OL and defense over theirs too. I still would take Lamar over Watson every day. Lamar has a certain energy about him man, like the chip on his shoulder and how he just looks like a man among boys constantly in the nfl, I think Lamar has a championship mentality and drive and I’m not sure Watson does, He appears so much less composed and confident compared to Lamar.

What in the world is championship mentality and how do you quantify that? A championship is won by a team not an individual. Otherwise you could say Watson has a greater championship mentality because he won a CFP championship but Lamar didn’t..... doesn’t make any sense

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I’m talking strictly WRs. I’d take Houston’s over ours 100% of the time

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m talking strictly WRs. I’d take Houston’s over ours 100% of the time

What is that really saying though? The argument isn’t who has better receivers it’s who has done more with less and that’s clearly Watson. We could argue stats but I will concede that the Texans have a SLIGHT advantage at the skill positions. The gap is not that great.

Watson has clearly matured into a better signal caller/ well rounded QB at this point in his career. We have this argument all the time when we see Watson, Baker, Allen making calls at the line, making all the throws etc ...While Lamar has largely remained the same and some will argue regressed.

This is not all Lamar’s fault as I continued to place the majority of the blame on Romans shoulders. However, Watson still has shown to be able to do more with less all while playing for a dysfunctional organization.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
What is that really saying though? The argument isn’t who has better receivers it’s who has done more with less and that’s clearly Watson. We could argue stats but I will concede that the Texans have a SLIGHT advantage at the skill positions. The gap is not that great.

Watson has clearly matured into a better signal caller/ well rounded QB at this point in his career. We have this argument all the time when we see Watson, Baker, Allen making calls at the line, making all the throws etc ...While Lamar has largely remained the same and some will argue regressed.

This is not all Lamar’s fault as I continued to place the majority of the blame on Romans shoulders. However, Watson still has shown to be able to do more with less all while playing for a dysfunctional organization.

You keep trying to change the subject. You said verbatim “with no weapons around him” when talking about Deshaun. That’s such an asinine statement. You claim to be realistic and emotionally detached from Lamar, but you have to give Lamar the benefit of the doubt when his #2 wouldn’t even be a #4 on most teams

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Fair enough, but receivers aren’t the only weapons on the field
True. I’m picking and choosing, I’ll admit it, but to say Deshaun had no weapons around him is unbelievable

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
You keep trying to change the subject. You said verbatim “with no weapons around him” when talking about Deshaun. That’s such an asinine statement. You claim to be realistic and emotionally detached from Lamar, but you have to give Lamar the benefit of the doubt when his #2 wouldn’t even be a #4 on most teams

Based on two seasons in an extremely run heavy high school offense you’ve relegated Brown to the #4 on most NFL teams. The homer is strong

Yea i said with nothing around him. When you compare Watsons supporting cast to the rest of the NFL, just like Lamar, they have little to no value around them. Add in a dysfunctional organization and it’s clear Watson has shined more. Hell our organization built and offense for Lamar .....Houston seems hell bent on pissing of Watson any way possible.

Again, this is bigger than one player. Lamar needs a chance in a real NFL system , but at this point Watson is clearly more polished NFL QB

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
What in the world is championship mentality and how do you quantify that? A championship is won by a team not an individual. Otherwise you could say Watson has a greater championship mentality because he won a CFP championship but Lamar didn’t..... doesn’t make any sense

Championship mentality is def a thing. It can also be the same as “ killer mentality” Although i think watson is a better qb and even said that during lamar mvp run, lamar actually does have that mentality. Some just got it in them and some dont. You can see it and feel the energy they posses. Kinda hard to explain, its just something you can see in people.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
True. I’m picking and choosing, I’ll admit it, but to say Deshaun had no weapons around him is unbelievable
Gotta admit.. watson didnt really have shit. Idk how he passed for 4800. Fuller and cooks, two people who never play 16 games isnt enough to get you that many yards. I mean id rather have fuller and cooks over hollywood and boykin.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

it’s about poise and composure which ooze out of Lamar despite a couple of screwups in playoff games

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Based on two seasons in an extremely run heavy high school offense you’ve relegated Brown to the #4 on most NFL teams. The homer is strong

Yea i said with nothing around him. When you compare Watsons supporting cast to the rest of the NFL, just like Lamar, they have little to no value around them. Add in a dysfunctional organization and it’s clear Watson has shined more. Hell our organization built and offense for Lamar .....Houston seems hell bent on pissing of Watson any way possible.

Again, this is bigger than one player. Lamar needs a chance in a real NFL system , but at this point Watson is clearly more polished NFL QB

I agree that we need to become a better passing team but please stop calling this a high school offence if you want anyone to take you seriously - this “high-school” offence became the greatest running game in nfl history since it was installed 2 years ago

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I agree that we need to become a better passing team but please stop calling this a high school offence if you want anyone to take you seriously - this “high-school” offence became the greatest running game in nfl history since it was installed 2 years ago

1) Congrats we finished first in rushing and last in passing. 19th in total yards .... wow revolutionary.

2) 32 points and 7 turnovers in 3 playoff losses. The good teams adjusted abs know how to beat Romans scheme. We’re 1 Lamar 50 yard scramble away from back to back Titans losses as well.

3) I know you didn’t play football in high school or college but I did. Want to know why I keep calling it a high school offense? Because we ran the same plays and concepts. The offense is designed for simplicity and that works both ways. Remember when Lamar was on the Rich Esien show saying that defenders were calling out the Ravens' plays at the line of scrimmage? It’s a gimmick that’s been solved.

1) Congrats we finished first in rushing and last in passing. 19th in total yards .... wow revolutionary.

2) 32 points and 7 turnovers in 3 playoff losses. The good teams adjusted abs know how to beat Romans scheme. We’re 1 Lamar 50 yard scramble away from back to back Titans losses as well.

3) I know you didn’t play football in high school or college but I did. Want to know why I keep calling it a high school offense? Because we ran the same plays and concepts. The offense is designed for simplicity and that works both ways. Remember when Lamar was on the Rich Esien show saying that defenders were calling out the Ravens' plays at the line of scrimmage? It’s a gimmick that’s been solved.

Do you seriously believe that if you took the concepts and plays that you ran at your high school and handed them to the Ravens they would still break 60+ year NFL records?

No-one denies the passing game needs to evolve to reach the next level, but far too many posters here are placing all the emphasis on the playoff losses and none at all on the 25 - 7 regular season record over the past two years.

We definitely have to evolve the passing game, there are going to be playoff games where we can't run and Lamar has to throw 50 times and win.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

right but there are very few "new" plays in football - you will have run similar concepts to every single offence in the NFL (especially in the running game)

but the ravens running offence isnt 'simple' it's highly complex to defend because of it synthesises multiple elements of different running games and brings them together - running multiple different plays out of the exact same alignment, motion and pre-snap look and gaining the numbers advantage via those motions

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

It’s hard to say Watson has done more with less when lamars team made the playoffs this season and he didn’t necessarily have much to work with. Watson had less than Lamar, but Lamar took his team WAYYY farther. The Texans season was over before October, it took COVID shutting down a third of the team for 2 weeks and multiple star players spending half the season injured for folks to even question the ravens chances.

Lamar in watsons position is putting that team
On his back and running his way to .500, Watson would’ve went down with the ship if he was in Baltimore in 2020.