• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
It's a risk you take. If the market is reset, the market is reset. The Ravens just aren't going to be the ones that do that.

The market was set when Watson signed. I know teams don't want to hear it or acknowledge it but no agent is going to go into negotiates and not bring it up. Especially if your client has accomplished more IE a Burrow or Jackson.

Owner or GM's can get cute and act like it didn't happen or "doesn't count" but I am sure if the roles were reversed and Pat signed some low deal then they would be using that contract against a player.

Last edited:

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
The market was set when Watson signed. I know teams don't want to hear it or acknowledge it but no agent is going to go into negotiates and not bring it up. Especially if your client has accomplished more IE a Burrow or Jackson.

Owner or GM's can get cute and act like it didn't happen or "doesn't count" but I am sure if the rolls were reversed and Pat signed some low deal then they would be using that contract against a player.
Pat only that deserves a fully.. wouldnt be surprised if borruw got one though

Simba

Staff Member

Owner or GM's can get cute and act like it didn't happen or "doesn't count" but I am sure if the rolls were reversed and Pat signed some low deal then they would be using that contract against a player.
I don't disagree but you have to look at the situation as a whole here. One doesn't make a pattern. Not saying players and agents aren't going to try their damndest but there's been a clear line drawn in the sand and it's going to take a hell of a lot to get teams to go beyond that. I doubt that there's one team out there besides Cleveland that saw that Watson deal and their immediate thought was "shit now every QB has to be paid this way." They know the unique situation that led to it.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor

Ahh yes... I've always loved a good cinnamon roll.. dinner rolls are a close second for me, especially at Thanksgiving.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't disagree but you have to look at the situation as a whole here. One doesn't make a pattern. Not saying players and agents aren't going to try their damndest but there's been a clear line drawn in the sand and it's going to take a hell of a lot to get teams to go beyond that. I doubt that there's one team out there besides Cleveland that saw that Watson deal and their immediate thought was "shit now every QB has to be paid this way." They know the unique situation that led to it.

I think Cleveland showed their cards early and had to make a move when word got out they were interested in Watson leaving Baker out in the cold.

No way in hell Baker was going to help them going forward and Watson wasn't going to come without some crazy number.

Simba

Staff Member
I think Cleveland showed their cards early and had to make a move when word got out they were interested in Watson leaving Baker out in the cold.

No way in hell Baker was going to help them going forward and Watson wasn't going to come without some crazy number.
Yeah that's absolutely the case. The only way they were getting Watson was to fully guarantee his deal.

I'm usually pro player and I still would say that I believe players should fight for every penny they can get, but I also recognize that sheer ridiculousness of the situation as a whole. I'd support players pushing for fully guaranteed deals, especially in one of the most injury-ridden sports. But the way the cap it set up compared to other leagues just makes it untenable. Not the MLB where this is no cap and large market teams can just write it off and try again. Not the NBA where you can move on from a bad contract and just have someone else pay it in exchange for expiring contracts. Not the NHL where the highest paid players are still generally affordable. There are serious ramifications with the business model as a whole, and for teams to get on board with this being the norm, I think that's where the change starts.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah that's absolutely the case. The only way they were getting Watson was to fully guarantee his deal.

I'm usually pro player and I still would say that I believe players should fight for every penny they can get, but I also recognize that sheer ridiculousness of the situation as a whole. I'd support players pushing for fully guaranteed deals, especially in one of the most injury-ridden sports. But the way the cap it set up compared to other leagues just makes it untenable. Not the MLB where this is no cap and large market teams can just write it off and try again. Not the NBA where you can move on from a bad contract and just have someone else pay it in exchange for expiring contracts. Not the NHL where the highest paid players are still generally affordable. There are serious ramifications with the business model as a whole, and for teams to get on board with this being the norm, I think that's where the change starts.

This would be alot easier to discuss if we knew what was actually on the table.

If the "reports" are true then we would have been giving Lamar 133 guaranteed which is less guaranteed money than both Allen and Murray by roughly 30 million. Roughly

Simba

Staff Member
This would be alot easier to discuss if we knew what was actually on the table.

If the "reports" are true then we would have been giving Lamar 133 guaranteed which is less guaranteed money than both Allen and Murray by roughly 30 million. Roughly
If I remember correctly, that one was already debunked. I'm sure I could go back in this thread but don't feel like it... but think the report that the guaranteed was somewhere in the $165-180M range.

If I had to guess, if that number was pushed into the lower $200Ms, I feel like a deal would have been done.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
If I remember correctly, that one was already debunked. I'm sure I could go back in this thread but don't feel like it... but think the report that the guaranteed was somewhere in the $165-180M range.

If I had to guess, if that number was pushed into the lower $200Ms, I feel like a deal would have been done.

I think so too. It's difficult to know who isn't be fair in this negotiation thanks to how air tight everything has been kept.

195 sounds about right to me but I am not Lamar MOTHER FUCKING Jackson

Simba

Staff Member
I think so too. It's difficult to know who isn't be fair in this negotiation thanks to how air tight everything has been kept.

195 sounds about right to me but I am not Lamar MOTHER FUCKING Jackson
And I'll go back to my original point where I think both sides are playing fair and making the right decision for right now. The Ravens are going out there and telling Lamar to prove it. Lamar is out there realizing that the offer he got at the deadline will be the minimum offer he gets after the season and talks reopen. Neither side really had a good reason why it had to be done. I would imagine the FT coming next year starts to push things a little more. It's not untenable by any means but there's good reason for sides to push at that point. Even more so with a potential 2nd FT.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
And I'll go back to my original point where I think both sides are playing fair and making the right decision for right now. The Ravens are going out there and telling Lamar to prove it. Lamar is out there realizing that the offer he got at the deadline will be the minimum offer he gets after the season and talks reopen. Neither side really had a good reason why it had to be done. I would imagine the FT coming next year starts to push things a little more. It's not untenable by any means but there's good reason for sides to push at that point. Even more so with a potential 2nd FT.

Well something would have to get done quickly in the offseason if we want to keep Roquan

That's another unique issue that is going to present itself given the fact that he too represents himself.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Main Jet said Wilson is better tho
When the Jets were winning a game or two, Main Jet "jumped out there" spouting off how much better Wilson was compared to Lamar. That didn't age too well. Those comments didn't age too well.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
When the Jets were winning a game or two, Main Jet "jumped out there" spouting off how much better Wilson was compared to Lamar. That didn't age too well. Those comments didn't age too well.

aged like milk

Tank

Hall of Famer
Anyone looking objectively at Watson’s deal realizes it was an aberration, a dumb deal inked by a dumb franchise.

If fully guaranteed contracts became the norm it would eventually spell the end of the NFL as we know it. I seriously doubt it happens.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Anyone looking objectively at Watson’s deal realizes it was an aberration, a dumb deal inked by a dumb franchise.

If fully guaranteed contracts became the norm it would eventually spell the end of the NFL as we know it. I seriously doubt it happens.

The end of the NFL? Doubt it.