• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
So when can teams start actually talking to Lamar? Right now? Do we think there will be reliable leaks as to who contacts him?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Looking through the cap situations, the Bears and maybe the Texans are the only teams at this time that could cripple us and prevent us from matching. Also impacts heavily what each of those teams is able to do elsewhere though.
If either of those teams were to pony up… sorry Lamar, you gots to go.

Literally though any other team in the league and they can fuck right off

Simba

Staff Member

And I'm sure that went into the line of thinking as well. The 2 teams that have the highest chance of fucking us over also own the first 2 picks of the draft, which is a virtual guarantee that you can take a shot on another QB.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ravens placed the "non-exclusive" franchise tag on Lamar. Damn! :mad:
Uvxb1Ky.gif

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
They didn't really go on a fun drug fueled binge though. They spent their windfall on Safeties and roster depth. And all the old RBs

The Ravens spent it all sorting the drainage and foundations of their crumbling house.
I mean it’s hard to do any better when all of your star players are injured every other week for 3 straight seasons

JAAM

Hall of Famer

Exactly this

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Falcons, Raiders, Commanders, and now Panthers all reportedly not interested so far

This is weird. You’d think every QB needy team would be interested in Lamar. Maybe we overvalue him?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
And I'm sure that went into the line of thinking as well. The 2 teams that have the highest chance of fucking us over also own the first 2 picks of the draft, which is a virtual guarantee that you can take a shot on another QB.
Only problem there is, it only takes one team to say fuck it we got the roster to compete, and offer up, and if that’s a team that likes to trade their first rounders then we’re big fucked.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is weird. You’d think every QB needy team would be interested in Lamar. Maybe we overvalue him?
I think its situational.

Keep in mind a lot of teams take years to prepare themselves for contracts like this. Its not like its easy for a team to just wake up one day and be like "yeah, we can totally give this guy $200M gtd at $50M a year". That takes planning.

I think Falcons and Panthers are probably high enough in the draft where they think they can draft somebody. Or waiting until future drafts.

Simba

Staff Member
I think it's multiple things...

1. No agent so negotiating directly with the player
2. Teams know his reported asking price
3. Teams would have to pay that asking price and give up a ton of assets for the right to do that
4. There are undoubtedly some injury concerns
5. That Watson deal already looks like a disaster

If he was a regular street FA, he'd have a contract in a second. But when you put all of the things together, it's a tough sell.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
If true, which it seems pretty early to be true, but if true, this is fascinating how many teams are dropping out.
Hopefully all of these are true, but man it’s hard to believe that all these teams are out on Lamar immediately.

IF this plays out this way though, and Lamar tests the market and then comes back here on a more manageable deal, then I’m gonna need to see some acknowledgement of EDC’s thousand pound brass balls

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Only problem there is, it only takes one team to say fuck it we got the roster to compete, and offer up, and if that’s a team that likes to trade their first rounders then we’re big fucked.
There aren't many teams like that. Jets are on that list, but they seem to be infatuated with Lamar.
Dolphins would be on that list, except they don't have a first rounder to give up.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I gotta say, I’m a little saddened by the mental image of Lamar punching air every time he reads a tweet that X team is out on him