• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

Simba

Staff Member
The contract race from the other teams might be the only thing that gets Lamar to come back to earth on his demands. So fingers crossed one or two of those gets wrapped up quickly

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
You think Lamar handled the negotiations correctly? LMAO
At this point, it is not about what any of us think concerning Lamar's handling of things. We're here now and I don't like it! You don't think that Lamar (in particular being that we're talking about him - not necessarily any traded player) would try to smash the Ravens if he's traded to another squad and has to play them? LMAO

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
The contract race from the other teams might be the only thing that gets Lamar to come back to earth on his demands. So fingers crossed one or two of those gets wrapped up quickly
Maybe. None of these sides have any urgency, as the Chargers/Bengals control their guys for two more years before they even have to consider FT, and the Eagles could easily FT if needed. I think they'll all get done, but has the feel of more of a Summer/Fall timeframe. Could easily happen after the FT deadline has passed, which means neither Lamar nor the Ravens could do anything about it if they wanted.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
At this point, it is not about what any of us think concerning Lamar's handling of things. We're here now and I don't like it! You don't think that Lamar (in particular being that we're talking about him - not necessarily any traded player) would try to smash the Ravens if he's traded to another squad and has to play them? LMAO
Who cares if he does? I don't even care if he beats us. All I would care about is whether we have a better team in the long run based on how we handle the trade.

For all I know, he may go to a team with a bunch of shit players and he leads 9-8 teams for several years and gets beaten by plenty of good teams. Lord knows he's wanted to smash a lot of teams he's played while with us and hasn't done so.

Only thing about a trade that would disappointment is if he goes elsewhere and thrives, and we struggle to replace him for a long period of time (say 5-10 years+). If he plays great elsewhere, and we're winning, I wouldn't give a shit.

Simba

Staff Member
Maybe. None of these sides have any urgency, as the Chargers/Bengals control their guys for two more years before they even have to consider FT, and the Eagles could easily FT if needed. I think they'll all get done, but has the feel of more of a Summer/Fall timeframe. Could easily happen after the FT deadline has passed, which means neither Lamar nor the Ravens could do anything about it if they wanted.
There is some urgency - to be first and set the market before other teams set it for them. Apparently Burrow and Hurts are already pretty far along in the talks and each side is hoping to get it wrapped up first.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
So Atlanta ruled out too. Pete Carroll even said he has no interest in bringing Lamar to Seattle. Lamar is running out of teams or at this point has run out of teams.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
That depends. What if the Chargers jump out the gate and pay Herbert 210 full guaranteed?
Then it will establish the market definitively, and we'll either get in line or trade him.

Also just depends on the context of the deal. $210M is a lot, but if its a 10 year, $500M deal, is it a lot?

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
There is some urgency - to be first and set the market before other teams set it for them. Apparently Burrow and Hurts are already pretty far along in the talks and each side is hoping to get it wrapped up first.
I mean "some" but not like "have to get this done in a couple months" some. Plus with those two specifically, the market is basically "pay me $1M in total more than the last guy". Not like Burrow is going to sign for $50M a year and Hurts demands $55M. They're all fairly comparable.

If I were those two, I'd probably wait on Herbert, because he's the "less accomplished" of the three.

I think Eagles want to get it done during 2023, but Bengals or Chargers could easily wait until later in the year or even early next year.

In my opinion its a win/win for the Ravens to allow 1-2 of these deals to happen before Lamar. It brings indisputable clarity. Especially if its Burrow or Hurts. Lamar can't look himself in the mirror and sell getting anything other than a tiny fraction more than those two, regardless of what the offer is.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Who cares if he does? I don't even care if he beats us. All I would care about is whether we have a better team in the long run based on how we handle the trade.

For all I know, he may go to a team with a bunch of shit players and he leads 9-8 teams for several years and gets beaten by plenty of good teams. Lord knows he's wanted to smash a lot of teams he's played while with us and hasn't done so.

Only thing about a trade that would disappointment is if he goes elsewhere and thrives, and we struggle to replace him for a long period of time (say 5-10 years+). If he plays great elsewhere, and we're winning, I wouldn't give a shit.
I love a great revenge game when players face their old teams. It's all in the fun of the game. All of this other stuff you said is a given. Especially, if Lamar thrives elsewhere.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
So Atlanta ruled out too. Pete Carroll even said he has no interest in bringing Lamar to Seattle. Lamar is running out of teams or at this point has run out of teams.

I will go out on a limb and say there is 0% chance Lamar will be traded to any team this season where they give Lamar anywhere close to the insane (Watson deal) guaranteed money he thinks he is worth and give us two first round picks to boot. If a team is going to cripple their cap and not be able to pay their players on top of that, they damn sure need those two first rounders to stay competitive. No way in hell the Colts, Titans, Falcons, or any other quarterback needy team is committing to that. If a trade happens it is going to be a weird deal where we take another player (probably a Quarterback) off their hands or we give up on getting two first rounders in return, because otherwise it ain’t happening.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Think about this- when Lamar won his MVP it was before these dudes were playing- Mahomes, Herbert, Burrow, and Lawrence. Allen was a rookie. So, Jackson has been passed by these guys, owns 1 playoff victory, and hasn't finished the last two seasons. The Browns will only set the market for desperation and stupidity. Deshaun Watson may not even be top 10 QB. At any rate, no QB should make more than Mahomes.
Your timing is a little off with a couple of guys but your point remains valid.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
since I doubt Lamar gets a deal and will probably hold out and this drama continues, when he comes back, how loud do you think the boo’s will be when he comes out of the tunnel?

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
since I doubt Lamar gets a deal and will probably hold out and this drama continues, when he comes back, how loud do you think the boo’s will be when he comes out of the tunnel?

First TD pass it stops

RavenRockaRolla

Practice Squad
Lamar Jackson Tweeted me BACK!!! He is so genuine!

Ok now there's not a fan here that doesn't know the Raven offense is not made of stars. Mark Andrews is very good, but overall that offense is not pro bowl caliber. Everyone knows it, everyone knows. Lamar Jackson has made every member of that offense look better than they really are. We have mediocre running backs that break long gains because the defense is watching Lamar first on the option. We have an offensive line that Lamar makes better by escaping when other QB's would be sacked right off. Lamar buys time for receivers and allows them to trick open. Receivers that are middling at best. It is undeniable that Lamar Jackson improves that entire offense and his value includes that bonus. Time to pay him for it. Everyone knows these teams that had interest are now colluding. They wont collude forever and if Lamar Jackson isnt' there to make that offense look better, its going to be very bad.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Lamar Jackson Tweeted me BACK!!! He is so genuine!

Ok now there's not a fan here that doesn't know the Raven offense is not made of stars. Mark Andrews is very good, but overall that offense is not pro bowl caliber. Everyone knows it, everyone knows. Lamar Jackson has made every member of that offense look better than they really are. We have mediocre running backs that break long gains because the defense is watching Lamar first on the option. We have an offensive line that Lamar makes better by escaping when other QB's would be sacked right off. Lamar buys time for receivers and allows them to trick open. Receivers that are middling at best. It is undeniable that Lamar Jackson improves that entire offense and his value includes that bonus. Time to pay him for it. Everyone knows these teams that had interest are now colluding. They wont collude forever and if Lamar Jackson isnt' there to make that offense look better, its going to be very bad.

I'm not going to say you're completely wrong but I think Dobbins was averaging like 5.0 ypc without LJ on the field. Honestly a very good or elite quarterback is suppose to improve the offense. Andy Reid is considered a offensive genius but without Patrick Mahomes then that offense doesn't look nearly as explosive or as good.