• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Passer rating: Joe Flacco 84.2 Lamar Jackson 73.1
Yards per attempt: Joe Flacco 6.5 Lamar Jackson 7.4
Yards per completion Joe Flacco 10.6 Lamar Jackson 12.2
Adjusted yards per attempt Joe Flacco 6.4 Lamar Jackson 5.7
Obviously much smaller sample size for Lamar. This doesn't reflect what he adds to our running game, so even from a numbers perspective it makes sense to start Lamar.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Obviously much smaller sample size for Lamar. This doesn't reflect what he adds to our running game, so even from a numbers perspective it makes sense to start Lamar.
How tf is Lamar’s adjusted ypa lower if his yards per attempt and yards per completion are higher??

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
this is the formula apparently:

(pass yards + 20*(pass TD) - 45*(interceptions thrown))/(passing attempts)

basically lamar gets shafted because of the ints and the fact that he only has 1 passing td
There are several formulas out there for adjusted yards per attempt I couldn't find out which one they exactly used. But one them also includes sacks and Lamar takes more sacks than Flacco which could also lead to a lower statistic

rossihunter2

Staff Member
There are several formulas out there for adjusted yards per attempt I couldn't find out which one they exactly used. But one them also includes sacks and Lamar takes more sacks than Flacco which could also lead to a lower statistic

the sacks one is adjusted NET yards per attempt - it's a different stat:

adjusted net yards per passing attempt: (pass yards + 20*(pass TD) - 45*(interceptions thrown) - sack yards)/(passing attempts + sacks)

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Exactly - what we lose in passing game compared to Joe's good games is more than offset by gains in running game and the effect of ToP on our D AND the opposing D

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
So when are people outside of these boards gonna acknowledge that passer rating and passing stats in general are never gonna explain lamar?

Lamar could be bottom 10 in yardage and TDs and still make the goddamn pro bowl and command a #1 rush attack in which he contributes half the yards.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
So when are people outside of these boards gonna acknowledge that passer rating and passing stats in general are never gonna explain lamar?

Lamar could be bottom 10 in yardage and TDs and still make the goddamn pro bowl and command a #1 rush attack in which he contributes half the yards.
Agree. Even qbr, which tales into account rushing, does not take into account the defense having to take LJ into account when he does end up handing the ball off, thus leaving more room for Edwards to run

rossihunter2

Staff Member

most qb stats are completely pointless

the most useful are probably YPA, sacks (which is definitely a qb stat), TD:INT ratio
but they are all also flawed stats

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
BuT FlACco iS a BeTteR dEeP pAssEr thAN LamAR:
4/20 94 yards 2ints on throws targeted 20 yards or more past the LoS (over his last 5 games)

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
BuT FlACco iS a BeTteR dEeP pAssEr thAN LamAR:
4/20 94 yards 2ints on throws targeted 20 yards or more past the LoS (over his last 5 games)

Flacco hasn't really been a great deep ball passer since he lost Torrey (who was able to consistently draw DPIs when the ball wasn't actually catchable).

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Flacco hasn't really been a great deep ball passer since he lost Torrey (who was able to consistently draw DPIs when the ball wasn't actually catchable).

Does that make you a good deep ball passer when the play is "throw it somewhere, Torrey will lose track of it, get interfeared with anx draw PI"? I feel like you don't need to have a good deep ball to pull that off and Flacco's deep ball is WAY overrated because of his arm strength.

Good at medium range passes, does a LOT with TE's and has potential to hit every deep throw but is less than accurate with them. That's my read on Flacco.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Does that make you a good deep ball passer when the play is "throw it somewhere, Torrey will lose track of it, get interfeared with anx draw PI"? I feel like you don't need to have a good deep ball to pull that off and Flacco's deep ball is WAY overrated because of his arm strength.

Good at medium range passes, does a LOT with TE's and has potential to hit every deep throw but is less than accurate with them. That's my read on Flacco.

That's what I was saying? Torrey bailed out Joe so many times that you can argue that he was never a great deep ball passer. People only have the perception that Joe has a great deep ball because of his cannon arm when, in reality, he tends to miss those throws.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
That's what I was saying? Torrey bailed out Joe so many times that you can argue that he was never a great deep ball passer. People only have the perception that Joe has a great deep ball because of his cannon arm when, in reality, he tends to miss those throws.

Its weird how both their weaknesses complimented each other so well

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

Stats is like salt on food. It tastes better but the true is the natural ingredients.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’ve never given two shits about QBR. Never cared about Joes. Don’t care about Lamar’s. If he’s winning games he could have a QBR of 2 and I wouldn’t care. You guys are searching for reasons to diss on Lamar and it’s annoying af