• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Why didn't we take dallas goedert over hurst?

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
One question that I wish was asked more and brought up with more than the ''higher player on our board'' is this.

What did the FO see in hurst over goedert? Most people had him as the number 1 TE in the class. Why didn't this FO think so?

On tape I can see why..

bioLarzen

Practice Squad
Well, I don't think there's anyone here who has seen all the tape the FO has seen on the two - nor does anyone here have the know-how and expertise to analyse those tapes I guess... So I don't think anyone is in the position to give a detailed answer here - so I guess we'll still have to suffice with the "he was higher on their board" answer...

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Because Hurst seems far more athletic. We already have Williams. No need for another TE that can't create separation.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think his age turned off a lot of people on this board, but even before the draft it seemed Hurst was widely regarded as the best TE by GMs and he would've went even earlier if he wasn't turning 25.

On tape it's very evident Hurst wasn't used properly. But he is easily the most explosive TE in this class. I think he has the potential to be a very good if not great TE in the NFL. I have no problem with selecting him over Goedert.

mc_red23

Pro Bowler
One question that I wish was asked more and brought up with more than the ''higher player on our board'' is this.

What did the FO see in hurst over goedert? Most people had him as the number 1 TE in the class. Why didn't this FO think so?

On tape I can see why..

Most people had Goedert over Hurst?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
that's the only thing i can think of tbh
I had Goedert rated ahead of him and agree that Hurst is far more athletic. That being said, TEs typically take some time to adjust to the NFL, but Hurst seems far more ready to get on the ground running more than any tight end in this draft or possibly in recent history,

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Who tf had goedert over hurst????

Goedert was raw ass, ZERO sepration skills, no athleticism aside from verticals, slow, lumbering, heavy footed, zero effort on routes.

Best TE in the class came down to hurst or gesicki.

Y'all overrate the hell out of goedert here, and Sami you just proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that you will shit on this FO regardless of what they do.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Seriously, someone here need to give me one thing goedert does better than hurst, other than contested catch.

Seriously, someone here need to give me one thing goedert does better than hurst, other than contested catch.
Stats...checkmate
I've actually seen people grade the hurst pick poorly based on his lack of stats in college.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Stats...checkmate
I've actually seen people grade the hurst pick poorly based on his lack of stats in college.
Lol deebo Samuel was the lynchpin of that shit offense and the play calling showed it clearly. But the film showed hurst was another league of athlete, with a pros mentality and maybe the best hands in his class.

Goederts film shows that his stats are inflated by poor competition because he is nothing special by NFL standards

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Goedert may be more talented but needs development and this team really isn't in a position right now for us to wait 2-3 years down the line for a TE to have an impact. Hurst's talent level is incredibly close athletically, and he is more explosive with better hands, and his game is more polished.

I had a higher grade on Goedert but had Gesicki, Hurst, and Goedert(hell.. Andrews too. Fuck that was a steal) all in the same grade range. So who cares? Just because Hurst doesn't fit your precious analytics doesn't mean shit. Watch the damn tape and tell me something.. What is actually wrong with his game other than age? His game virtually has no weaknesses. Quality route runner? Check. Vice grip hands? Check. Adaquate in jump ball situations? Check. Good explosiveness? Check. Ability to seperate on a consistent basis? Check.

Fuck me, you will literally complain about everything won't you? Life is too damn short to be so angry all the time. Sit back, drink a beer, take the edge off and stop worrying.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
You complaining about this shit is literally akin to complaining about getting a Gibson Les Paul traditional vs. a Gibson Les Paul Custom. The Custom is indeed a superior guitar... But really by how much? It's like comparing a Ferrari to a goddamn Porsche. The Ferrari will handle better sure, but the Porsche is still a goddamn Porsche.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
You complaining about this shit is literally akin to complaining about getting a Gibson Les Paul traditional vs. a Gibson Les Paul Custom. The Custom is indeed a superior guitar... But really by how much? It's like comparing a Ferrari to a goddamn Porsche. The Ferrari will handle better sure, but the Porsche is still a goddamn Porsche.
Lol idk man Porsche's are super nice but a Ferrari is a tier above.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor

On tape I can see why..
Clearly Hurst was the #1 TE on the Ravens board. He was also the best TE on many pundits' boards. So who cares about a hypothetical small college TE who didn't play against meaningful competition in Dallas Goedert anyway? The Ravens pride themselves on finding small college gems and yet chose to stay away from Goedert. That should tell us a lot about what they thought of him.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Shit i like hurst and andrews tbh. Feel like theyre the only two players we have drafted in a while that looks nfl ready and could probably today. Havent said thought that highley of our draftees since tavon and stanley. im also digging the kenny young pick after watching more tape on him however he looks a little of slow on the field to me

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Goedert may be more talented but needs development and this team really isn't in a position right now for us to wait 2-3 years down the line for a TE to have an impact. Hurst's talent level is incredibly close athletically, and he is more explosive with better hands, and his game is more polished.

I had a higher grade on Goedert but had Gesicki, Hurst, and Goedert(hell.. Andrews too. Fuck that was a steal) all in the same grade range. So who cares? Just because Hurst doesn't fit your precious analytics doesn't mean shit. Watch the damn tape and tell me something.. What is actually wrong with his game other than age? His game virtually has no weaknesses. Quality route runner? Check. Vice grip hands? Check. Adaquate in jump ball situations? Check. Good explosiveness? Check. Ability to seperate on a consistent basis? Check.

Fuck me, you will literally complain about everything won't you? Life is too damn short to be so angry all the time. Sit back, drink a beer, take the edge off and stop worrying.
I have to know... what do you see in goedert? Inferior athlete, total absence of technical skills, and made his whole career on either blown coverages or contested catches against defenders with no ball skills.