• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Why didn't we take dallas goedert over hurst?

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I have to know... what do you see in goedert? Inferior athlete, total absence of technical skills, and made his whole career on either blown coverages or contested catches against defenders with no ball skills.
Seriously? What tape did you watch of him. His ceiling in my eyes is higher than Hurst. Those ball skills, the body control, and the RIDICULOUS catches the dude can make. He's a far better route runner than most people give him credit for, and his burst and athleticism is being criminally underrated by you! Athletically he's not this inferior athlete to Hurst.. He's a much different type of athlete. Oh, and to top it off, Goedert himself was a 2 way TE and has potential as a blocker.

He's not nearly as pro ready as Hurst is. But I had a higher overall grade on Goedert than Hurst even though as players the grade differential doesn't really have much.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Seriously? What tape did you watch of him. His ceiling in my eyes is higher than Hurst. Those ball skills, the body control, and the RIDICULOUS catches the dude can make. He's a far better route runner than most people give him credit for, and his burst and athleticism is being criminally underrated by you! Athletically he's not this inferior athlete to Hurst.. He's a much different type of athlete. Oh, and to top it off, Goedert himself was a 2 way TE and has potential as a blocker.

He's not nearly as pro ready as Hurst is. But I had a higher overall grade on Goedert than Hurst even though as players the grade differential doesn't really have much.
he is a horrible route runner, absolutely horrible, like i struggle to see how anyone can mention it as anything close to a strength, i have watched 5-6 games of his and some games multiple times, tried very hard to see what some others were seeing, i dont think i saw a single route where he planted his foot and cut, head faked, chopped feet, worked for leverage, he consistently would just put his head down and run full steam, and every "route" consisted of just casually changing the direction he was running, no cuts at all.

hes heavy footed as fuck and showed nothing resembling explosiveness or athleticism in general, these minor leaguers had no problem running in stride with him, they had no problem mirroring his moves because he actually made no moves.

he makes some insane catches, ill give you that, but on film its icnredibly evident that level of competition absolutely played a part, a huge portion of his contested catches were against guys that were clearly incapable of turning around and locating the ball.

on film hurst looks like a rare type of athlete for a TE, you simply dont see guys that big and jacked be able to make some of the cuts/jukes he makes, he can stop on a dime at full speed, he has jukes like a mid-tier RB, his run power is that of your typical top tier TE, he is just lethal after the catch. his hands are no worse than goederts, you really cant give goedert any edge there, hurst is a legit route runner with all the agility/explosiveness/smarts that you want, goedert has none of that.

goedert just pales in comparison to hurst in every way imaginable and i watched goedert extensively and still dont see the hype whatsoever, i watched more of goedert than any TE in the class and more than most WRs, hes probably top 5 in the prospects ive watched the most of, i simply could not see it no matter how hard i tried, i dont see how anyone could have a similar grade on the 2. i wouldve taken hurst, gesicki, andrews, thomas, and MAYBE when we get to herndon/akins/schultz ill start grading him similarly.

but hey, it is what it is, i thought mike evans was bound to flame out for many of the same reasons. albeit he played against far better competition and was still much more of a freak than goedert.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor

Lost got it right. It depends on if you give more weight to ceiling/potential than pro readiness.
Goedert got the bigger frame: wingspan 80 to 76 1/2 and is 1.5 years younger.
Goedert also tracks the ball well and uses his body to shield defenders.
The thing with Hurst was he still has to refine his game esp. being an older athlete. He wasn't really a red-zone threat (only 3 TD's in 3 seasons). Flex already posted more than enough pros.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
if i was a millionaire id still buy a lexus or a volvo over any of that overpriced shit. ultimate blend of luxury and sustainability and i dont have to drop 6 figures on a vehicle that id be lucky to use for 10 years. and if i was ozzie/decosta and had to choose between hurst or goedert, in literally 100% of all possible scenarios im taking hurst and not even fucking considering the alternative.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
if i was a millionaire id still buy a lexus or a volvo over any of that overpriced shit. ultimate blend of luxury and sustainability and i dont have to drop 6 figures on a vehicle that id be lucky to use for 10 years. and if i was ozzie/decosta and had to choose between hurst or goedert, in literally 100% of all possible scenarios im taking hurst and not even fucking considering the alternative.

oh yeah i agree with that - hurst is the better player, is more of a 2 way te than goedert, is physically more imposing as a tight end and is also just a plain better fit - on my board hurst was clearly the higher player partly because of fit - the only 2 knocks on hurst are that he's not been playing football for very long at a high level and his age...

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’ll say this much: everyone here makes me feel better about picking Hurst. I personally liked Goedert and Hurst better than Gesicki mainly because Gesicki looked slow on game film when I watched him—Combine numbers be damned. Since everyone seems split between Gesicki and Goedert but all seem to consider Hurst amongst them, I actually think that bodes well for him compared to them. Also I do think the fact that Hurst played in the SEC and his age helped him for reasons others already explained.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I’ll say this much: everyone here makes me feel better about picking Hurst. I personally liked Goedert and Hurst better than Gesicki mainly because Gesicki looked slow on game film when I watched him—Combine numbers be damned. Since everyone seems split between Gesicki and Goedert but all seem to consider Hurst amongst them, I actually think that bodes well for him compared to them. Also I do think the fact that Hurst played in the SEC and his age helped him for reasons others already explained.
I thought goedert looked far slower on film than gesicki, who was my personal favorite but I admitted he looked slow.

When it comes to contested catches and literally everything else gesicki outshines goedert by a mile. They're the same prospect except one is simply better, and hurst is above both in all facets but contested catches

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I thought goedert looked far slower on film than gesicki, who was my personal favorite but I admitted he looked slow.

When it comes to contested catches and literally everything else gesicki outshines goedert by a mile. They're the same prospect except one is simply better, and hurst is above both in all facets but contested catches

And on that last point hurst is probably a lot better at generally tracking the ball in the air too - he himself said baseball almost certainly helps him in that regard because the ball is so much smaller

and he plays faster on film too so doesn’t have as many contested catch opportunities

arnie_uk

Veteran
he is a horrible route runner, absolutely horrible, like i struggle to see how anyone can mention it as anything close to a strength, i have watched 5-6 games of his and some games multiple times, tried very hard to see what some others were seeing, i dont think i saw a single route where he planted his foot and cut, head faked, chopped feet, worked for leverage, he consistently would just put his head down and run full steam, and every "route" consisted of just casually changing the direction he was running, no cuts at all.

hes heavy footed as fuck and showed nothing resembling explosiveness or athleticism in general, these minor leaguers had no problem running in stride with him, they had no problem mirroring his moves because he actually made no moves.

he makes some insane catches, ill give you that, but on film its icnredibly evident that level of competition absolutely played a part, a huge portion of his contested catches were against guys that were clearly incapable of turning around and locating the ball.

on film hurst looks like a rare type of athlete for a TE, you simply dont see guys that big and jacked be able to make some of the cuts/jukes he makes, he can stop on a dime at full speed, he has jukes like a mid-tier RB, his run power is that of your typical top tier TE, he is just lethal after the catch. his hands are no worse than goederts, you really cant give goedert any edge there, hurst is a legit route runner with all the agility/explosiveness/smarts that you want, goedert has none of that.

goedert just pales in comparison to hurst in every way imaginable and i watched goedert extensively and still dont see the hype whatsoever, i watched more of goedert than any TE in the class and more than most WRs, hes probably top 5 in the prospects ive watched the most of, i simply could not see it no matter how hard i tried, i dont see how anyone could have a similar grade on the 2. i wouldve taken hurst, gesicki, andrews, thomas, and MAYBE when we get to herndon/akins/schultz ill start grading him similarly.

but hey, it is what it is, i thought mike evans was bound to flame out for many of the same reasons. albeit he played against far better competition and was still much more of a freak than goedert.
You also didnt rate pettis who was what the third wr taken.

Definitive statements like "horrible" may not be the way too go.

And on your last part.... i still cant wrap my head around mike evans