• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

DC: Mike Macdonald

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Didn't result in a loss but 5 times the opponent has had the ball last while losing. 4 times they've won. Today with a better kicker its 5.

23 seconds guys. And against literally the worst or second worst offense in the league.

Totally unacceptable
Very much so. I hope Jeff Zrebiec asks MM about this in his exit conference when our season is over. He needs to answer for this.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
better kicker?
did you forget it was a 63 yd attempt outdoors?
I'm confused why you're confused? My point is with 23 seconds left, the defense allowed the Broncos to run the play that would win the game.

Yes it was a long FG and outside. It was not probable that he'd make it but that was makeable by multiple kickers in this league.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I'm confused why you're confused? My point is with 23 seconds left, the defense allowed the Broncos to run the play that would win the game.

Yes it was a long FG and outside. It was not probable that he'd make it but that was makeable by multiple kickers in this league.
I think only Tucker makes it there tbh

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i guess i was more just saying that i get the point about the defence - but felt like it was harsh to "lay the blame" for their loss on McManus

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
For 3 quarters every week MacDonald looks like a great DC but then he plays too soft in end game situations and allows terrible offenses to play uncontested throw and catch down the field on us in a very Dean Pees fashion.

You could say he's young and still learning, but it has happened again and again and cost us wins or allowed bad teams to come close, so is he really learning anything?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
For 3 quarters every week MacDonald looks like a great DC but then he plays too soft in end game situations and allows terrible offenses to play uncontested throw and catch down the field on us in a very Dean Pees fashion.

You could say he's young and still learning, but it has happened again and again and cost us wins or allowed bad teams to come close, so is he really learning anything?
we did pretty well on that last drive keeping the plays in bounds outside of the final play where RW was able to get out of bounds. No one was open and the only reason we were in that position was truly due to RW having a big gain running the ball due to everyone being covered. Defense did well for the entire game outside of a couple big passes. Not one touchdown pass was given up and held them to 3 fgs.

This game should have been total domination.

Cloud

Practice Squad
Yeah, I won't say "far from the problem." Dolphins game and Jags game come into mind. For 3 quarters, they played very well in both games. All of a sudden, it's like they forgot how to play. Heck, if it wasn't for Lamar's and Tucker's heroics, we would've lost to the Bengals as well since the defense gave up the go-ahead TD late.

To me, this is on MM. This defense doesn't lack talent. The pass-rush has gotten better since Bowser returned. The run defense continues to be, at worst, solid. I refer to the post directly above yours as some causes of the problem.
We held Jacksonville to 1.9 ypc.

We fumbled on our own 6 yard line in the 4th quarter. Offense gave that game away

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Someone defend this guy because I wouldn't be bringing him back next year

he's in year 1 of his tenure as a young coach
the general philosophy and approach of this defence has been very promising

where it's failed, it's been down to 2 things
1) injuries affecting key positions in certain games (e.g. CBs vs Miami, DL vs Steelers)
2) situational playcalling

both of those things are fixable within the existing structure of the defence - MM needs to improve but the designing part of his job has been seemingly done well - the defensive collapses in 2 minute and game-ending scenarios are unacceptable and it's a worry that they're still not corrected this late in the year but there's enough there that the more i think about it, the more i think it would be a bad idea to just move on (unless Harbs thinks, with his knowledge of mike over the years, that the situational stuff isnt fixable)

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
he's in year 1 of his tenure as a young coach
the general philosophy and approach of this defence has been very promising

where it's failed, it's been down to 2 things
1) injuries affecting key positions in certain games (e.g. CBs vs Miami, DL vs Steelers)
2) situational playcalling

both of those things are fixable within the existing structure of the defence - MM needs to improve but the designing part of his job has been seemingly done well - the defensive collapses in 2 minute and game-ending scenarios are unacceptable and it's a worry that they're still not corrected this late in the year but there's enough there that the more i think about it, the more i think it would be a bad idea to just move on (unless Harbs thinks, with his knowledge of mike over the years, that the situational stuff isnt fixable)
I can respect and understand that and still accept that this season, even if Lamar comes back and the offense plays better, this defense will at some point let us down.

Point is, he may be good going forward, but he ain't fixing it this year. He's proven he can't.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I can respect and understand that and still accept that this season, even if Lamar comes back and the offense plays better, this defense will at some point let us down.

Point is, he may be good going forward, but he ain't fixing it this year. He's proven he can't.

oh sure - this was more a response to the idea that he might be fireable after 1 year which i think he probably shouldnt be even despite the uncorrected situational failings