• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2023 DB Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
We've got one of the best looking S groups in the league for 2023.

CB is another matter - with MP clearly having lost a step, Stephens being inconsistent and coaches seemingly being unsure about whether he's a S or an outside CB in the league and having only added 2 4th round picks in 2022... feels like a year where we might need to look very closely at some of the top CBs in the class.

It's a year where we're down some picks for the first time in a while (not that I'm complaining because we got Roquan - who we'll hopefully find a way to re-sign this offseason) - but it does put a lot of pressure on our 1st round pick and we've got 2 pretty key position groups that both feel like they need high-level attention.

On the plus side it looks like this might be a good year to need a CB.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Clark Phillips III is basically a young Marcus Peters. Ultra aggressive, hands on CB that won't hesitate to jump routes and snatch the ball.

He looks nice!

As much as I want a WR… I think CB is where we’ll end up going to

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
This is a tremendous CB class and although we have other needs, ie guard, wr, dt, rb, I could absolutely see us taking a CB with Peters possibly on the way out and Kyle Fuller a huge question mark and a free agent.

After giving the top CBs a preliminary watch I may be in favor of drafting one in the first round. This is definitely a good class at the top. I can say as of right now I like Christian Gonzalez, Clark Phillips III, Emmanuel Forbes Jr, and Cam Smith all in the R1. To a lesser extent I like Devon Witherspoon. I thought I was going to love Joey Porter Jr but I’m not a fan. I hope the hype causes him to go before us. Not a fan of Kelee Ringo either.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
He's not my first choice among CBs, but I wouldn't mind Kelee Ringo. Very traitsy guy with elite athleticism and great size. He's someone that can actually match up with Chase and the big Steelers' WRs.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Trent McDuffie was my guy last year. Glad I was able to "hit" on him. Looking into who my guy at CB will be this year.

Also I never suspected Sauce to be as good as he was, but I had him above Stingley. Who weirdly had a terrible season? I didn't watch any Texans games.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Emmanuel Forbes Jr, CB, Mississippi State

finally started on DBs and coincidentally started with Forbes

really nice prospect - love the length, the athleticism, the fluid hips, the processing and instincts in zone, great ball skills

think he's too aggressive and takes too many chances especially in man coverage

but really enjoyed his tape, im a fan

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Trent McDuffie was my guy last year. Glad I was able to "hit" on him. Looking into who my guy at CB will be this year.

Also I never suspected Sauce to be as good as he was, but I had him above Stingley. Who weirdly had a terrible season? I didn't watch any Texans games.
I suspect Stingley will get much better. Shame he was out since week 10 due to a hamstring issue

rossihunter2

Staff Member
After giving the top CBs a preliminary watch I may be in favor of drafting one in the first round. This is definitely a good class at the top. I can say as of right now I like Christian Gonzalez, Clark Phillips III, Emmanuel Forbes Jr, and Cam Smith all in the R1. To a lesser extent I like Devon Witherspoon. I thought I was going to love Joey Porter Jr but I’m not a fan. I hope the hype causes him to go before us. Not a fan of Kelee Ringo either.

now that im getting further through the CBs (still a couple of names on this list that i need to get to) but i have to say this CB class is nuts lol

Witherspoon's next up on my list

but Cam Smith and Christian Gonzalez are amazing prospects - smith is a bit lean and a little over-aggressive, gonzalez is awful in run support and isnt the most physical... but they're both elite prospects

got them stacked right on top of each other after initial preliminary grading as top 10 type talents - have smith on top right now purely because i think the ravens are gonna love his aggression and physicality but gonzalez's movement skills are outrageous and i reckon im gonna flip-flop between these two many many times before the end of April

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Add Devon Witherspoon to the list of CBs who are really really fun

he might be the best of the bunch so far for me lol - maybe not quite but... even if not he's not far from that top 10 stack of Smith and Gonzalez

ravens are gonna be in love with this guy if he tests even remotely well - arm length measurements gonna be really important to help dictate just how high he goes - long-speed too (although i think he's gonna be fine here... but will need to confirm in the 40)

CB 3 right now for me - but could very easily climb up and join Smith and Gonzalez

man this CB class is fun

Simba

Staff Member
Add Devon Witherspoon to the list of CBs who are really really fun

he might be the best of the bunch so far for me lol - maybe not quite but... even if not he's not far from that top 10 stack of Smith and Gonzalez

ravens are gonna be in love with this guy if he tests even remotely well - arm length measurements gonna be really important to help dictate just how high he goes - long-speed too (although i think he's gonna be fine here... but will need to confirm in the 40)

CB 3 right now for me - but could very easily climb up and join Smith and Gonzalez

man this CB class is fun
CB group looks so damn good so far. Even the 2nd tier guys are very appealing.