• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2018 Purple Flock Pick’em

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Week 4: 10-5
Overall: 34-29

Patriots
Titans
Panthers
Bengals
Chiefs
Steelers
Broncos
Packers
Ravens
Chargers
Rams
Niners
Eagles
Texans
Saints

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
We have decided to count ties as losses

Thats just dumb. If I bet on a game with a +3 point spread and the team wins by 3 I don't l lose I tied. Pick ems are essentially just bets with no line attached so a tie is a push and you don't lose on a push.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Overall: 39-22-2

Week 5

Patriots
Titans
Falcons
Broncos
Jaguars
Packers
Ravens
Panthers
Bengals
Chargers
Cardinals
Vikings
Rams
Texans
Saints

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Thats just dumb. If I bet on a game with a +3 point spread and the team wins by 3 I don't l lose I tied. Pick ems are essentially just bets with no line attached so a tie is a push and you don't lose on a push.
Separate column for ties might just make you feel better but since there is no money involved, it doesn't really matter what we do, as long as everybody does the same.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Separate column for ties might just make you feel better but since there is no money involved, it doesn't really matter what we do, as long as everybody does the same.

Exactly, so for the sake of accuracy why not do the thing that is correct and that wehad been doingall year insteadof a changethat only servesto make the records less accurate?

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Exactly, so for the sake of accuracy why not do the thing that is correct and that wehad been doingall year insteadof a changethat only servesto make the records less accurate?
Except what we are doing isn’t fucking correct. Go play a real fucking pick em and you’ll find out ties are losses. If you’re gonna throw a fucking fit at least be right. But you’re wrong. Pick ems do not give you ties. Go cry about it somewhere else.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Play the fucking game right and stop bitching about something that doesn’t matter.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Except what we are doing isn’t fucking correct. Go play a real fucking pick em and you’ll find out ties are losses. If you’re gonna throw a fucking fit at least be right. But you’re wrong. Pick ems do not give you ties. Go cry about it somewhere else.
And this is the reason I changed my mind.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

First off I think if you reread your post and then mine, you will see the one "throwing a fit" is not me. I merely pointed out the logical inconsistency, you then launched into a profanity laced tirade where you acted like a few swear words make you look more right instead of silly (I read it out loud laughing as it went thinking "Hmmmm he doesn't just think its not correct he thinks its not fucking correct. I am not sure what the difference is...maybe its just the thought of a tie not being a loss is really offensive to him, like people who intentionally wear socks that are different colors"

Now that that mess is out of the way, I have been gambling on football, playing pick em leagues, and playing fantasy since before I probably legally could, and each league functions differently and generally according to the whims of whoever made the website/league you are in though to be fair with how rare they are ( I think the NFL has had something like 6 or 7 ties before this year over the past 15 years or so), so generally its handled in whichever way is easier to code and how the awards are distributed (generally whichever way is easiest for the person running the league).

I have had them put in a category as ties like we do, had them count as losses, even had one league that counted them as wins for some fucking reason. They do not change the result and generally its just a pain to add in an extra category so no one really cares what they count as but for a factual basis a tie is not a loss. Its not a loss when you bet and its not a loss here. If anything I kinda like them being a tie because it means that even when I pick against a team I have a way to root for that team, but lets not pretend there is some established science on picking. There isnt a universal rule set on when picks have to be in by.