• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Fishkeeping

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
First shrimplets spotted! They're so small and they blend in with the gravel. I was lucky to spot this one on the moss ball.

20190217_003742.jpg

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
First shrimplets spotted! They're so small and they blend in with the gravel. I was lucky to spot this one on the moss ball.

View attachment 1330
I used to breed golden bee and taiwan bee shrimps. It was always exciting to discover them, like you said moss balls are your best chance to actually find them. What pH level do they need? IIRC neocaridinas are more robust

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I used to breed golden bee and taiwan bee shrimps. It was always exciting to discover them, like you said moss balls are your best chance to actually find them. What pH level do they need? IIRC neocaridinas are more robust
My pH is close to 7.5 right now. I don't think the neocaridinas are very picky with pH.

The caridina shrimp are really beautiful. I may try keeping them once I finish college and have some more experience with shrimp.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
My pH is close to 7.5 right now. I don't think the neocaridinas are very picky with pH.

The caridina shrimp are really beautiful. I may try keeping them once I finish college and have some more experience with shrimp.
Hmu if you need any help or knowledge. I managed to find an old pic of a taiwan x red bee hybrid. I wish I had the time to do this again.
IMG_1186.JPG

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I'm trying to branch out into planted tanks, so I got some vallisneria, bacopa caroliniana, and the easy green fertilizer from aquarium co-op. A little hard to see the vallisneria in the back, but my plan is to grow the plants out and get that jungle look. Then I can take some and put it in my 55 once I get it up and running.

20190426_193143.jpg

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I've been experimenting with breeding some different kinds of fish. Maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago, my corydoras started breeding. I scooped out roughly 30 eggs, but I was only able to get 4 to hatch successfully. In that time, they've grown extremely quickly and they already look like miniature adults.

I've also been trying to breed my neon and black neon tetras. I set up a breeding tank, added some Indian almond leaves and put the black neons in. The next morning, I saw them spawn, but none of the eggs hatched.

I tried again with my neons, and I was able to get them to lay eggs as well. The past few days I've been looking to see if any of the eggs had hatched, and today I found a baby. The hatch rate must not have been very good (or they're all hiding in the spawning mop I made) because I only saw this one. It was hard to spot, and I was just about to empty the tank and start over. I'll probably know for sure how many I have over the next couple days.

I'll see if I can share some pictures soon.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
20190626_210356.jpg

20190626_210940.jpg

Picture of the baby neon. The first picture shows just how small it is. As far as I can tell, there is only one.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
So I was wrong, it's a black neon tetra. I had bred them before I tried breeding the regular neons, and I had thought that none of their eggs had hatched. I regret giving up on those eggs so fast, because there may have been more that I couldn't see that were eaten by the neons when I put them in.

20190715_134652.jpg

A bit longer than a cm, you can see the colors starting to come in.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
20190822_142816.jpg

I've moved the little fish into my main tank. I took this picture Aug. 22nd, and the one in the back is the baby. It's only a little bit smaller than the adults (the 2 in the front). I have a couple young cardinal tetras that I got in May and the black neon is already about the same size as they are.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
*Documenting more of my fish stuff*

I've been attempting breeding more fish. In February, I bred my peppered cories and had about 20 survive to young adults.

I spent most of the summer conditioning my tetras, and it paid off 2 weeks ago. My Inpaichthys kerri tetras (not really sure of the common name) laid eggs. I've counted about 8 babies and I'm hoping more will pop up as they get bigger. I'm excited about these guys because the males have such a pretty blue shimmer. My current school is at 7 fish, and if everything goes right, I'll end up with 15-ish fish. I haven't had a school of tetras bigger than 10 fish before and it should look pretty cool.

Nurps

MVP
I really miss fishkeeping and hope to get back into it someday. Good luck with those tetras! I really only kept large, aggressive species.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I really miss fishkeeping and hope to get back into it someday. Good luck with those tetras! I really only kept large, aggressive species.
How large were your fish?

My problem with those kinds of fish is that you need a lot of space for them. I prefer to have smaller fish so I can have bigger groups. If I had the money and the space, I'd love to try a monster fish tank, though.

Nurps

MVP
Yeah I had a huge tank but when fish recognize you and swim up to the glass and let you pet them, its pretty awesome lol.

My Flowerhorn (The one who loved to be "pet") was the most beautiful Ive owned but my favorite was my Jaguar Cichlid. He was a bad ass. Very big and very aggressive and had this purple sheen to him.