• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to Baltimore: Trenton Simpson

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
A shocker to a lot of us in the draft day thread. But he was truly BPA, the only name we had left on our board at that pick, and our top ILB prospect in the draft.

This is the second time this draft where we got the guy who we had most highly rated at their position.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
A reddit comment on Simpson

"So I’m a Clemson fan, and Simpson was literally Isaiah Simmons’ replacement and was spectacular as a freshman and sophomore.

As a junior, our new defensive coordinator moved him from that nickel/Sam role to Will LB (in order to get our stud Barrett Carter on the field more). He played pretty well but was not as awesome as he was at Sam.

I could see Macdonald moving Simpson around a little bit and could potentially free up Hamilton to move back to strong safety in nickel packages. He gives us a lot of versatility and a cheap linebacker option with Queen likely on the way out this year or next."

Simba

Staff Member
If you take away the 3rd ILB aspect and just look at the tape, he’s a damn good player. An absolutely missile. Wish he made more instinctive plays sometimes but he’s not one that overthinks and hesitates. If he makes a mistake, he’s making it at 100 mph and I can live with that.

Big concern is that he’s not super adept in coverage. Think he can grow there but a case where his usage all over at Clemson does not equal him being good at all of those roles. I like him working downhill and sideline to sideline more than working in coverage.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
  • 6’2 235lbs
  • Great looking frame and pretty freaky athlete that pops on film
  • Walling off and carrying TEs up the field vertically up the seam
  • He moves and looks almost like a safety – can probably play some safety with the way he moves tbh
  • Plays both ILB and OLB and even some bits that look like safety play
  • Good contain as a rusher
  • Has some speed off the edge but not much hand work – speed and power makes him a really effective blitzer/stunter – really useful in line games upfront
  • Good reads generally – a little slow to work upfield but decent mirror and discipline working to the ball carrier – just very passive sorting through trash
  • Play-recognition is inconsistent
  • Stack and shed – has some explosion to his disengage – needs to improve technically with his block deconstruction
  • Physical finish onto ball carriers – not consistent wrapping
  • Has power when attacking downhill at the contact-point with momentum – a little light and lacks anchor or pop without a run-up
  • Great depth and movement skills dropping into coverage – rotated all over the field and comfortable working out of the slot vs TEs if he gets dragged out there – able to work vs RBs too
  • Looking to disrupt receivers off the line with bumps as they get into the route
  • Has legit closing speed – explosive to the ball – range sideline-to-sideline is excellent
dude's movement skills are crazy
explosive, rangy, freaky

can see why he was the only day 2 guy left on the ravens board
they said he was zach orr's number 1 LB in the class - you can see why...

and this is why BPA rules the day - you either reach for someone at EDGE or CB with the board mostly cleaned out or you take this guy...

Tank

Hall of Famer
Thinking this pretty much signals the end of PQ's time in Baltimore. Too bad as it seemed he was just rounding into form.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Harbs is smiling ear to ear. Got his gunner baby. :party:

In all seriousness even though I am serious about spteams he was the 2nd best ILB chase guy after Sanders. 4.43 is eyepopping also. We'll see how he does in preseason but no sense to trade Queen now. Lets see how traing camp goes.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Thinking this pretty much signals the end of PQ's time in Baltimore. Too bad as it seemed he was just rounding into form.
maybe, maybe not. I could still see both of them on the field at the same time this year and moving on from PQ in '24

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
This was a good pick. I think he and Queen are very similar but Simpson is going to be cheaper for a few years whereas Queen is up for a deal and we could never keep both him & Smith with Lamar also here. I could see us trade Queen or simply keep him and ride it out to hopefully collect a 3rd/4th round comp next year (I think 4th is more likely, but I never like to rule out anything as absolute a year away).

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Wait. Queen is 23 years old?

Is that right?

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Wait. Queen is 23 years old?

Is that right?
This changes somewhat my overall negative impression of him during his time as a Raven. He has been pretty inconsistent and was indeed improving before Roquan got here and really turned it on with Roquan in the middle.
He has had quite a few really poor games.