• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Missed Tackles, the Injuries and the Special Teams

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
For as well as Lamar has played this year , the man still can’t figure out how to put some air on the ball for deep routes. So many missed opportunities, gotta take advantage when the guys are separating deep like that

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Ravens are their own worst enemies in games such as these losses to the Colts, Steelers, and the Browns. They were up, dominating, or leading in all three of those games, and then took their foot off the gas near the end in all three of those games which gave them the same result in all three of those games: an "L". Insanity is doing the same thing, the same way and expecting different results.
So I don't think people can sell the idea that we "took our foot off the gas" in this game. I don't think you'll find that on film.

Like I know we can't make the argument that we went "conservative" on offense, mostly because our RBs only had 16 carries the whole game, which is extremely low for a Ravens team.

We led 17-3, 24-9, and we led 31-17 in middle of the 4th. After that, we gave up a long TD drive, the tipped INT for the TD was immediately after that, and all the sudden its 31-30. On the next drive, we ran two designed runs on seven plays with a one point lead.

At a macro-level, it's just not a great game from the defense.

Browns last six drives:
70 yards - FG , 33 yards (off a blocked FG), end of half, 75 yards, - TD, 75 yards - TD, 58 yards - FG

Cleveland had FIVE drives in the game of at least effectively 50 yards... 49, 70, 75, 75, 58.

That is not close to what we've seen from this defense this year.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

redrum52

Hall of Famer
For as well as Lamar has played this year , the man still can’t figure out how to put some air on the ball for deep routes. So many missed opportunities, gotta take advantage when the guys are separating deep like that
The deep throw gimmes have to start connecting.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
So we should definitely be worried about a playoff run
Depends on who you play. At the moment, Cincy, Miami and even KC I don't have nearly as much concern about their defensive fronts as somebody like Cleveland or Pittsburgh.

It's a division game, so I expect them to play us tougher than most, but its become fairly clear that the Ravens probably don't want to play a division rival in the playoffs.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
So I don't think people can sell the idea that we "took our foot off the gas" in this game. I don't think you'll find that on film.

Like I know we can't make the argument that we went "conservative" on offense, mostly because our RBs only had 16 carries the whole game, which is extremely low for a Ravens team.

We led 17-3, 24-9, and we led 31-17 in middle of the 4th. After that, we gave up a long TD drive, the tipped INT for the TD was immediately after that, and all the sudden its 31-30. On the next drive, we ran two designed runs on seven plays with a one point lead.

At a macro-level, it's just not a great game from the defense.

Browns last six drives:
70 yards - FG , 33 yards (off a blocked FG), end of half, 75 yards, - TD, 75 yards - TD, 58 yards - FG

Cleveland had FIVE drives in the game of at least effectively 50 yards... 49, 70, 75, 75, 58.

That is not close to what we've seen from this defense this year.
You are right! :cool:

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Here's my rant :

It's okay that we lost this game. No one wins every game in the NFL, it doesn't work like that. The Chiefs lost to the Broncos two weeks ago.
It's also okay to admit the Browns were the more physical team and just played better than us in the second half. Call it a comeback if you want, they deserved to win that game.

I've also learned in my years watching this sport that every loss hurts really bad. I've seen my soccer team lose countless times, it doesn't even compare. So on some sunday evening you feel like absolute shit. But that's the way this sport is made.

Also, comebacks are just a part of this game. It's litteraly made to favour it. Leading for much of the game doesn't mean you're the better team, just that you got a headstart.

Here's the thing though : this is the only way I've seen this team lose recently. They've never been beaten for 4 quarters, they never lost a slugfest or a shootout. They've always had a nice headstart before getting caught from behind. On a Win Loss basis, I don't care. But if I'm thinking about the playoffs ? That's gotta be fixed.
If we're in Arrowhead in january, and we lead by 10 at the half, we need to learn how to keep the game in our control. If Pat comes out and scores right out of the gates, we need to learn to not shit our pants.

Which falls on Harbaugh, Lamar, McDonald, Roquan, and everyone. Guys need to make a play when the opponent starts showing life. If we don't there's no hope in the playoffs because we're not winning those games 38-3.
Oh wow what I've been saying the whole time here. But blah blah overreaction Monday. Blah blah.

Just look it up. This team has found a way to lose already won games at a historic pace across SEASONS.

John keeps saying get the lead, keep the lead. If he does not figure out how to coach his team to do the second part this team has no chance of beating a quality team in the playoffs.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
I know because he overthrows them we say Lamar should put more air under it, but I wonder if him trying to do that is leading to more overthrows, maybe he should just start lining them on a rope

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Depends on who you play. At the moment, Cincy, Miami and even KC I don't have nearly as much concern about their defensive fronts as somebody like Cleveland or Pittsburgh.

It's a division game, so I expect them to play us tougher than most, but its become fairly clear that the Ravens probably don't want to play a division rival in the playoffs.
My take on playing a division opponent in the playoffs is you love it as the underdog, you hate it as the favorite. It helped us last year, this year I don’t want it

Simba

Staff Member
Sometimes the defense wins, in the end solid pressure beats any QB, no matter who
Yep. Browns had a good gameplan set up with some obviously good players in that front 7. Sack numbers don't exactly show it for them, but the pressure was almost constant all game. Lamar was working out of an extremely tight pocket for a significant majority of the game.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

The last one is so frustrating, i remember it in the game, just go, stop waiting
Lamar needed to fucking run there and it might have been game over. He needs to start pulling the fucking trigger and stop trying to be mahomes, and the crazy thing is, mahomes would’ve pulled the trigger there for a massive run, why the fuck wouldn’t Lamar?

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Lamar needed to fucking run there and it might have been game over. He needs to start pulling the fucking trigger and stop trying to be mahomes, and the crazy thing is, mahomes would’ve pulled the trigger there for a massive run, why the fuck wouldn’t Lamar?
Same shit i said!! I also think he tends to sit in the pocket far too long quite often. I hope come playoffs, he realizes that people only care about wins and loses cause i think he is trying to do a lil too much in the passing game. Mf needs to take off every chance he gets.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

The last one is so frustrating, i remember it in the game, just go, stop waiting
Same shit i said!! I also think he tends to sit in the pocket far too long quite often. I hope come playoffs, he realizes that people only care about wins and loses cause i think he is trying to do a lil too much in the passing game. Mf needs to take off every chance he gets.
This is probably the most athletic defense we will face all year. I’m doubting many teams can replicate what the Browns did in the second half