• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Missed Tackles, the Injuries and the Special Teams

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
You know what pissed me off a lot yesterday, when Lamar was hit clearly out of the bounds the announcer Harped on it forever like Lamar deserved it and the crowd and team was dumb for getting fired up, replay clearly showed we were right and he still wouldn’t admit he was wrong

marklar

Pro Bowler
I'm all for overreactions, that's part of being a fan. To me, I don't think we saw anything new yesterday. We knew this is a good, but inconsistent team and although frustrating, this is who they are. Which can still last a long way considering the quite mediocre 2012 team won it all by getting hot at the right time.

Regarding Mitchell's low usage - I haven't tried re-watching the game, but I noticed during the broadcast that I saw him badly miss on a pass blocking rep where he started going right, then moved back in, and ended up blocking no one despite a lot of rushers. In a game where Jackson is already running for his life, that might have been a reason for limiting his playing time. Blitz pickup is hopefully something he'll learn over time.

Better luck on Thursday, I hope.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Same shit i said!! I also think he tends to sit in the pocket far too long quite often. I hope come playoffs, he realizes that people only care about wins and loses cause i think he is trying to do a lil too much in the passing game. Mf needs to take off every chance he gets.
Same here.

marklar

Pro Bowler
Regarding the O-line, I agree with @QtR Nevermore that is has been good overall. But, if the injuries start piling up now, I think we're going to suffer from missing too many mid-round picks over the last 5 years. Phillips and Cleveland being notable misses and Faalele is looking like too much of a developmental project to be worth a 4th. Add on Bredeson who we failed to find a roster spot for and Sala looking like he's a couple of years of development until he can contribute and we should have done better on that specific part. I probably forget some, but outside of our 1st rounders in Stanley and Linerbaum, we haven't gotten much out of our draft picks.

Edit: obviously forgot about Powers, but as great as he was in year 4, he didn't do too much until then

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
The thing that’s really annoying so far is yea every team has bad losses and games that get away; those get cancelled out for games you steal. What game have we stolen? That’s 3 so far stolen from us, we haven’t won a game the other team should have won

D1City55

Pro Bowler
man, feels like Bateman has been making plays lately. I don’t know I feel like he just doesn’t get the football enough anymore. I was critical of him earlier in the season but he’s been making plays. Need to get the football to your first round pick.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
man, feels like Bateman has been making plays lately. I don’t know I feel like he just doesn’t get the football enough anymore. I was critical of him earlier in the season but he’s been making plays. Need to get the football to your first round pick.
I mean, how much is "more"? He's third in line for targets most weeks, behind Flowers and Andrews, who should obviously get more looks than he does. Yesterday, OBJ didn't play a ton, and Bateman played a lot.

Yesterday, we only attempted 23 passes. Bateman had the same # of targets as Andrews @ 4. That was behind only Flowers.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

Tank

Hall of Famer
Same shit i said!! I also think he tends to sit in the pocket far too long quite often. I hope come playoffs, he realizes that people only care about wins and loses cause i think he is trying to do a lil too much in the passing game. Mf needs to take off every chance he gets.
Yeah, the whole idea of being a mobile QB is using your mobility to avoid the rush when needed. I don't know if he needs to just take off every time but he has to sense pressure earlier and at least try to move to a safe place. He's too slippery and elusive to not take advantage of it.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm all for overreactions, that's part of being a fan. To me, I don't think we saw anything new yesterday. We knew this is a good, but inconsistent team and although frustrating, this is who they are. Which can still last a long way considering the quite mediocre 2012 team won it all by getting hot at the right time.

Regarding Mitchell's low usage - I haven't tried re-watching the game, but I noticed during the broadcast that I saw him badly miss on a pass blocking rep where he started going right, then moved back in, and ended up blocking no one despite a lot of rushers. In a game where Jackson is already running for his life, that might have been a reason for limiting his playing time. Blitz pickup is hopefully something he'll learn over time.

Better luck on Thursday, I hope.
We’re always looking for someone to blame as fans. Honestly I just think this one is more about the Browns than the Ravens. They overcame a horrible start and flexed their athleticism.

Tank

Hall of Famer
The "tipped pass" pick six was bizarre. Lamar just sidearmed the ball into the guys face mask. Definitely a WTF moment.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Marlon's a high end player who hasn't historically had injury issues, so not sure what the objective would be in getting rid of him.
Regardless, he's locked into a roster spot in '24 and can't envision much of a scenario where he's not a Raven for at least two more years after this one.

Stanley's situation is wide open. I think moving off of him before the draft would be a mistake, but it does come with nearly $9M in cap savings. That number goes to $15M if it happens after June 1. So I think, realistically, he's on the roster next year until we at least see what happens in the draft.

I do wonder if paycut is an option, however. He's due $15M in salary and roster bonuses, and a cap hit of just over $26M. I would imagine they'll need to figure out a way to reduce that # one way or another.

I don't think people know how important Marlo has been for us

Tank

Hall of Famer
We’re always looking for someone to blame as fans. Honestly I just think this one is more about the Browns than the Ravens. They overcame a horrible start and flexed their athleticism.
Browns played a good game, no question. But without the turnovers we do enough to still win.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Now the media is taking shots at Lamar, same passing TDs as Mac Jones and 10 fumbles

We should know better than anyone else that Lamar has been getting dumped on since before he came into the league. It is what it is.

It doesn't matter. If they want to believe that they are close in comparison to stats so be it. Add the rush yards, add the rushing Tds, and add the fact that we run the ball in the redzone all the time

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
You know what pissed me off a lot yesterday, when Lamar was hit clearly out of the bounds the announcer Harped on it forever like Lamar deserved it and the crowd and team was dumb for getting fired up, replay clearly showed we were right and he still wouldn’t admit he was wrong

Exactly. And Jonathan Vilma only marginally toned down during the replay. I understand the momentum aspect, but he was taken off of his feet by contact that only begun as he was going out of bounds. He may be a runner, but the play is over at that point. Doesn't help that the very next play is an interception while things are still cooling down. Woeful throw on his end, sure. But the play prior did not help him get settled.

Simba

Staff Member
He's certainly been playing with a lot more confidence in recent weeks. Still pretty quiet overall but seems the potential is there for a breakout.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Baffles me that Lamar and the Ravens pass attack is STILL on the bottom end in attempts. How is this possible?

Lamar is currently 22nd in the league in attempts. Guys like Dobbs, Baker, Jordan Love, and Zack Wilson all have significantly more attempts and some in FEWER games

Simba

Staff Member
Baffles me that Lamar and the Ravens pass attack is STILL on the bottom end in attempts. How is this possible?

Lamar is currently 22nd in the league in attempts. Guys like Dobbs, Baker, Jordan Love, and Zack Wilson all have significantly more attempts and some in FEWER games
A lot of those teams have been losing late in the 4th and are almost exclusively throwing the ball at that point. We still believe in using our running game late.