• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2024 QB Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Regardless of where we're picking, the more QBs that get taken, the better.

And it looks like a class with a ton of QBs who may go in the 1st round...

Caleb Williams
Drake May
Jayden Daniels
Michael Penix Jr

And a lot of other intriguing prospects too (if they all come out):

Bo Nix
JJ McCarthy
Shedeur Sanders
Jalen Milroe
Carson Beck

The more the merrier I say.

Ravens could be looking for a developmental guy later for sure. Tyler Huntley is more expensive now (and hitting free agency), Josh Johnson feels like a perpetual QB3 and Malik Cunningham hasn't even been playing QB for the Patriots.

LSURavenFan

Veteran
It's a good year for teams needing a QB.

I think there's a chance that five go in the 1st round.
Williams
Maye
Daniels
Penix
Nix

The question with Michael Penix will be the medicals. He suffered some significant injuries in college. I'm not very high on Bo Nix, but I think he goes in the 1st. I don't think his ceiling is very high in the NFL, maybe a safe floor though.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It's a good year for teams needing a QB.

I think there's a chance that five go in the 1st round.
Williams
Maye
Daniels
Penix
Nix

The question with Michael Penix will be the medicals. He suffered some significant injuries in college. I'm not very high on Bo Nix, but I think he goes in the 1st. I don't think his ceiling is very high in the NFL, maybe a safe floor though.
Would love to see 5 go in the first round as that is only good for us. Atlest 4 of them should go in the first round.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
going to be interesting to see where Penix goes due to the injury history. Per Colin Cowherd, he has interviewed 3 executives over the last 3 weeks and they all say he is the best thrower of the football since Joe Burrow and they all say they would be scared to death taking him at the top of the draft. So yes, he's not going to go 1st and most likely goes in the first round, but how far down the board. It's going to be very interesting, because he put on a display pretty much all season.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
going to be interesting to see where Penix goes due to the injury history. Per Colin Cowherd, he has interviewed 3 executives over the last 3 weeks and they all say he is the best thrower of the football since Joe Burrow and they all say they would be scared to death taking him at the top of the draft. So yes, he's not going to go 1st and most likely goes in the first round, but how far down the board. It's going to be very interesting, because he put on a display pretty much all season.
He's been fine 2 yrs in a row and those executives are talking a bunch of crap. A sure top 10 imo.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
been watching a ton of tape on the top 5 QBs and like most of them. The below are not in any order. Thoughts?

Michael Penix, Jr. - Washington
Could end up being overdrafted ...
Really bad lower body mechanics
makes a lot of bad decisions
very good and accurate arm
needs a team that can work on his mechanics and decision makinig
If that can be fixed he could be the best qb in the class or he will bust.

Caleb Williams - USC
He's got a really nice arm
Deep ball Accuracy
he's really accurate on the run and throws with anticipation
he's had some pretty bad OL play this season which has contributed to some bad decisions
I believe he is a high floor / high ceiling pick

Drake May - NC
trows really well on the run
NC runs a pro style offense with a lot of RPOs
He's athletic with some nice arm strength
sometimes slow in making reads
good pocket sense

Bo Nix - Oregon
throws with anticipation
decent arm
good at moving db with eyes
goes through pre snap reads
has audible power at Oregon
good instincs - heady
good at recognizing coverages
plays really well in structure

Jayden Daniels - LSU
doesn't always go through reads
has rb skills
very elusive
not that accurate
decision making is questionable
(absolutely could see a team taking him to be a lamaresque type of QB. Absolutely not saying he's as good, just athletic.)

Simba

Staff Member
been watching a ton of tape on the top 5 QBs and like most of them. The below are not in any order. Thoughts?

Michael Penix, Jr. - Washington
Could end up being overdrafted ...
Really bad lower body mechanics
makes a lot of bad decisions
very good and accurate arm
needs a team that can work on his mechanics and decision makinig
If that can be fixed he could be the best qb in the class or he will bust.

Caleb Williams - USC
He's got a really nice arm
Deep ball Accuracy
he's really accurate on the run and throws with anticipation
he's had some pretty bad OL play this season which has contributed to some bad decisions
I believe he is a high floor / high ceiling pick

Drake May - NC
trows really well on the run
NC runs a pro style offense with a lot of RPOs
He's athletic with some nice arm strength
sometimes slow in making reads
good pocket sense

Bo Nix - Oregon
throws with anticipation
decent arm
good at moving db with eyes
goes through pre snap reads
has audible power at Oregon
good instincs - heady
good at recognizing coverages
plays really well in structure

Jayden Daniels - LSU
doesn't always go through reads
has rb skills
very elusive
not that accurate
decision making is questionable
(absolutely could see a team taking him to be a lamaresque type of QB. Absolutely not saying he's as good, just athletic.)

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Caleb Williams scares me. I think he's a really good football player but the 'me first' attitude was so apparent this year. Just too many games this year where things weren't going well and he crumbled.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I can't believe I'm saying this, but Caleb Williams scares me. I think he's a really good football player but the 'me first' attitude was so apparent this year. Just too many games this year where things weren't going well and he crumbled.
doesn't do too much in structure either.

OL was pretty bad this year also.

LSURavenFan

Veteran
Jayden Daniels took major steps this year.

I wasn't a huge fan of him his game last year. But he was fantastic this season.

He improved his accuracy on the deep ball. Last season he turned TD's into 1st downs. This year he cashed in when guys were open.

LSU would have lost 5 or 6 games without him. He was excellent in two of the three losses they did have. The Bama game would have went right down to the wire if he didn't get hurt.

Couple things working against him though, he's an older college player and he had two 1st round (likely) receivers in Nabers and Thomas Jr.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Jayden Daniels took major steps this year.

I wasn't a huge fan of him his game last year. But he was fantastic this season.

He improved his accuracy on the deep ball. Last season he turned TD's into 1st downs. This year he cashed in when guys were open.

LSU would have lost 5 or 6 games without him. He was excellent in two of the three losses they did have. The Bama game would have went right down to the wire if he didn't get hurt.

Couple things working against him though, he's an older college player and he had two 1st round (likely) receivers in Nabers and Thomas Jr.
He will be Steelers next mistake.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
caleb williams is as advertised - the stuff he can do creatively and with his arm talent is ridiculous - his footwork is a nightmare but consistently elevating the talent around him and the crazy stuff is crazy
yep and it's all on the tape. Of course the issue with Caleb is how much can he do within structure. He does a shit ton out of structure. Agree both have amazing arm talent. I haven't decided who I like better between the two yet, but I've watched a lot of tape between the top 5 guys.

Simba

Staff Member
caleb williams is as advertised - the stuff he can do creatively and with his arm talent is ridiculous - his footwork is a nightmare but consistently elevating the talent around him and the crazy stuff is crazy
My bigger question with Williams is the mindset. On field talent is there but a lot of selfish and childish behavior when things weren’t sunshine and rainbows.