• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2024 QB Thread

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
My bigger question with Williams is the mindset. On field talent is there but a lot of selfish and childish behavior when things weren’t sunshine and rainbows.
yep and that's going to come out in the interviews

rossihunter2

Staff Member
you're right this ND game is fairly eye-opening
not necessarily seeing anything on the sideline (coz i cant see any of that on the tape) but some of the decision making leaves you wanting

that being said, with his play on the field i didnt see any evidence of a guy who'd given up, was still playing hard, was significantly let down by teammates in that game also

Last edited:

Simba

Staff Member
you're right this ND game is fairly eye-opening
not necessarily seeing anything on the sideline (coz i cant see any of that on the tape) but some of the decision making leaves you wanting

that being said, with his play on the field i didnt see any evidence of a guy who'd given up, was still playing hard, was significantly let down by teammates in that game also
Even the best have bad games so hopefully that’s all it was for his sake. Just did not like the sideline activity in that game. Total team failure but he started crumbling individually too.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Even the best have bad games so hopefully that’s all it was for his sake. Just did not like the sideline activity in that game. Total team failure but he started crumbling individually too.

im sure that's a big deal but cant comment on that stuff because its not on the tape i saw

what i can say, is that in that first half he made poor decisions with the ball, poor reads, late reads, bailing from clean(ish) pockets and generally holding the ball too long - it was a really frustrating watch

bears fans get incredibly frustrated with justin fields for holding onto the ball too long and taking sacks, caleb williams holds onto the ball even longer... you may well find that the bears have drake maye higher on their board (regardless of what the rest of the nfl thinks) and part of it is that they dont want to go through that QB experience again

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
im sure that's a big deal but cant comment on that stuff because its not on the tape i saw

what i can say, is that in that first half he made poor decisions with the ball, poor reads, late reads, bailing from clean(ish) pockets and generally holding the ball too long - it was a really frustrating watch

bears fans get incredibly frustrated with justin fields for holding onto the ball too long and taking sacks, caleb williams holds onto the ball even longer... you may well find that the bears have drake maye higher on their board (regardless of what the rest of the nfl thinks) and part of it is that they dont want to go through that QB experience again
speaking of holding onto the ball long. That was Sam Howell this year as well. The majority of his sacks were attributed to him holding the ball too long. The OL got the blame but they were on him holding the ball longer than 2.5 seconds.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Check that ND game out if you get the chance. Threw 3 picks and seemingly did not know how to handle it. Sulking on the sideline, arguing with teammates. He gave up.
Was the Washington game his last game? If it wasn't, then I don't know why he was crying at the end of it.

Simba

Staff Member
Was the Washington game his last game? If it wasn't, then I don't know why he was crying at the end of it.
It was not. Framed it as him being an emotional guy and not being afraid to show that. I respect that of course, but obviously raises some questions.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
It was not. Framed it as him being an emotional guy and not being afraid to show that. I respect that of course, but obviously raises some questions.
Yeah like what was he crying for? I understand losing sucks, but it's not like that game determined whether they were gonna make the Top 4 or not. I believe they also lost too many conference games to be in contention for the Pac 12 Championship.

Simba

Staff Member
Yeah like what was he crying for? I understand losing sucks, but it's not like that game determined whether they were gonna make the Top 4 or not. I believe they also lost too many conference games to be in contention for the Pac 12 Championship.
Yeah it was an interesting one. Show your emotions and do you dude. But at the same time, he gonna go crying in his mom's arms after a midseason loss to the Jaguars?

Simba

Staff Member
Away from Caleb Williams, I'm very curious to see what happens with JJ McCarthy. They didn't ask him to do much (especially against better teams) but he did show some good qualities. He's turning 21 in just a few days so still a lot of projection there. I genuinely don't know what to think of him as an NFL prospect right now.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Away from Caleb Williams, I'm very curious to see what happens with JJ McCarthy. They didn't ask him to do much (especially against better teams) but he did show some good qualities. He's turning 21 in just a few days so still a lot of projection there. I genuinely don't know what to think of him as an NFL prospect right now.

from what ive seen of mccarthy so far i think i like him more than penix - not afraid to work over the middle of the defence

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
haven't seen much of him yet outside of some games, but plan on watching tape of him soon

rossihunter2

Staff Member

just watched a ton
they really didnt ask him to do much at all/they didnt want him to do much - he was pretty good on money downs but the number of times it was run-run-pass in that offence (or sometimes even run-run-run) was ridiculous, so rarely did they give him opportunities (maybe lack of trust) to air the ball out and almost nothing down the field at all

was even more pronounced against penn state and ohio state, jim harbaugh telling us what he really thinks about mccarthy with those game plans i think, no matter what he actually says publicly

i think there's gonna be a ton of stereotypical "white QB" phrases attached to his draft profile this draft season:
- sneaky athletic
- winner
- toughness and high effort

Simba

Staff Member
just watched a ton
they really didnt ask him to do much at all/they didnt want him to do much - he was pretty good on money downs but the number of times it was run-run-pass in that offence (or sometimes even run-run-run) was ridiculous, so rarely did they give him opportunities (maybe lack of trust) to air the ball out and almost nothing down the field at all

was even more pronounced against penn state and ohio state, jim harbaugh telling us what he really thinks about mccarthy with those game plans i think, no matter what he actually says publicly

i think there's gonna be a ton of stereotypical "white QB" phrases attached to his draft profile this draft season:
- sneaky athletic
- winner
I haven’t taken a dive into the tape, so all of this is eye test since I just ended up watching a good bit of Michigan this year…

He seems to be a guy with traits that you can develop. Absolutely a guy I’d take a swing on with a day 2/mid round pick but just have a feeling he’s going to get taken too high, the pressure will be on to see what they have in him, and he’ll crumble because he’s not ready. Ideally sits for 2 or 3 years in my eyes, but again, not a tape thought quite yet. Not necessarily in play style, but he reminds me of the Cardale Jones situation. You’ve seen some things that look good and you want to take a chance, but you really have no idea what you’re getting.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I haven’t taken a dive into the tape, so all of this is eye test since I just ended up watching a good bit of Michigan this year…

He seems to be a guy with traits that you can develop. Absolutely a guy I’d take a swing on with a day 2/mid round pick but just have a feeling he’s going to get taken too high, the pressure will be on to see what they have in him, and he’ll crumble because he’s not ready. Ideally sits for 2 or 3 years in my eyes, but again, not a tape thought quite yet. Not necessarily in play style, but he reminds me of the Cardale Jones situation. You’ve seen some things that look good and you want to take a chance, but you really have no idea what you’re getting.

i imagine someone will take him in R1
has some traits to work with and reasonable arm talent, but release is a little slingy and throws are all paced the same with not a ton of layering or touch

does have the benefit of working in a pro-style offence, but weve seen how much that did for QBs like Trey Lance and, how much does that really mean when most of your pro-style plays and reps are in the running game...

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
just watched a ton

- sneaky athletic
- winner
Didn't even pass against Penn St in the 2nd half so I cant blame Harbaugh for not throwing. I mean it was working. I'd be shocked if he's picked in the 1st rd at all compared to guys like Daniels, Penix and Nix. With Michigan what we should be looking at is the offensive line and the #1 defense

Simba

Staff Member
Can't believe I'm saying it, but JJ McCarthy was actually a fun watch and is my QB2. Understandably going to need to continue to develop but there's a lot there to like.

I don't love Drake Maye as much as some.

QB1 - Williams
QB2 - McCarthy
QB3 - Maye
QB4 - Daniels

The gap between 1 and 2 is significantly larger than it is between 2 and 4.