• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Lamar, The Defence and The Special Teams

Simba

Staff Member
Again, I don't expect that all those guys will be back, but you have to have someone to replace them and if you're investing that much into a singular player, you're looking at the Ojabo's and JAD's of the roster to take their place and that's not exactly an ideal situation, regardless of whether or not I think Madubuike is worth the contract in the first place.

I also am wary of void years due to how it's worked out for the Saints where they're slowly bleeding high end talent and in a perpetual state of mediocrity with no end in sight because they have to mortgage future cap to even get under year after year. I'm not even sure they could realistically blow it up and start over this year because their cap is so dire, but I digress.
Nearly all signed on the same premise though. Veterans who were on the market late into the process. We’ve learned many times over the years that free agency does not end after 1 week.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Restructuring Marlon and Andrews would free up quite a nice chunk of space and considering they are still young, it's a no brainer.

I don't think we will be in a hurry to cut Ricard, either. He might get extended, too.
yep, definitely will convert salary to signing bonus for Marlon and Andrews. They may even consider doing it with Williams.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Craziest thing is I didn't see rmc try to assert so dominance on this one lmao. We've got polar opposite opinions in the chat so we know he thinks someone is braindead lol

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Craziest thing is I didn't see rmc try to assert so dominance on this one lmao. We've got polar opposite opinions in the chat so we know he thinks someone is braindead lol

Sometimes the best thing to do with RMC is to just say, "you're right!!!" even when you know full well he isn't. Of course there are times where I do agree with him, in which case I say "wow RMC, I actually agree with you here"

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I felt I added a lot of context by using examples as to why PRWR shouldn’t be almost the sole determining factor, and you’re basically going “I don’t like it, doesn’t make PRWR look good, I will ignore.”

But that’s aight, that’s why I’m choosing to move on here, lots of brick walls arguing with eachother over this
I have never argued PRWR is the only thing that matters. I have brought up MANY factors that you never attempted to address.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Nearly all signed on the same premise though. Veterans who were on the market late into the process. We’ve learned many times over the years that free agency does not end after 1 week.
Absolutely. I don't disagree. Like I said, I just think we'll see more Maulet and Simpson level players and that isn't necessarily ideal.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I don't take him as an X and O's guy. He just approaches the logic problems. Like, he'll absolutely tell you how the Ravens can make room for Madubuike, but he won't analyze if Madubuike's tape is worth paying a premium for.

Simba

Staff Member
Absolutely. I don't disagree. Like I said, I just think we'll see more Maulet and Simpson level players and that isn't necessarily ideal.
Guys like Van Noy and Darby had about the same cap impact though. Guys like that are still gettable in a tight cap.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Guys like Van Noy and Darby had about the same cap impact though. Guys like that are still gettable in a tight cap.
Right- I'm simply saying that we got Darby and Van Noy for cheap, but also got Simpson and Ya Sin for cheap.

Ideally, every value signing turns out to be a Van Noy or Darby, but there's a chance they're a Simpson or a Ya Sin and I think it becomes worrisome when you start to get more of the latter starting because you had to bargain hunt.

Although, I suppose Ya Sin more falls into that bargain category due to void years. He'd normally be more expensive, but that's a different discussion than the point I'm trying to make.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Right- I'm simply saying that we got Darby and Van Noy for cheap, but also got Simpson and Ya Sin for cheap.

Ideally, every value signing turns out to be a Van Noy or Darby, but there's a chance they're a Simpson or a Ya Sin and I think it becomes worrisome when you start to get more of the latter starting because you had to bargain hunt.

Although, I suppose Ya Sin more falls into that bargain category due to void years. He'd normally be more expensive, but that's a different discussion than the point I'm trying to make.
you keep saying simpson?
what's wrong with simpson?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think he's played average to slightly below average. I don't think he's AQ Shipley bad, but I think he's helped massively by being next to Linderbaum.

I think it'd be a bigger issue if it were multiple John Simpsons rather than just one.
his season was going ok up until the last 3 or 4 weeks when he fell off a cliff. He could be the weak link this week with Chris Jones looming

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
his season was going ok up until the last 3 or 4 weeks when he fell off a cliff. He could be the weak link this week with Chris Jones looming
Yeah, I generally think of him as being someone who will fare fine against worse defensive tackles, but struggle against better ones. I think the other players on the line are generally a little more consistent across the board in their performances, but Simpson seems to have more defined peaks and troughs.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
The good thing is that the Chiefs don't really have a star pass rusher other than Chris Jones if I'm correct. And then next round, the Lions and 49ers both have DEs who can pass rush but not necessarily interior pass rushers.