• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2024 Offseason Thread

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
I mean I think the gap between Moses and Mekari is very small. Miss very little if Moses misses time and Mekari fills in.

I think Mekari is getting extended to reduce his cap #, considering he's 5 years younger and can play five positions on the Oline. He was the reserve Center all last year basically, since they never had a reserve Center on the active 53 man.

There's also no certainty that a) there's going to be a draft pick and b) that draft pick will be the Swing at LT in year 1. Most likely, Mekari will remain the swing at LT, and it'll be Faalele and a draft pick competing at RT.
I think PFF and Ken McKusick both had Moses graded quite a lot better than Mekari, which matches my eye test. With change at both Guard spots, I'm not sure it's smart to plan for a downgrade at RT too.

There's no certainty, which is why I said if they draft a LT then Mekari might be at risk (I think they really want to draft one). There's no way they'd cut Mekari without a back up LT they like in place.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think PFF and Ken McKusick both had Moses graded quite a lot better than Mekari, which matches my eye test. With change at both Guard spots, I'm not sure it's smart to plan for a downgrade at RT too.

There's no certainty, which is why I said if they draft a LT then Mekari might be at risk (I think they really want to draft one). There's no way they'd cut Mekari without a back up LT they like in place.
Well, holistically, the two main issues would be:
a) you wouldn't be cutting Mekari until post-June 1 if you draft a LT, in which case I'd argue Stanley is in higher danger than Mekari of being cut. I'd also think that if you took a Tackle in Round 1, Moses would be just as likely to be cut after the draft as Mekari or Stanley. Mekari is younger, would be cheaper, and offer more roster flexibility. Basically Moses looks like the least valuable of those three Tackles currently, given that Stanley's contract makes it hard to cut until after the draft, and Mekari is more versatile, cheaper and younger.
b) I think franchise tagging Madubuike becomes significantly harder if you don't cut somebody like Moses. I think you're going to have to do a shit load of contract restructures to make that happen. I think there's the ability to create $20-25M in cap space via those restructures, but several of them involve restructuring guys who are coming off less-than-stellar years. Namely, Marlon and Williams.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
It's definitely a problem that so many of our bigger contracts are coming off bad or injured years.

Moses and Mekari's cap hits are very similar and their cap savings are only $1M apart, if cut. I think that's close enough to base the decision their performances rather than finance.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
It's definitely a problem that so many of our bigger contracts are coming off bad or injured years.

Moses and Mekari's cap hits are very similar and their cap savings are only $1M apart, if cut. I think that's close enough to base the decision their performances rather than finance.
Are you basing it off past performances or basing it off of what you expect them to bring to the table next year and in future years? Because, again, age, cost, and versatility have to be a part of the discussion.

Mekari's cap hit can be lowered via an extension, since he's a player you'd likely want to keep around beyond just '24. I don't really see much upside or paths to Moses getting an extension, unless its a one year extension with the intention of cutting him next year.

I think Moses is also the type of tackle they're looking to move away from going forward, as opposed to towards them.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Chiefs released MVS to save $12M... would he be a good WR for us? If anything, he showed he can ball out in the playoffs something we need badly.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Chiefs released MVS to save $12M... would he be a good WR for us? If anything, he showed he can ball out in the playoffs something we need badly.
I mean I think "ball out" is aggressive. He's a JAG.

He averaged 33 yards/game in the playoffs. Good for about two catches per game. Basically the same as what the likes of Bateman/Agholor did in the playoffs.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
I mean I think "ball out" is aggressive. He's a JAG.

He averaged 33 yards/game in the playoffs. Good for about two catches per game. Basically the same as what the likes of Bateman/Agholor did in the playoffs.
I don’t want him at all, he’s lucky he caught that pass falling down like a punt against us. Piece of shit just had to catch it

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
He's fast and drops a lot of passes, like the kind of receiver we used to go for back when we were terrible at finding receivers.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Has KHam really turned into an untouchable 2 years in?

Jefferson the best WR in the league…

Not saying I’ll make the trade, but it’s not an auto no to me.

Besides how good I think Hamilton is we wouldn't really get to see the value of Jefferson. I don't know if I'm too high on him, but Kyle is like the defense's Lamar as far as how he can impact the run and pass.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
Has KHam really turned into an untouchable 2 years in?

Jefferson the best WR in the league…

Not saying I’ll make the trade, but it’s not an auto no to me.
They're both great. Kyle changes the way you can play defenses. Jefferson changes the way defenses have to play against you.
The big difference is that we won't need to pay Kyle $35M a year to keep him (even if he is going to shatter the Safety market).

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
They're both great. Kyle changes the way you can play defenses. Jefferson changes the way defenses have to play against you.
The big difference is that we won't need to pay Kyle $35M a year to keep him (even if he is going to shatter the Safety market).
You beat me to it. Just look at the finances. It's that damn easy.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Kyle is top 3 safety in the league like Lamar is top 3 QB. Jefferson is great . Was he hurt this year cause his stats are ok for last year

2023 SEASON STATS​

• REC
    Tied-42nd
  • YDS
    19th
  • TD
    Tied-35th
  • AVG

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Kyle is top 3 safety in the league like Lamar is top 3 QB. Jefferson is great . Was he hurt this year cause his stats are ok for last year

2023 SEASON STATS​

• REC
    Tied-42nd
  • YDS
    19th
  • TD
    Tied-35th
  • AVG

JJ missed time and Cousins was hurt.

Justin missed at least 7 games.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I do enjoy reading Vikings Reddit get disgusted watching Hamilton since they passed on him, they love him.
This isn't hindsight. That trade was terrible. They didn't get the right value, traded in division and got a much worse safety. So... thanks I guess

Special shout out to the Eagles as well

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I do enjoy reading Vikings Reddit get disgusted watching Hamilton since they passed on him, they love him.
One of my best friends is a Vikings fan and won’t stop complaining about it lol

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
This isn't hindsight. That trade was terrible. They didn't get the right value, traded in division and got a much worse safety. So... thanks I guess

Special shout out to the Eagles as well
smh on both the Vikings and the Eagles. Actually add in the Commanders who traded down.