• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2024 Offseason Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
But did we lose as many players and coaching staff back then? I personally don't recall that well. I thought the 2011 team for the most part was kept in tact.
Nah, we had an awful offseason full of injuries though, and an old team who was only getting older, and the mass exodus was after the Super Bowl, but the players we lost in 2013 were no-names who nobody expected to step up the way they did.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Yeah the window isn't closed but that was for damn sure going to be our easiest path.
I do think the team bled more talent this off-season than the 2012 team (by a big margin, too), BUT the Chiefs just won with arguably the weakest iteration of their team to won the Super Bowl under Mahomes (the Super Bowl against the Bucs was no doubt a worse team on the day due to all the OL injuries), so anything can happen if you simply make the playoffs.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I do think the team bled more talent this off-season than the 2012 team (by a big margin, too), BUT the Chiefs just won with arguably the weakest iteration of their team to won the Super Bowl under Mahomes (the Super Bowl against the Bucs was no doubt a worse team on the day due to all the OL injuries), so anything can happen if you simply make the playoffs.

outside of PQ, Zeitler and Moses the talent we lost is either replaceable or guys who we signed last year late in the offseason...

we drafted a potential replacement for PQ last year, and a potential replacement for Moses this year (obviously we're hoping these picks were hits but we've replaced them with talented options) - with Zeitler, you've just got to hope that Cleveland can do a good enough job

not saying we're gonna repeat the hit-rate post-draft with guys like clowney and darby necessarily this year, but worth noting that we got significant contributors from guys we signed late last year (and the last few years too)

and if the guard battle goes all astray, we can go after dalton risner or connor williams (once his ACL's fully recovered) and see if they want to come and compete for a starting job

JAAM

Hall of Famer

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
outside of PQ, Zeitler and Moses the talent we lost is either replaceable or guys who we signed last year late in the offseason...

we drafted a potential replacement for PQ last year, and a potential replacement for Moses this year (obviously we're hoping these picks were hits but we've replaced them with talented options) - with Zeitler, you've just got to hope that Cleveland can do a good enough job

not saying we're gonna repeat the hit-rate post-draft with guys like clowney and darby necessarily this year, but worth noting that we got significant contributors from guys we signed late last year (and the last few years too)

and if the guard battle goes all astray, we can go after dalton risner or connor williams (once his ACL's fully recovered) and see if they want to come and compete for a starting job
I don't really have qualms about losing Queen. Yes, it was a strong duo with Roquan and no, I don't expect that level of play from Simpson, but simply having Roquan is going to make it a strong duo no matter who is there.

I'm actually most concerned with how they'll replace Clowney and Stone on defense. I think the defense will largely be okay, but Clowney was the leading generator of pressure, second in sacks, and a strong run defender. I don't know if there's a Clowney pass rusher out there. And with Stone, it just enabled Kyle Hamilton to be the chess piece that he is because they could very comfortably run three safety sets. I don't know that their next Stone is on the roster.

Offensively, I'm most worried about the losses of Zeitler and Moses and concerned about the LG situation.

I'm hopeful for Rosengarten, but with rookies, you just never know. And then, they're slotting in two mostly unknown quantities at guard (I say mostly because Cleveland has gotten action at guard, albeit limited.)

I touched on pretty much everything I said and more in my longer post, but I think boiling down the significant losses to Moses, Zeitler, and Queen is selling the losses short. I think Stone (for how it allows the team to use Hamilton), Clowney (best OLB last year), MacDonald, and OBJ (he wasn't always healthy, but he added a strong veteran presence and allowed for the deepest rotation we've seen in Lamar's career) are all pretty big losses.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
It legit bothers me how bad they looked most of the year and how dominant we looked. The only thing that can remedy this is a title

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I don't really have qualms about losing Queen. Yes, it was a strong duo with Roquan and no, I don't expect that level of play from Simpson, but simply having Roquan is going to make it a strong duo no matter who is there.

I'm actually most concerned with how they'll replace Clowney and Stone on defense. I think the defense will largely be okay, but Clowney was the leading generator of pressure, second in sacks, and a strong run defender. I don't know if there's a Clowney pass rusher out there. And with Stone, it just enabled Kyle Hamilton to be the chess piece that he is because they could very comfortably run three safety sets. I don't know that their next Stone is on the roster.

Offensively, I'm most worried about the losses of Zeitler and Moses and concerned about the LG situation.

I'm hopeful for Rosengarten, but with rookies, you just never know. And then, they're slotting in two mostly unknown quantities at guard (I say mostly because Cleveland has gotten action at guard, albeit limited.)

I touched on pretty much everything I said and more in my longer post, but I think boiling down the significant losses to Moses, Zeitler, and Queen is selling the losses short. I think Stone (for how it allows the team to use Hamilton), Clowney (best OLB last year), MacDonald, and OBJ (he wasn't always healthy, but he added a strong veteran presence and allowed for the deepest rotation we've seen in Lamar's career) are all pretty big losses.
Agreed

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
It legit bothers me how bad they looked most of the year and how dominant we looked. The only thing that can remedy this is a title
11 years after our first Super Bowl, we lost in the AFC Championship game. The next year we won the Super Bowl. 11 years later we lose in the AFC Championship game again. As they say, history repeats itself...

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i think stone's loss is somewhat overrated - he's a good player but not irreplaceable at all... i think wiggins, maulet, washington can, in combination, create some of that versatility that allows hamilton to be used most effectively

clowney is most certainly a loss - you have to hope that ojabo can finally play, that robinson takes a leap in year 2, that isaac adds something

macdonald i agree is the biggest loss

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
So we lost Chuck Pagano in 2011, of whom most thought the world was over when that happened just like when we lost Macdonald this year.

As for the WR corps, if Tez can be Torrey Smith for us honestly that’s pretty good. That’s all we really need because if he can prove to stretch the defense and relieve pressure up front then it helps Lamar & Henry and then you can let Flowers & Andrews eat up YAC through the middle of the field and even intermediate boundary.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
I don't think the team is going to be in a hurry to sign a veteran wide receiver right now which they technically already did with re-signing Nelson Agholar and signing Deonte Harty before seeing how things shake out in training camp. I think they mean it when they think Bateman is prime for a big year. I also don't think a guy like Tyler Boyd is on their radar if they do want to sign a veteran. It would probably be a legit outside receiver like DJ Chalk, Corey Davis, and etc.

Last edited:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I don't think the team is going to be in a hurry to sign a veteran wide receiver right now which they technically already did with re-signing Nelson Agholar and signing Deonte Harty before seeing how things shake out in training camp. I think they mean it when they think Bateman is prime for a big year. I also don't think a guy like Tyler Boyd is on their radar if they do want to sign a veteran. It would probably be a legit outside receiver like DJ Chalk, Corey Davis, and etc.
Bateman has always had the skills, he just wasn’t able to stay on the field and put it all together, but we’ve seen Bateman play really good football for long stretches, the targets just hadn’t been there. The targets will be there this year and there’s no reason to think a healthy Bateman can’t be a 800yd receiver at least