• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2024 NFL Draft Gameday Thread

What position will the first pick be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Still not over the loss, our team was so good, I obviously care who we draft, etc, etc. but idc, im not watching to hear Kiper pontificate all night. Glad nba playoffs are on. I’m gonna have to endure circle jerks over whoever Cinci drafts no matter who it is, blah blah

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
so you mean to tell me that its taking steve smith to finally convince teams that they are over drafting guys based on combine and not field tape..

Simba

Staff Member
I guess we have a different opinion on JPJ. I see him as a plug and play at LG/C. I think he would be BPA tbh.
I was high on him originally until I did a rewatch and just came away more underwhelmed. I'll admit I bit into the Senior Bowl hype. I don't rank guys individually 1-whatever, but if I did, he'd probably be late 40s/early 50s based on my grading buckets.

Simba

Staff Member
I know there's a lot of talk about who makes it to 30 and if there's no one good, we might look to move back. Put me in the camp that wouldn't be surprised if we move up. If certain OL options make it into the low 20s, I could absolutely see a scenario where we go get the guy we want this year, especially knowing how quickly the draft thins out.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I know there's a lot of talk about who makes it to 30 and if there's no one good, we might look to move back. Put me in the camp that wouldn't be surprised if we move up. If certain OL options make it into the low 20s, I could absolutely see a scenario where we go get the guy we want this year, especially knowing how quickly the draft thins out.

maybe - it just feels like we're not the type of team to do that

but... reportedly a ton of teams have been looking to move up (specifically) for OTs

if Fautanu was falling (or maybe Mims) I think maybe I could see it... not sure if we do it for anyone else/not sure anyone else falls far enough to justify us trading up for them

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I could absolutely see us moving up this year

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
I don't see it. Have a hard time believing that he'd be close to BPA.
I'm not sure we have the luxury of going full BPA this year after letting 2 affordable OL starters walk and adjusting Stanley to a one year deal.

I think another position player would have to be a full tier above an OL for them be a better pick, such is the corner they've backed themselves into.
If there's someone with a genuine 1st round grade there, OK, pick him, but if they've just got a better R2 grade, take the Tackle/Guard please.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm not sure we have the luxury of going full BPA this year after letting 2 affordable OL starters walk and adjusting Stanley to a one year deal.

I think another position player would have to be a full tier above an OL for them be a better pick, such is the corner they've backed themselves into.
If there's someone with a genuine 1st round grade there, OK, pick him, but if they've just got a better R2 grade, take the Tackle/Guard please.
Nah, we didn't back ourselves into anything. If we take OL with our 1st, it's because we loved the guy not because we had to do it. We can and have in the past replaced guys when they left the team and a hole appeared.

Simba

Staff Member

Could not disagree more. Think you have to take OL early but it’s not a round 1 necessity if it’s not BPA.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
Could not disagree more. Think you have to take OL early but it’s not a round 1 necessity if it’s not BPA.
Who said it was?

How often do the Ravens really go pure BPA? When a real talent we weren't expecting to be available drops, like Hamilton, we do, of course but otherwise, our first pick matches up with our biggest need more drafts than not.

DeCosta talks about how need and positional value factor into the Ravens board. I think going pure BPA is something only teams with great or terrible rosters can go into the draft planning to do.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
Nah, we didn't back ourselves into anything. If we take OL with our 1st, it's because we loved the guy not because we had to do it. We can and have in the past replaced guys when they left the team and a hole appeared.

Teams will tell you they loved the players they got, because what else are they going to do, but they're not always as happy with the way the draft worked out as they claim.

The Ravens have often solved the problem positions that fans worried about in the off season, but not always. When they have successfully fixed these issues, early draft picks have often been part of the solution.

The O Line is looking shaky, by design, admittedly, but still weak as things stand. They don't have to take OL in the first, but if they don't, the pressure increases in the 2nd, even more in the 3rd etc. That will definitely be a huge factor in how they pick tomorrow and Friday.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
DJ’s final mock.

I’ll be thrilled with Wiggins.

IMG_3683.jpeg