• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2019 EDGE Thread

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Just watched Justin Hollins for the first time, wow is this dude being slept on. He teleports outta his first step, goddamn he’s so explosive, and he’s agile and he’s twitchy and tricky, he’s got a good bit of bend as well, and very long.

He’s a lot more effective with his feet than his hands, but every now and then he’ll surprise with the hands and pull off a nice little precision punch to the chest with some shock to it. But his feet and explosion is where he wins, he flies off consistently, he stutters, has an extra gear, has an inside counter, has a bend, he finishes well, he adapts well to a lost rush by backing off and getting into space, he doesn’t lack discipline in the run game but he is too explosive off the jump sometimes and runs himself out of the play.

His rush reminds me somewhat of... and so far this doesn’t look good but I stand by my claim that he had excellent college tape... tyus bowser. Exceptional athlete as a rusher, but needs a lot of work on the hands
Oh my Gosh. I had Tyus as a comp also. Not as good in coverage clearly but athletic....way better in run defense. great instincts too...really superior sniffer out of screens....reads play formations well. I think he has a pretty advanced football IQ. I think he's a better edge rusher than Tyus out of school... a better football player. Great upside with room to fill out his frame. pretty sure he has length over Tyus

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Oh my Gosh. I had Tyus as a comp also. Not as good in coverage clearly but athletic....way better in run defense. great instincts too...really superior sniffer out of screens....reads play formations well. I think he has a pretty advanced football IQ. I think he's a better edge rusher than Tyus out of school... a better football player. Great upside with room to fill out his frame. pretty sure he has length over Tyus
He might have length over tyus but tyus has freakishly long arms so idk.

He’s got the athleticism to cover for sure, but he seems to be just a split second late on a lot of his zone drops where bowser was cutting off throwing lanes well before a break could be made. Hollins looks like the far superior rusher imo but the comp was how they win the rush, the explosion, the extra gear around the bend, and being really nimble and light on their feet.

This guy went from off my radar to one of my favorite day 2/3 prospects in only 2 games of film

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I like LJ way more than Ferguson. I like him every bit as much as Clellin Ferrell....more. If Collier becomes more adept at using that tremendous length to his advantage; specifically in getting into guys first and in disengaging, he will really be something great. He is already a day one starter opposite Judon regardless.
Im pretty surprised if he makes it past the first forty selections.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I like LJ way more than Ferguson. I like him every bit as much as Clellin Ferrell....more. If Collier becomes more adept at using that tremendous length to his advantage; specifically in getting into guys first and in disengaging, he will really be something great. He is already a day one starter opposite Judon regardless.
Im pretty surprised if he makes it past the first forty selections.
I don't like Ferguson as an edge rusher. Pad level too high and way too many purposeless bull rushes. I see him as an interior rusher. He could use his bull rushes to collapse the pocket and wouldn't be a liability against the run.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Jaylon Ferguson LSU game tape is impressive
Just watched it and I don’t see it... even on his quality rushes he looks stiff, his bend always seems to result in stumbles, he has a great bull rush, but his bend looks so consistently poor to me that I just can’t get on board

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Just watched it and I don’t see it... even on his quality rushes he looks stiff, his bend always seems to result in stumbles, he has a great bull rush, but his bend looks so consistently poor to me that I just can’t get on board
I don't know. I'm going to watch more but right now in my gut, I'm feeling that I judged him too rashly and without really watching enough tape. I'm really starting to like him a lot.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I don't know. I'm going to watch more but right now in my gut, I'm feeling that I judged him too rashly and without really watching enough tape. I'm really starting to like him a lot.
I did the opposite, I liked the first step, power, and motor, but the more I watched the more I noticed how stiff he was and how inconsistent he was, a lot of his bulrushes result in nothing at all, and he really has one disengage which is basically just a 2hand downward rip and on tape it looks like not much more than a strange benchpress, and if he can’t get off with that move then he’s just locked on.

He needs a lot of work imo and I think he lacks some natural tools needed from a quality edge rusher

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Can anyone sell me on Clelin Ferrell. I'm not sure I understand the fuss.
I never understood either, he was hyped as a top 10 pick for a very long time and I thought that was outrageous as hell. I always saw him as a 20 or later guy at the absolute best and not sure he was a guy I’d lean my teams pass rush on

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I never understood either, he was hyped as a top 10 pick for a very long time and I thought that was outrageous as hell. I always saw him as a 20 or later guy at the absolute best and not sure he was a guy I’d lean my teams pass rush on
I'm thinking we are very inclined toward a guy that can play end/rush backer in the mold of Suggs.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I'm thinking we are very inclined toward a guy that can play end/rush backer in the mold of Suggs.
Suggs was a lot more flexible than Ferrell though, I like Ferrell’s physical makeup a lot and his length and strength and first step is all really nice but he’s tall as fuck and his bend is only average, he has a lot of rushes where you just know a sack is coming but then he starts lumbering and laboring to flatten that edge and doesn’t finish. He seems like a guy who’s gonna flush the qb a LOT but struggle to get a lot of sacks.

Dare I say... a bit like zadarius Smith, except bringing more burst off the edge

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Suggs was a lot more flexible than Ferrell though, I like Ferrell’s physical makeup a lot and his length and strength and first step is all really nice but he’s tall as fuck and his bend is only average, he has a lot of rushes where you just know a sack is coming but then he starts lumbering and laboring to flatten that edge and doesn’t finish. He seems like a guy who’s gonna flush the qb a LOT but struggle to get a lot of sacks.

Dare I say... a bit like zadarius Smith, except bringing more burst off the edge
Yes I agree. I'd guess there is an interest in that type. Maybe in the form of Ferrel...Collier...Jackson

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
im coming around hard on jaylon ferguson - really starting to like him
Why? He's not an edge rusher in my eyes ideally he's a guy you kick inside to rush on 3rd down and passing downs and he's not a liability against the run

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Why? He's not an edge rusher in my eyes ideally he's a guy you kick inside to rush on 3rd down and passing downs and he's not a liability against the run

i like him off the edge a lot - has the lean and bend of an edge rusher and already some decent hand usage and various counters
i mean i can see him rushing from the inside too but that's for a team to make the decision on him (he has that potential versatility) but honestly i prefer him off the edge

wish he didnt take plays off though, also wish he didnt keep adding weight and his senior bowl performance was really disappointing

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

and you saw him flush the QB out of the pocket often without coming up with the sack. I agree, but don't mind him as a player. That being said, he's not one of my favorites.