• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2019 EDGE Thread

@Edgar you're very welcome. It does take a while to put everything together so I have to take advantage of few vacation days such as these to finish it.

Yeah it's not even a 1 or 2 games thing, where a team planned it perfectly and took advantage of his weaknesses. He's just consistently inconsistent. He does have a few glimps as a pass rusher and a very few times he does use his hands well but it's too few and I'm not sure it's something you can correct with practice.

On the other hand there's players like Taco Charlton, who were all around solid edge prospects but haven't yet made the jump.
Hard to tell which is the worse between the 2 stereotypical EDs

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I've watched some film on Polite also, but not as much as you and I agree. Yes he has his strengths, good get off and a nice burst, but he will need to come up with more moves to counter in the NFL. agree with @Edgar that Tim Williams was a much better pass rusher coming out.

tbf tim williams wasnt a 3rd round prospect because of his pass rushing... or even run defence tbh

Charm City

Pro Bowler
What do you guys think of Porter Gustin out of USC. Ran a 4.69 and put up 31 reps in the bench press. From what I read he has a great work ethic, great motor, and good run defense (AKA Ravens prototype Edge). The only knock on him is his pass rushing, but we should be using Williams and judon in those situations anyway.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
What do you guys think of Porter Gustin out of USC. Ran a 4.69 and put up 31 reps in the bench press. From what I read he has a great work ethic, great motor, and good run defense (AKA Ravens prototype Edge). The only knock on him is his pass rushing, but we should be using Williams and judon in those situations anyway.
I’m a fan. Dare I’d say he’s my guy. Oh well time for the Broncos to draft him then. Only knock on him is injuries. Lots of pass rushing moves and a solid athlete.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I haven’t watched him in quite some time but I remember thinking he was a really solid looking player, a guy I’d take probably in round 4 and you just know you have a physical tone setter on the edge. He’s a player that I just know would find a niche in Baltimore, the classic Jarrett Johnson Courtney upshaw type

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
What are your guys take on Brian burns?
Pretty explosive and can bend

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
What are your guys take on Brian burns?
Pretty explosive and can bend

I like him a lot. He's one of my favorites to draft at 22.
He can rush from both from the right and left edge. Various pass rush moves, He does not guess, great body control.

The only weakness is his weight/body strength, but he's already gained a significant amount of weight since the offseason began.

I wouldn't even be surprised to see him being the 2nd or 3rd highest ranked edge come draft night.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
He can rush from both from the right and left edge. Various pass rush moves, He does not guess, great body control.

The only weakness is his weight/body strength, but he's already gained a significant amount of weight since the offseason began.

I wouldn't even be surprised to see him being the 2nd or 3rd highest ranked edge come draft night.
I like him, just don't think he will make it to 22

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
This could get interesting

MONTEZ SWEATDL, MISSISSIPPI STATE BULLDOGS

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports that medical exams at the NFL Scouting Combine revealed that Mississippi State EDGE Montez Sweat has a pre-existing heart condition.
Doctors didn't prevent Sweat from competing in athletic testing and drills after learning of the heart condition and Sweat's agent said that "this is not news," so it doesn't appear to be a major concern over his future. However, NFL teams will need to receive clearance from their own medical staffs before using a first-round pick on him. At the NFL Scouting Combine, Sweat broke the record for the fastest 40-yard dash among defensive lineman. If this "low-risk" heart condition doesn't affect his draft status, Sweat will be taken inside the top 10.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This could get interesting

MONTEZ SWEATDL, MISSISSIPPI STATE BULLDOGS

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports that medical exams at the NFL Scouting Combine revealed that Mississippi State EDGE Montez Sweat has a pre-existing heart condition.
Doctors didn't prevent Sweat from competing in athletic testing and drills after learning of the heart condition and Sweat's agent said that "this is not news," so it doesn't appear to be a major concern over his future. However, NFL teams will need to receive clearance from their own medical staffs before using a first-round pick on him. At the NFL Scouting Combine, Sweat broke the record for the fastest 40-yard dash among defensive lineman. If this "low-risk" heart condition doesn't affect his draft status, Sweat will be taken inside the top 10.

i think the big thing here is that notoriously heart problems have stopped prospects from competing at the combine before so the fact that despite whatever this was being discovered the medical professionals at the combine were still happy for him to compete and perform at the combine

it's something to monitor but it would be irresponsible (and possible lawsuit worthy) if the combine medical examiners allowed him to do the testing and drills if there was even a remote possibility of an issue or a complication

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

He’s gonna go top 10 most likely.

And while there’s a lot to like he lacks a lot more than you stated, some of it pretty concerning. He should have much higher sack numbers because he misses so many opportunities, he lacks intuition and doesn’t seem to know how to consistently finish after disengaging

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ferguson Orlando-Browned his pro day. He's posted the worst 3 cone ever, even worse than O.Brown's.
Here is his attempt: video

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Wow - that’s even worse than DK’s was for a wr which is saying something

Ferguson might have had the worst offseason of anyone in college since the senior bowl
I've found yet another video of his pro day. This is one where he slipped. From 1st round buzz to the 5th or even 6th hurts.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I've found yet another video of his pro day. This is one where he slipped. From 1st round buzz to the 5th or even 6th hurts.

Yeah I think everyone just got to wrapped up in the production vs the traits - nothing leaps out to you on tape as an elite skill or trait that he can hang his hat on and while the smaller school isn’t necessarily a problem, the production does come into question when he doesn’t perform when the competition level improves e.g senior bowl etc.

Never looked like a 1st rounder to me and maybe not anyone tbh - not sure where I see him going but with measurables like that it does cast some doubts

I wonder why he kept slipping though...