• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2019 LB Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Specifically a thread for off-ball Linebackers from the 2019 draft class

preferably keep edge guys in the edge thread but obviously there will be potential for crossover (just as there might for a 4-3 defence and the DL and EDGE threads but I thought a catch-all front 7 thread might be a bit too convoluted)

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I love this video of Miami LB, Shaq Quarterman, talking about following in the footsteps of great defenders in Miami's past.

We might be losing Mosely if someone offers more money than us, Suggs could be retiring soon, and Weddle might be gone after this year. Shaq is the kind of guy that can come in to take the reigns of this defense as its leader.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I love this video of Miami LB, Shaq Quarterman, talking about following in the footsteps of great defenders in Miami's past.

We might be losing Mosely if someone offers more money than us, Suggs could be retiring soon, and Weddle might be gone after this year. Shaq is the kind of guy that can come in to take the reigns of this defense as its leader.

I reckon we'll franchise CJ.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
If we trade down we could replace CJ with another Alabama linebacker, Mack Wilson. Good in coverage and great football iq (he is a bama lb afterall).

Germaine Pratt in the third would be great value, even as a trade up in the third. A safety turned linebacker. Basically plays like a big, box safety. Great sideline to sideline speed, good instincts in coverage, and a decent run defender.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
If we trade down we could replace CJ with another Alabama linebacker, Mack Wilson. Good in coverage and great football iq (he is a bama lb afterall).
Germaine Pratt in the third would be great value, even as a trade up in the third. A safety turned linebacker. Basically plays like a big, box safety. Great sideline to sideline speed, good instincts in coverage, and a decent run defender.

Technically, we could do that even if we don't trade down.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Technically, we could do that even if we don't trade down.
True, but I think Wilson wouldn't be close to bpa at 22. Has a ton of potential but still kinda raw and inexperienced. Unlike CJ he wouldn't be able to be in charge of the defense right away.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
My big problem with Wilson isn't that he's raw.... He's inconsistent, which shows me that his issues are coachable. He's got the athleticism, and at times shows the football intelligence to be a top tier LB at the next level. But there are games where he can shed blocks, there are games where he doesn't. There are games where he is fantastic at putting the front seven into position. There are days where he isn't. There are days where he moves at 100 mph and is aggressive like he should be. There are days where he isn't. There are games where his tackling form is EXCELLENT. His issues are very akin to Devin White's, but I'd argue White's instincts are better, and even if Wilson is freakishly athletic, White is a generational athlete.

But the pros are too present to ignore. He's not just fast, he's explosive, and he's got a frame to put on another ten pounds of muscle and not lose much of his speed. When he's on his A-game, he's elite. He's violent, he's very smart, his instincts in coverage are great, he displays the potential to be a green dot guy one day.

Wilson is a low first to high second rounder on my board. He plays like a Raven and could be a high level contributor in his first year and a guy who could be an all pro one day. At worst, he's a solid starter in my eyes because I think he will be more consistent in the pros with good coaching

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I tend to take PFF with a grain of salt, especially with college players. That being said, I thought this was interesting

D1eV6vkW0AI9rCg.jpg:large

PFF Draft‏Verified account @PFF_College Mar 12
https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/7411/johnny-manziel

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I tend to take PFF with a grain of salt, especially with college players. That being said, I thought this was interesting

D1eV6vkW0AI9rCg.jpg:large

PFF Draft‏Verified account @PFF_College Mar 12

Sounds more like a safety than a damn linebacker. Would be nice to have on the field for 3rd down lol. I did watch Michigan play and he didn't stick out to me. I would have to see more of him tho give a true opinion tbh.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Sounds more like a safety than a damn linebacker. Would be nice to have on the field for 3rd down lol. I did watch Michigan play and he didn't stick out to me. I would have to see more of him tho give a true opinion tbh.

Yeah, he doesn’t blow it out the water for us to draft him 1st round. Not with bigger needs like iOL and WR

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I don't know if anyone has mentioned Blake Cashman, the ILB from Minnesota, but I've watched some film on him and he jumps off the page. Plays quick and fast. Disects plays quickly and flies to the ball. He's just a heady player and would be a great pick by the Ravens. I wouldn't be surprised if he is drafted ahead of Devin Bush.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't know if anyone has mentioned Blake Cashman, the ILB from Minnesota, but I've watched some film on him and he jumps off the page. Plays quick and fast. Disects plays quickly and flies to the ball. He's just a heady player and would be a great pick by the Ravens. I wouldn't be surprised if he is drafted ahead of Devin Bush.
I looked into him after doing some of the draft simulators. He looks like he'd be a good pick up and could possibly take snaps as the 2nd ilb right away. Seems like the classic case of a late round LB find for the Ravens. But likely won't go ahead of Devin Bush. Cashman will likely be around for our fifth round pick. Maybe even 6th round pick.

Here's Cashman vs Ohio State last year:

He seemed to do a good job of taking care of his responsibilities throughout that game.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I looked into him after doing some of the draft simulators. He looks like he'd be a good pick up and could possibly take snaps as the 2nd ilb right away. Seems like the classic case of a late round LB find for the Ravens. But likely won't go ahead of Devin Bush. Cashman will likely be around for our fifth round pick. Maybe even 6th round pick.

He seemed to do a good job of taking care of his responsibilities throughout that game.

I think he will be going much higher than that. He may end up being a 3rd round pick and that is after Bush, but I wouldn't be surprised if some teams like him as a high 2nd round pick.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

why do you see him going so late if you think he can step in and contribute immediately?

mc_red23

Pro Bowler

I watched a video on Youtube before where somebody had us drafting him at 22. Their comparison was Sean Lee.