• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Ravens QB Situation

First of all I would like to introduce myself as a new poster here. The post name reflects my life long love of the water and the outdoors. I have posted for a few years on 24x7 and before that the Sun forum. I will try to earn your respect by being civil and honest in my opinions. I will return my respect to you for the same reasons. So on to the thread topic:

So as to the QB situation we find ourselves in, I agree with Harbaugh that we may have the best QB tandem (including RG3) in the league. My question to y’all is how do you see this playing out? LJ has done a fantastic job over the past 3 games, playing within himself and not trying to do too much. He’s made some mistakes but has kept them to a minimum. Our running game has been on fire with the emergence of Edwards and Montgomery, along with LJ. Here’s how I see this thing playing out during this playoff run, and hopefully in the playoffs, assuming Joe is cleared to play this week or next:

I can see Harbaugh playing the shell game with his QB’s over the next couple of weeks, giving LJ the starts, IF we continue to play well. Giving Joe plenty of time to heal and rest for a potential playoff appearance. IMO, if we get to the playoffs I don’t see how Harbaugh does not start Joe, or a t least have LJ on the short leash. Given Joe and John’s history together, Joe’s outstanding win/loss record in the playoffs, and given LJ’s lack of experience in big games. What do y’all think?

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
This chiefs game could define our season we are a half game back in the division this game could do so much for us down the stretch so if Joe is cleared and doesn't play imo that means Lamar is who we are riding with

This chiefs game could define our season we are a half game back in the division this game could do so much for us down the stretch so if Joe is cleared and doesn't play imo that means Lamar is who we are riding with

I would agree that the KC game is big but it’s not the end all game. We can lose 1 game and still get there. So I think that if Joe is activated and doesn’t play in the KC game, and we lose it, then I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see Joe at least get some significant playing time. If we win it then I would agree that the chances of seeing joe start again is less. But if I’m Harbaugh the closer we get to the playoffs the more I have to be considering my SB MVP QB, and about what I should do. Glad I’m not Harbaugh. Lol

Tank

Hall of Famer
First of all I would like to introduce myself as a new poster here. The post name reflects my life long love of the water and the outdoors. I have posted for a few years on 24x7 and before that the Sun forum. I will try to earn your respect by being civil and honest in my opinions. I will return my respect to you for the same reasons. So on to the thread topic:

So as to the QB situation we find ourselves in, I agree with Harbaugh that we may have the best QB tandem (including RG3) in the league. My question to y’all is how do you see this playing out? LJ has done a fantastic job over the past 3 games, playing within himself and not trying to do too much. He’s made some mistakes but has kept them to a minimum. Our running game has been on fire with the emergence of Edwards and Montgomery, along with LJ. Here’s how I see this thing playing out during this playoff run, and hopefully in the playoffs, assuming Joe is cleared to play this week or next:

I can see Harbaugh playing the shell game with his QB’s over the next couple of weeks, giving LJ the starts, IF we continue to play well. Giving Joe plenty of time to heal and rest for a potential playoff appearance. IMO, if we get to the playoffs I don’t see how Harbaugh does not start Joe, or a t least have LJ on the short leash. Given Joe and John’s history together, Joe’s outstanding win/loss record in the playoffs, and given LJ’s lack of experience in big games. What do y’all think?
I’m definitely in the minority here but if we continue down a path to the tournament as the games get more critical and pressure filled Harbs will probably go with Flacco, assuming he is 100% healthy. This isn’t an indictment or a judgement of a level of talent rather it is a matter of experience which is invaluable in high pressure situations.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
First and foremost @SaltyDog welcome to the forum, hope you come to enjoy it here.

And in terms of how I see it playing out - if Lamar starts the rest of the season, plays well, and gets us to the playoffs, I see no justifiable way that Joe starts. Just because he’s been successful in the past in the playoffs does not mean we should yank Lamar out if he’s the one that got us there. Let’s not forget Joe left us in a 4-5 hole. I’m all for having Lamar start the rest of the way, but if Joe is going to start again I think it’d need to be before the playoffs, and if he were to play well, then fine, but sitting Joe until the playoffs just to start him if we get there doesn’t sound like a good idea to me.

I’m definitely in the minority here but if we continue down a path to the tournament as the games get more critical and pressure filled Harbs will probably go with Flacco, assuming he is 100% healthy. This isn’t an indictment or a judgement of a level of talent rather it is a matter of experience which is invaluable in high pressure situations.

Yeah I agree that Harbs has to be thinking about it. As I said we have a very good group of QB’s right now and Harbs would be a fool if he did not use them to the advantage of the team. I think if a situation arises where we get get behind in a game Joe is definitely the best option. If we keep the games close and the running game continues to click then maybe Lamar is the best option. The other thing, as you mentioned, is experience in big games. Joe has been there and done it quite well. Lamar needs to get that experience but at what cost is Harbaugh willing to risk it.

Last edited:
First and foremost @SaltyDog welcome to the forum, hope you come to enjoy it here.

And in terms of how I see it playing out - if Lamar starts the rest of the season, plays well, and gets us to the playoffs, I see no justifiable way that Joe starts. Just because he’s been successful in the past in the playoffs does not mean we should yank Lamar out if he’s the one that got us there. Let’s not forget Joe left us in a 4-5 hole. I’m all for having Lamar start the rest of the way, but if Joe is going to start again I think it’d need to be before the playoffs, and if he were to play well, then fine, but sitting Joe until the playoffs just to start him if we get there doesn’t sound like a good idea to me.

Thanks and I agree. If Lamar goes the rest of the way and we get to the playoffs I think Harbs would have to give him the start, but keep him on a short leash. If we get behind early maybe he plugs Joe in there.

because they cant operate the same offence - you're not just changing signal-caller mid-game, you're changing offensive scheme

That’s true but the players have practiced both systems this year and I don’t that it’s as difficult as it might seem. I would think that they have prepared for both given the situation.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
That’s true but the players have practiced both systems this year and I don’t that it’s as difficult as it might seem. I would think that they have prepared for both given the situation.

This could actually work to our advantage and to get the run game going under Joe we need more quick hits ( Edwards a major upgrade for that ) and misdirection. Those deep off tackle handoffs need to be way more limited. Some shotgun draws would be good too.

Tank

Hall of Famer
This could actually work to our advantage and to get the run game going under Joe we need more quick hits ( Edwards a major upgrade for that ) and misdirection. Those deep off tackle handoffs need to be way more limited. Some shotgun draws would be good too.
Agreed. Collins was just doing way too much dancing around to have any success and the slow developing run plays were killing them. Also key is up tempo, no huddle/sugar huddle play calling.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Because there is no tomorrow. If we get behind why would you not go to your most experienced, and best passing QB?
I don’t think you’ll find much optimism around here for any sort of tournament aspirations, seems many are ready to throw in the towel and specifically use the remainder of the season for LJ to gain experience for the future. Obviously the team can’t operate that way and will be fighting and planning for a SB win whether it seems improbable or not. What that looks like personnel wise remains to be seen, and as you mention Flacco presents an interesting and viable scenario, but only if he can get healthy.

Bye the way, I share you’re passion for the outdoors and love the water as well. Are you a boater?

I don’t think you’ll find much optimism around here for any sort of tournament aspirations, seems many are ready to throw in the towel and specifically use the remainder of the season for LJ to gain experience for the future. Obviously the team can’t operate that way and will be fighting and planning for a SB win whether it seems improbable or not. What that looks like personnel wise remains to be seen, and as you mention Flacco presents an interesting and viable scenario, but only if he can get healthy.

Bye the way, I share you’re passion for the outdoors and love the water as well. Are you a boater?

I am a boater. I used to have a 20 ft Grady-White boat and have fished all over the Chesapeake bay and Delaware bay. Sold that and just have 17 ft John boat for crabbing and some river fishing. Of course I don’t get out as much as I would like, or as I used to, but do still manage a few crabbing trips a year.

Yeah I really like our situation at QB right now. Harbaugh has allot of options at his disposal. We’ll see how he plays it going forward.

Tank

Hall of Famer
I am a boater. I used to have a 20 ft Grady-White boat and have fished all over the Chesapeake bay and Delaware bay. Sold that and just have 17 ft John boat for crabbing and some river fishing. Of course I don’t get out as much as I would like, or as I used to, but do still manage a few crabbing trips a year.

Yeah I really like our situation at QB right now. Harbaugh has allot of options at his disposal. We’ll see how he plays it going forward.
Nice! I used to have a 17’ Bonito that I fished and crabbed out of in the Patuxent. I’ve had a 22’ Wellcraft for a while now we’ve used mostly for skiing, wake boarding and pleasure cruising. Thinking of selling that this year and getting back to something like you have, maybe a Carolina Skiff.

Yeah, the options could be there, IF Joe gets healthy. The length of time he has been down is worrisome.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Welcome to the boards!

In regards to your question, I think Lamar should be the starter for the rest of the year and going forward. The team is clearly playing better with him at the helm and I don't think they should mess with it right now. Also, if he starts to play poorly and we start losing again then it will still give him valuable experience that he can use to improve his game for next season. I understand that we could fall out of the playoff race again, but the playoffs are an added bonus this year if we can sneak in there IMO.

IF we make the playoffs then Lamar should still be the starter, however, if we fall behind by 2-3 scores in a playoff game then it would not surprise me to see Joe come in the game to try and make another miracle happen. I don't necessarily agree with pulling Lamar, if that were to happen, but I could definitely see that move happening.

Welcome to the boards!

In regards to your question, I think Lamar should be the starter for the rest of the year and going forward. The team is clearly playing better with him at the helm and I don't think they should mess with it right now. Also, if he starts to play poorly and we start losing again then it will still give him valuable experience that he can use to improve his game for next season. I understand that we could fall out of the playoff race again, but the playoffs are an added bonus this year if we can sneak in there IMO.

IF we make the playoffs then Lamar should still be the starter, however, if we fall behind by 2-3 scores in a playoff game then it would not surprise me to see Joe come in the game to try and make another miracle happen. I don't necessarily agree with pulling Lamar, if that were to happen, but I could definitely see that move happening.

Thanks for the welcome.

I totally understand how you feel and I will be ok with whatever decision Harbaugh makes. Clearly Lamar is the future of this franchise and he needs all of the experiences he can get. Especially under the big lights.

Having said that, there is a part of me that feels like this QB situation is unique and we may never see this again, and I think there is opportunity to keep opponents off kilter by not knowing who they will face, and having to prepare for both styles of play. Of course this will only work for so long without actually playing Joe some at least. The other issue is whether Harbaugh believes that Lamar is his best option as things heat up and we get closer to the playoffs, and/or into the playoffs. If we win Sunday then the picture becomes more clear obviously.

So I’m just trying to put myself in Harbaugh’s shoes and if it were me I would at least have to be thinking about all the possibilities, and maybe even losing a wink or two of sleep at night. Lol