• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Ravens v. Refs

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I thought this deserved its own thread. This season I believe the refs have been seriously inconsistent with penalties with a bias against the Ravens. We have had some real ticky tacky BS penalties called at times that stalled drives, like the call on Crabtree this Sunday. Yes, we get lucky sometimes ourselves, but it seems like during the course of the game the Ravens always comes out on the short end of the stick with these BS penalties. It has cost us many games over the years. It is almost like the refs are playing favorites out there and we are not the favorites, especially when we play the Steelers. They always seem to get away with the holds. I don’t mean to whine, but over the years it really starts to wear on me and piss me off. It is hard enough to get a win in this league and we are always in close games, we don’t need inconsistently biased flags determining the outcome.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I thought this deserved its own thread. This season I believe the refs have been seriously inconsistent with penalties with a bias against the Ravens. We have had some real ticky tacky BS penalties called at times that stalled drives, like the call on Crabtree this Sunday. Yes, we get lucky sometimes ourselves, but it seems like during the course of the game the Ravens always comes out on the short end of the stick with these BS penalties. It has cost us many games over the years. It is almost like the refs are playing favorites out there and we are not the favorites, especially when we play the Steelers. They always seem to get away with the holds. I don’t mean to whine, but over the years it really starts to wear on me and piss me off. It is hard enough to get a win in this league and we are always in close games, we don’t need inconsistently biased flags determining the outcome.
Never saw it as bad as yesterday in some time. It did feel like we played referees and Chiefs. We should’ve won if not for the referees but Chiefs had many penalties before this game so I think the referees gave it all to the home team.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
it kills me that it hurt us yesterday but ill add this proviso

the level of officiating around the league has been atrocious and the NFL knows it - nothing exemplifies that more than them literally pulling the top officials for the Rams-Chiefs game as if it were the superbowl because they dont trust a regular crew in a high stakes game

there are around 120 officials in the NFL - it's crazy that there are only 24 full time referees - that's unacceptable - that's only just over 1 per game on a weekly basis

what's worse is that the officials are only on year-year contracts which means that they have no financial security and no incentive to develop their craft because they dont rely on the NFL for a living and therefore arent forced to be as committed to officiating as their livelihood

all officials should be on longer contracts but with financial incentives for better performance - and extra match fees on top - you reward better officiating while not making worse officiating even worse - you create an ability for worse officials to get better in a secure career

bit of a tangent but its crazy that the NFL has so few full-time officials given its one of the most lucrative sports in the world

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Maybe we could ask Jerry for some help in this department. While we seem to be on the wrong side of flags, the Cowboys are flourishing under the refs wings.

And yes. Officiating has been terrible this season.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
The refs make me want to jump in front of a bus. Until the NFL decides good officiating is a priority, it will never get any better.

upload_2018-12-12_17-6-17.jpeg

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
The refs definitely had their hands in our lost yesterday BUT you can't blame them for the defense giving up a 4th & 9 and 4th & 3 when the Ravens had the lead in that game. This defensive meltdown b.s. has to stop man! It has been the Ravens achilles heel for a few seasons now. Smh!

The refs definitely had their hands in our lost yesterday BUT you can't blame them for the defense giving up a 4th & 9 and 4th & 3 when the Ravens had the lead in that game. This defensive meltdown b.s. has to stop man! It has been the Ravens achilles heel for a few seasons now. Smh!

I had a Dean Pees flashback. Wink has done a great job with this defense, but I can see some of the same traits with this soft ass defense when the games are on the line. We had contained Mahomes better then most other teams have, the entire game. Then with the game on the line we go into the vaunted prevent bs, and promptly lose the game.

So you are correct, the refs didn’t help but coaching lost that game IMO.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Chiefs made a play. I'm going to give the opposition more credit here than shit on the defense. I still hold those bums accountable for the Steelers and Bengals losses years prior.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I had a Dean Pees flashback. Wink has done a great job with this defense, but I can see some of the same traits with this soft ass defense when the games are on the line. We had contained Mahomes better then most other teams have, the entire game. Then with the game on the line we go into the vaunted prevent bs, and promptly lose the game.

preventing a td with little time left on the clock you naturally defend the sidelines
and it's tough calling it prevent defence - we had them in 4th and 9 and were blitzing all the time... that's like the exact opposite of pees philosophy in those situations - they just happened to have a good route combination on that 4th and 9 to facilitate mahomes making an incredible play and the defence started to get tired

you can talk about the dna of not being able to close - but this absolutely is not the prevent bend-not-break defence

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

we were in cover 2

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Mahomes made a play that literally no other QB in the league could probably make right now. Yes, the defense failed yet again when it mattered most, but Mahomes most likely won himself the MVP trophy with that play.

PLUS, MAHOMES IS A GENERATIONAL TALENT AND WE HAD THE PRIVILEGE OF WATCHING HIM DESTROY OUR DEFENSE

flynismo

Practice Squad

It is so frustrating to watch them throw away so many otherwise great efforts in the final minutes of a game so often

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
It is so frustrating to watch them throw away so many otherwise great efforts in the final minutes of a game so often

Man, you ain't lying! And the sad thing is that unfortunately, it seems like that their blowing leads and giving up big 4th down plays is starting to become the norm.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

I agree!

preventing a td with little time left on the clock you naturally defend the sidelines
and it's tough calling it prevent defence - we had them in 4th and 9 and were blitzing all the time... that's like the exact opposite of pees philosophy in those situations - they just happened to have a good route combination on that 4th and 9 to facilitate mahomes making an incredible play and the defence started to get tired

you can talk about the dna of not being able to close - but this absolutely is not the prevent bend-not-break defence
we were in cover 2

I think if you go back and look at that play you’ll see where they showed cover 2 but dropped into zone when the ball was snapped. Mosley was the closest to Hill when he made the catch. Nevertheless Mahomes did make a great play and we did not, and it’s just one more instance where we can’t seem to close out big games.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think if you go back and look at that play you’ll see where they showed cover 2 but dropped into zone when the ball was snapped. Mosley was the closest to Hill when he made the catch. Nevertheless Mahomes did make a great play and we did not, and it’s just one more instance where we can’t seem to close out big games.

i point you to @29BmoreBird22 's brilliant series on coverages and particularly this article on cover 2:

https://purpleflock.com/threads/750/

but if you read you will see that cover 2 can be either a zone or man concept

also not sure what playing zone has to do with prevent defence...?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I’ve looked at the play in all-22. You may want to read the articles that bird wrote in the purple Flock news section. He has a series of excellent articles, one of which is cover 2.

@29BmoreBird22

i point you to @29BmoreBird22 's brilliant series on coverages and particularly this article on cover 2:

https://purpleflock.com/threads/750/

but if you read you will see that cover 2 can be either a zone or man concept

also not sure what playing zone has to do with prevent defence...?

That was a pretty cool read. Thanks for the reference.

It was definitely cover 2 on that play. I would say that KC exploited Mosley’s weakness. Lol