• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Week 17 Discussion(Reg Season Finale)

Who Wins the AFC South?

• Texans

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • Colts

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Titans

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JO_75

Hall of Famer
This Sunday, the 2018 NFL Regular Season concludes with playoff spots, division titles and BYE weeks to be earned. A crazy season may lead to a very crazy week 17 as teams who don't have a BYE, may very well get a BYE if things fall a certain way. A team like Pittsburgh who was thought to be a contender in the AFC, may not even make it despite beating the Patriots in the regular season. The defending Champions are on the verge of missing the playoffs but a Vikings loss may be the late Christmas present Philly needs. Let's dive in to the week shall we......

The Entrée: 1:00PM Games

Dolphins @ Bills: This is an end of an era as Kyle Williams will walk away from the NFL following Sunday's game against the Dolphins. While the Dolphins may be on the verge of a new era themselves as this could be Adam Gase's final game as Head Coach as Miami could be cleaning house with Stephen Ross wanting to make "sweeping changes" and Gase a likely OC candidate for a team in 2019.

Lions @ Packers: Not much on the line here but pride. The Packers have shown a bit more heart under Joe Philbin and look to close 2018 on a high note as they enter the offseason with two first round picks and some cap space to build the team in new GM's Brian Gutekunst's image. While Detroit hopes for a better sophomore year from Matt Patricia, and if not he may find himself back in New England sooner than he thought.

Jets @ Patriots: Sam Darnold got a Christmas gift in the form of an extension for WR Quincy Enunwa but this could be the end for Todd Bowles. Darnold has shown potential but the Jets' decision on their next Head Coach will decide how Darnold's tenure in New York plays out. How do you impress a new Head Coach? Cost the Patriots a BYE and upset them in their own stadium. The Patriots have fallen off a bit in the closing weeks, will they regroup and be ready to lock down a BYE?

Jaguars @ Texans: This is a tale of two teams who went in the opposite direction. The Jags were supposed to be Super Bowl contenders, then they won against the Patriots and fell apart. The Texans started 0-3 and looked to be doomed only to win 10 straight games and clinch a playoff spot. Now they have a division title to earn with a win, and with help from a Chiefs loss, Patriots loss, and Chargers loss can lock down Home Field Advantage through the AFC Playoffs. A stunning upset by the Jags will leave them as the 6th seed and giving the gift of the AFC South Title to be won by either the Colts or Titans.

Panthers @ Saints: For New Orleans, this game is nothing more than a way to show off Teddy Bridgewater to teams in need of a QB. Teddy Bridgewater will start on Sunday as the Saints look to give Brees some extended rest heading into the BYE. Meanwhile in Carolina, the Panthers have shutdown Cam Newton, Taylor Heinicke is now on IR leaving the Panthers to start undrafted rookie QB Kyle Allen out of Houston. Expect the Saints to win this easily as the future of Ron Rivera hangs in the balance.

Cowboys @ Giants: The Giants were so bad this year that Santa didn't give them a lump of coal in their stocking, he gave them another year of Eli Manning and a bad QB draft class to pick from. At this point, you have to wonder if Saquon was worth it to pass on Darnold, Allen, Rosen or Jackson. Dallas has found their way back to the postseason with the NFC East Crown in hand and a likely first round exit thanks to Russell Wilson and the Seahawks.

Falcons @ Buccaneers: Dirk Koetter's final home game as Head Coach is against the team he spent three years as their OC before being hired in Tampa. Both teams are looking for something positive in this game to build toward 2019 and hopefully some January Football in 2019.

The Main Course: 4:25PM Games & Sunday Night Football

Chargers @ Broncos: Another dead coach coaching his final game this Sunday is Vance Joseph, who almost was fired as John Elway wanted to follow the Raiders formula and bring back a former Head Coach to help them return to the glory days. Could Mike Shanahan be coaching the Broncos in 2019? Maybe, but the bigger question is who will win the AFC West Title and home field advantage. For the Chargers its simple, win and hope the Raiders pull off the upset over KC then the AFC West and number one seed is theirs for the taking. Lose and a potential rematch against a Ravens defense that just smothered your offense to pieces awaits.

Raiders @ Chiefs: The Raiders may not have a home to play their home games in 2019 yet but they can deliver a loss that can change the AFC playoff picture as we know it. Chiefs win, division and Home Field is theirs come January. The Raiders ruined their own tank bowl but with three first round picks at their disposal, they look to build the team for the future in whatever vision Jon Gruden has for them and sell PSLs in Las Vegas.

49ers @ Rams: In week 17 last year, the Rams were locked into the three seed no matter the outcome against the 49ers. This Sunday, the outcome will matter as if the 49ers win followed with a Bears win, the Rams will fall to that third seed for a second year in a row giving Chicago the two seed and the BYE. Todd Gurley will not play once again but CJ Anderson showed the Rams will be fine with or without Todd Gurley.

Bears @ Vikings: A team who has orange as one of their team's colors has a chance to upset a team who wears purple in their own stadium and knock them out of the playoffs. History could repeat as the Chicago Bears head into Minnesota with a chance to send the Vikings into hibernation for January. The Vikings have looked a bit differently since their offensive coordinator change(hmm... sounds familiar) and look to win and get in before a potential rematch one week later against the same Bears team.

Eagles @ Redskins: Ol' St. Nick is up to his bag of tricks again this year, the Super Bowl MVP has the Eagles ready to take the NFC by storm once again but only if the Bears do their part. So in the event the Vikings win, the Eagles would join the 2016 Broncos and 2013 Ravens as Champions who did not make the playoffs the following season. In Washington, there are rumblings of changes and Jay Gruden being fired but to be fired after a 6-2 start that only fell apart after Alex Smith got hurt? It is Dan Snyder after all and maybe Jay will land on his feet somewhere else and be a HC for a team who realizes he isn't that bad after all.

Bengals @ Steelers: It's simple for the Steelers, beat a Bengals team ready to turn the team over to a coach who only won 3 games his entire tenure followed by a Cleveland team who has looked much better after firing said coach and your AFC North Champs. A loss to the Dalton/Green less Bengals could very well be the last of Mike Tomlin in Pittsburgh. Outside of that, their only hopes is if Colts-Titans ends up in a tie.

Cardinals @ Seahawks: The Seattle Seahawks will gift their division rival the number one pick in 2019 and be the sole winner of the Nick Bosa Sweepstakes. As Arizona looks to be one and done with Steve Wilks, much like the Jets their next Head Coach has to be offensive minded to get the most out of Josh Rosen going forward. Seattle has a trip to Dallas waiting for them next week and a chance to upset the entire NFC.

Colts @ Titans: The Colts and Titans have found success with their first year Head Coaches and look to put an exclamation point on their season with this game. To make things better, this very well could turn into a game with Division Title implications if Houston loses. If Houston loses, they fall to the sixth seed while the winner of this game will be the 4 seed and the AFC South Champions. If Houston wins, then this will be for the final spot in the AFC and a game with the three seed next weekend. Who will leave Nashville feeling the January Blues?

Man so much to watch but it will be hard to enjoy until we have our game won. I’m going to naturally root for the Jets and Jags but it will be hard without yet knowing our fate. If those games go our way all it does is make the stakes higher. I do wish we had beaten KC then we’d only be playing for position and it would be so much easier watching these other games.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The Texans are so banged up - I just have this feeling that the Jags will want to put one over the Texans at the end

Bortles is fighting for a job anywhere in the league and does have the occasional monster game
That defence has only got to contend with Hopkins because of the Texans injuries and Lamar miller who’s only just back off an injury
I smell an upset here

JO_75

Hall of Famer
The Bears get a big OL boost heading into tomorrow and the postseason as Guard Kyle Long has been activated off IR and will be available going forward.

In other NFC news, a Rams fan got the infamous "2019 Super Bowl Champions" Tattoo. Sorry Rams.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The Bears get a big OL boost heading into tomorrow and the postseason as Guard Kyle Long has been activated off IR and will be available going forward.

In other NFC news, a Rams fan got the infamous "2019 Super Bowl Champions" Tattoo. Sorry Rams.
Wonder what that Jets fan is doing with the Rosen tattoo

JO_75

Hall of Famer
The Texans are so banged up - I just have this feeling that the Jags will want to put one over the Texans at the end

Bortles is fighting for a job anywhere in the league and does have the occasional monster game
That defence has only got to contend with Hopkins because of the Texans injuries and Lamar miller who’s only just back off an injury
I smell an upset here

I really like our chances of getting the 3 seed, I'm leaning toward the Colts/Titans ending up being for the AFC South Crown. Then we end up destroying the Texans season in the wild card round lol.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
If we don't make the playoffs, then my rooting interests are:
AFC - #BoltUp
NFC - #HornsUp and #SKOL (if they get in). I wouldn't mind seeing the Saints winning it all either.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Part of me wants the Texans to win just because both times we won the SB it was as the 4th seed.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Looks like AB will miss Sunday's game against the Bengals. He did not practice again on Saturday as his knee has yet to recover from last week's game against the Saints.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports there is "not a lot of optimism" Antonio Brown (knee) will play Week 17 against the Bengals.

According to Schefter, Brown's knee has not recovered from last week's game on turf. The receiver did not practice Saturday, and it looks like it will take a dramatic turn for him to be available against the Bengals.

Pats

Veteran
My playoffs prediction for now is 4th seed ravens @ 2nd seed patriots for afc title game. Not that either of our teams are that great but the AFC itself is meh imo and you guys match up against KC and LA well and us against probably houston/ten/Indy well. For NFC i'll stick to my guns with saints vs da bearz

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
My playoffs prediction for now is 4th seed ravens @ 2nd seed patriots for afc title game. Not that either of our teams are that great but the AFC itself is meh imo and you guys match up against KC and LA well and us against probably houston/ten/Indy well. For NFC i'll stick to my guns with saints vs da bearz
I never predicted a super bowl, but I did predict the championship games. Said it would be saints / rams in nfc and pats / Chargers in the afc

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Good news for the Harbs & our team is over haters: Adam Schefter just said that if the Browns win today, at least one team plans to call the Ravens and propose a trade offer for John Harbaugh.
Edit: apparently the broncos are planning to trade for him

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Good news for the Harbs & our team is over haters: Adam Schefter just said that if the Browns win today, at least one team plans to call the Ravens and propose a trade offer for John Harbaugh.
If we trade him, it better be a good deal. I’m asking for atleast two 2nd round picks, courtland Sutton and Daeshawn Hamilton. Oh and they can throw in Kubiak for good measure, even though he doesn’t fit in a system that runs primarily shut gun. Also believe we need to stick with a power scheme...for the most part

However If the want him thst bad they will also have to throw in a first round pick for Flacco as part of the deal

Last edited:

JO_75

Hall of Famer

Elway can _____ off with a trade. This is the reason we are extending him because we knew he'd be in high demand. Harbs will be pur coach in 2019 and beyond..... deal with it Elway.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
The Titans will be suiting up without Mariota tonight and will have to win the Division/Final Playoff Spot with Blaine Gabbert.

The point will be moot.