• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2018 Secondary

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
nothing except we expect jefferson to be here for at least 2 more years

we're clearing cap for the season

My thing though is why. The Ravens cap situation is fine, they have enough to sign the draft picks and have a little left over just in case.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
My thing though is why. The Ravens cap situation is fine, they have enough to sign the draft picks and have a little left over just in case.
Either A: they want to make another signing soon

Or B: To have some flexibility for the inevitable moves we have to make after the season starts bc of injuries.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Might grab an o-lineman once the June cutes come in. That would be my best guess for clearing space.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Is Jimmy Smith coming back?
He is, but the consensus is we just can't rely on him. I truly believe he was the best corner in the league last year, but he will have little time to prepare for this season and may injure at any point once the season begins.
It's great to have him but you must build your secondary with the idea he won't be available a lot.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
He is, but the consensus is we just can't rely on him. I truly believe he was the best corner in the league last year, but he will have little time to prepare for this season and may injure at any point once the season begins.
It's great to have him but you must build your secondary with the idea he won't be available a lot.
He was def. a shutdown guy. Not only has he to recover from that injury there's also no guarantee that he'll play on the same level.
Achilles tendon, multiple high ankle sprains, lisfranc...
But I feel very comfortable with the CB group that we have.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
He was def. a shutdown guy. Not only has he to recover from that injury there's also no guarantee that he'll play on the same level.
Achilles tendon, multiple high ankle sprains, lisfranc...
But I feel very comfortable with the CB group that we have.
Yeah that's what I'm saying. Without Jimmy the secondary is top ten. With a 100% Jimmy it's top3.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

brian mcfarland explains this better but basically after the rookies are signed the ravens will have around 5.6m in cap left...

to quote mcfarland:

"Will need:
* ~$1.1M to reach 53 on roster
* ~$1.3M for practice squad
* TBD amount for players on IR (at least $480K per player)
* would like to have ~$3-5M to carry into season for injury replacements.
W/ restructure, now ~$9M. Doesn’t leave much for any major signings."

"So, never say never, of course, but w/ limited other options for restructures to create more later, this would seem to be a move to create needed cushion rather than to create space for a major move."

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Humphrey proved himself borderline great in press against some top flight receivers. He looks a little less comfortable in zone but that is to be expected.
It's pretty encouraging that we have three corners between Humphrey, Smith and Tavon that we can leave (generally) to fend for themselves in man coverage.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Chuck certainly offers more athleticism than Levine and was winning snaps towards the end of the year so you’ve got to think if chuck is reading the game well that there’s a chance he becomes lethal at dime

Levine under the radar the last couple of years has made himself an intrinsic part of the defence
I love Levine, I jut think we found out too late how to use him. Now we have a younger, faster and bigger hitter version of him in Chuck, who has already showed flashed as a rookie and is now taking valuable reps with the 1st team in the offseason

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I love Levine, I jut think Pees found out too late how to use him. Now we have a younger, faster and bigger hitter version of him in Chuck, who has already showed flashed as a rookie and is now taking valuable reps with the 1st team in the offseason
Fixed it. It's Always good to have a backup. Levine knew all positions CB S and LB in Pees scheme. What kind of scheme did Wink run in Denver?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Humphrey proved himself borderline great in press against some top flight receivers. He looks a little less comfortable in zone but that is to be expected.
It's pretty encouraging that we have three corners between Humphrey, Smith and Tavon that we can leave (generally) to fend for themselves in man coverage.

yeah - learning to be a zone corner is always going to take a little longer especially learning to be a cover 3 type corner - but ultimately that's not something i'd want out of marlon particularly (although im sure its something he would pick up quickly)

i want marlon close to the line of scrimmage even in zone - so he can attack the flats and the run and be physical

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I love Levine, I jut think we found out too late how to use him. Now we have a younger, faster and bigger hitter version of him in Chuck, who has already showed flashed as a rookie and is now taking valuable reps with the 1st team in the offseason

yeah it is a shame - and i have to give props to filmstudy because he was calling for us to use levine in that role and run more dime for at least a whole year (and probably longer) before we actually did it

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Chuck Clark is the embodiment of “fans don’t know shit” and why we should trust the FO more than we do sometimes. I was going apeshit over us passing on Isaiah ford over and over and at the end we take this unknown safety over ford who I saw as a steal, yet here we are, talking about Clark becoming a very big piece of the puzzle moving forward because he showed a hell of a lot of potential in year 1.

Y’all are talking about him replacing Levine but my hopes are that he replaces Tony Jefferson soon enough, because if we are getting 2017 Tony Jefferson then we paid too damn much.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
yeah - learning to be a zone corner is always going to take a little longer especially learning to be a cover 3 type corner - but ultimately that's not something i'd want out of marlon particularly (although im sure its something he would pick up quickly)

i want marlon close to the line of scrimmage even in zone - so he can attack the flats and the run and be physical
He was questioning himself a lot in zone coverage. Not deep zone stuff typically and not all the time but enough that it seems less familiar to him at this point. Struggles I think with depth of drop and responsibility underneath as well.

I'm with you though. he is going to be a dominant man up corner and there aren't many time( at least based on last year) that I would worry about him having to play Zone.

With the aforementioned trio of Smith, Tavon and Marlon, we really can be deceptive in blitz package and personnel underneath.

View attachment 1089

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Chuck Clark is the embodiment of “fans don’t know shit” and why we should trust the FO more than we do sometimes. I was going apeshit over us passing on Isaiah ford over and over and at the end we take this unknown safety over ford who I saw as a steal, yet here we are, talking about Clark becoming a very big piece of the puzzle moving forward because he showed a hell of a lot of potential in year 1.

Y’all are talking about him replacing Levine but my hopes are that he replaces Tony Jefferson soon enough, because if we are getting 2017 Tony Jefferson then we paid too damn much.
Levine is a guy that won't last very long if we release him...Belichik probably loves him.

I'm giving Jefferson the benefit of the doubt and assigning a not small portion of the blame to Pees's wanting him so often in deep half coverage or in single high coverage and that just isn't his game.