• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: Vs Chargers Wild Card Round

Lamar Comin!!!
jkhycy.jpg

ThatsMyJoeTerback

Ravens Ring of Honor
So I'm considering making the drive out to M&T this weekend for the first time... is section 132 a decent seat in the house really trying to decide if I should go or not lol
Of course. To me, there's no such thing as a bad seat in the house, let alone for a playoff game.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Hmmm. Chargers, a warm weather team, coming to the east coast, in a stadium with a revitalized fanbase, with a QB that doesn't do all that well in colder weather and has a penchant for choking in the postseason.....

I am still worried about Bosa and Ingram, but this is a very winnable game. We need to show up. It'd be nice for Weddle to get some revengence against the monster known as Spanos.....

There are three teams in the postseason I am afraid of... This is one of them. The other is the Chiefs if they don't suffer the typical Andy Reid collapse in round two, and the third one is the colts.. Yup, the Colts' investments in that oline of there's over the past some odd years has finally paid off and the D is underrated... and Andrew Luck would be a front runner for MVP if his team had won the division.

Yet I think we can beat all three of them. I don't think we will. But it is possible.

RavensPunkXVX

Pro Bowler
I fully expect the pass rush to rebound this game. Browns have a pretty good o-line and the Chargers o-line is probably its weakest link. can’t imagine they’ve improved over the last few weeks.

I expect quick passes to be drawn up from Chargers, but I’m super confident in our corners.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
It will be considered risky to go away from the script but it has to be done eventually. let's make a run and throw the football. This offense will be unstoppable if they can run multiple reads off run formations and throw the football. And if we can, a defense will have no idea how to stop us.

I'm telling you, it may be seen as a gamble and I don't expect it but if you could make it work and pull out a win vs. The chargers, no-one would be able to gameplan this offense.

There are plays to be had. On 2nd and 7 on our last drive: Crabtree. also, you can't tell from this pic but the defender that Brown is blocking was leaning pre snap and crashed immediately. Brown might only need fein a block and he's clear.
Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 2.13.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 2.13.57 PM.png

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
It will be considered risky to go away from the script but it has to be done eventually. let's make a run and throw the football. This offense will be unstoppable if they can run multiple reads off run formations and throw the football. And if we can, a defense will have no idea how to stop us.

I'm telling you, it may be seen as a gamble and I don't expect it but if you could make it work and pull out a win vs. The chargers, no-one would be able to gameplan this offense.

There are plays to be had. On 2nd and 7 on our last drive: Crabtree. also, you can't tell from this pic but the defender that Brown is blocking was leaning pre snap and crashed immediately. Brown might only need fein a block and he's clear.
View attachment 1238 View attachment 1238
I was just thinking this last night, have lamar run the read option and when he keeps, have him SHOW run and then back off. The secondary sells out once they see lamar showing run, and it only takes a shoulder dip and one step to get the whole defense committed

Week after week, people wanting to predict that our next opponent is the one that will have a game plan to deal Lamar and the offense we're running. Once teams have enough tape ... this HC or that DC having seen this style before and will know how to stop it ... etc.

Well, this week it is - LAC has played us once and therefore will know exactly how to stop us. Romo made mention of it and Dungy said that's the reason why he's picking LAC. I don't know if I buy it ... certainly don't buy it from Dungy because over the years I can just tell he's one of those guys that doesn't really seem to like the Ravens.

All I know is we need to dominate the scoreboard as much as we dominate the yardage gained. That comes down to red zone efficiency, which has been garbage in these past 2 games.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think LAC have a disadvantage coming into our game but also have an advantage as well. The time slot is seriously a disadvantage for them as is their OL going against our DL. I also still like our secondary even if the Chargers will likely use those 4 stacked WR sets to get us like the Browns seemed to do. Humphrey had a bad game but I’m optimistic he’ll turn it around here. The Browns did a good job of limiting Lamar in the second half. The most obvious advantage the Chargers have is they’ve seen Lamar before.

All that being said, while they’re getting back Henry their guys are banged up and they’re not coming in full strength either and they just played a late game as well that was away in Denver vs the Broncos. We’re home for both games. On top of it, the Chargers still have to stop us on the road.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Nothing would be finer then to beat that PRICK known as Phillip Rivers twice in one season.

Let's put this guy out to the stud farm. LMAO.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Nothing would be finer then to beat that PRICK known as Phillip Rivers twice in one season.

Let's put this guy out to the stud farm. LMAO.
We got Lamar and The Prophet Lamar said we were going to get a Super Bowl out of him. He said to “Belee ‘dat!”. His prophecy has started to come true. Fret not for victory has already been promised by The Prince Who Was Promised.

#IBelee

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
I just want the Ravens coaching staff to come up with a game plan that gets us another W against the Chargers. Then we can worry about the other games after we win. Lamar needs to be given more freedom to throw the ball imho. He's earned that right and will be surprisingly successful if forced to throw the ball.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Week after week, people wanting to predict that our next opponent is the one that will have a game plan to deal Lamar and the offense we're running. Once teams have enough tape ... this HC or that DC having seen this style before and will know how to stop it ... etc.

Well, this week it is - LAC has played us once and therefore will know exactly how to stop us. Romo made mention of it and Dungy said that's the reason why he's picking LAC. I don't know if I buy it ... certainly don't buy it from Dungy because over the years I can just tell he's one of those guys that doesn't really seem to like the Ravens.

All I know is we need to dominate the scoreboard as much as we dominate the yardage gained. That comes down to red zone efficiency, which has been garbage in these past 2 games.
Everybody says that but they don’t realize the different monster they’re dealing with. Lamar Jackson is a breed never seen before. Rg3, kaepernick, Wilson, Vince young, etc. none of these guys are the absolute monster of an athlete and refined and talented runner that lamar is, those guys were scramblers or sprinters, lamar is a RUNNER. If he was born in a RBs body he’d be the first overall pick and you could guarantee 1800 scrimmage yards a year, if he was born with good hands and wanted to play wr he’d probably be the deadliest one in the league, you can’t gameplan for that talent.

You can compensate, you can have safety spies reading from 10 yards deep to get the angle, but then you’re extremely vulnerable to the quick strike TE/slot seam as we’ve seen often, you can crash the edge but when we let you do that and assign blockers elsewhere you’re fucked up the middle, and the very snap you don’t do all of these things is the snap where lamar breaks a 20+ yard run off the edge. Everything defenses do to compensate for lamar, they leave themselves exposed literally everywhere else, that’s why gus has broke out so much, that’s why lamars hitting WIDE OPEN receivers, and that simply can’t change, there is no way to scheme everything away without lamars run talent taking over. The whole issue is just spotting where they’re compensating, and attacking the weak spot accordingly

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Everybody says that but they don’t realize the different monster they’re dealing with. Lamar Jackson is a breed never seen before. Rg3, kaepernick, Wilson, Vince young, etc. none of these guys are the absolute monster of an athlete and refined and talented runner that lamar is, those guys were scramblers or sprinters, lamar is a RUNNER. If he was born in a RBs body he’d be the first overall pick and you could guarantee 1800 scrimmage yards a year, if he was born with good hands and wanted to play wr he’d probably be the deadliest one in the league, you can’t gameplan for that talent.

You can compensate, you can have safety spies reading from 10 yards deep to get the angle, but then you’re extremely vulnerable to the quick strike TE/slot seam as we’ve seen often, you can crash the edge but when we let you do that and assign blockers elsewhere you’re fucked up the middle, and the very snap you don’t do all of these things is the snap where lamar breaks a 20+ yard run off the edge. Everything defenses do to compensate for lamar, they leave themselves exposed literally everywhere else, that’s why gus has broke out so much, that’s why lamars hitting WIDE OPEN receivers, and that simply can’t change, there is no way to scheme everything away without lamars run talent taking over. The whole issue is just spotting where they’re compensating, and attacking the weak spot accordingly
Couldn't agree more. I'll add some more thoughts. To tackle Lamar in the open field is like picking up mercury. Unless you are very fast and luck out on the right angle a defensive guy isn't going to tackle Lamar in the open field. He is too gifted an athlete with a RB's vision of the field when he's on the run. He is deadly with the ball in his hands. Don't scoff at his throwing ability either because the kid threw for 9000 yds and 69 TDs in 3 yrs at Louisville. In the present system the Ravens have developed for him and the offense, they're slowly adding the passing plays to his repertoire. I say set him free to throw to open receivers because he'll find them. Lastly, he sees the field and goes through his progressions like a veteran already. He is a PHENOM and let's treasure him and thank Ozzie Newsome and DeCosta for having the courage of conviction to move up in the draft to pick him!

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah, honestly I was meh when we drafted Lamar. Didn’t ever really even entertain the idea that we might draft him. Wasn’t expecting it. But now I’m glad we did. He’s got me excited as FUCK. I love this brand of football we’re playing.

With all the success the Browns had against us going empty backfield and putting 4 receivers wide do you see other teams including the Chargers going with that approach? Have other teams had success running that against us? What do we do to try and address that?

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Couldn't agree more. I'll add some more thoughts. To tackle Lamar in the open field is like picking up mercury. Unless you are very fast and luck out on the right angle a defensive guy isn't going to tackle Lamar in the open field. He is too gifted an athlete with a RB's vision of the field when he's on the run. He is deadly with the ball in his hands. Don't scoff at his throwing ability either because the kid threw for 9000 yds and 69 TDs in 3 yrs at Louisville. In the present system the Ravens have developed for him and the offense, they're slowly adding the passing plays to his repertoire. I say set him free to throw to open receivers because he'll find them. Lastly, he sees the field and goes through his progressions like a veteran already. He is a PHENOM and let's treasure him and thank Ozzie Newsome and DeCosta for having the courage of conviction to move up in the draft to pick him!
I just can't believe that we drafted one of the most exciting offensive players ever. Sure we picked up some exotic defensive talent over the years, couple really good RBs and TEs but this just doesn't normally happen in Baltimore.