• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Everything Science

usmccharles

Practice Squad
Thanks for recreating my thread, this was my favorite thread (non-raven) next to Tv/movies. I have some good info to add to this, might have to wait till I'm home, it will be worth the wait.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I guess this goes here.

We had a bit of a thunderstorm last night. I ended up with about an inch of hail built up on my front porch. They say 700+ lightning strikes hit Auckland in couple hours, 4 of them direct hits at Sky Tower. One of those four recorded here:

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I had a friend post an anti-vaccine meme on Facebook and I just thought to myself that I wouldn't comment on such ignorance and I'd let it go, but then I noticed a sheer amount of incorrect information beings spewed with regards to chemistry really got me triggered.

If anyone ever has any questions about biology, chemistry, or biochemistry, that's what my degree and field of research are centered around. Ask away.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I had a friend post an anti-vaccine meme on Facebook and I just thought to myself that I wouldn't comment on such ignorance and I'd let it go, but then I noticed a sheer amount of incorrect information beings spewed with regards to chemistry really got me triggered.

If anyone ever has any questions about biology, chemistry, or biochemistry, that's what my degree and field of research are centered around. Ask away.
I'm taking AP bio this year, so would I be able to ask you things if I need help?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

I always liked biology better than chemistry, but sometimes with thr right chemistry and the right partner...."biology" can be really fun

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I always liked biology better than chemistry, but sometimes with thr right chemistry and the right partner...."biology" can be really fun
It was weird for me. I really loved chemistry lecture and excelled at it, but I hated the labs. I wasn't great at them and I often thought they were flat out dumb. I hated my biology lectures. They were so boring and memorization wasn't fun to me. The labs were so awesome, though, and I always loved doing them.

Biochemistry kinda combined the worst of both classes for me. That class was hell.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
According to CNN, hurricane Irma is back to category 5 strength. 345 miles from Florida, moving at 15Mph. So, around 23 hrs until it hits.

Inqui

Pro Bowler
https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/03/alibaba-debuts-smile-to-pay/

More technology than science, but it turns out that Alibaba and KFC teamed up to launch a new kind of payment system in China last month. Instead of using a phone or a credit card, the system uses facial recognition software to recognise who you are and charge your account accordingly. It's nothing new for those who've recently travelled to NZ or Australia (I'd assume other countries use it too, but none that I've seen), but it's interesting to see it finding a more mainstream use.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Wasn't sure where to put this but what do you guys think about drones being used? Just yesterday a drone was flown over the 49ers stadium dropping leaflets of anti media propaganda. Also have heard of drones peeking into private residences windows before and flying over the White House. Amazon is also wanting to deliver packages via drone for faster deliveries. Really cant nobody wait anymore.
Personally I think technology is going way too far and drones can be dangerous to the public cuz you don't know what they're viewing or what they can potentially drop onto you.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Wasn't sure where to put this but what do you guys think about drones being used? Just yesterday a drone was flown over the 49ers stadium dropping leaflets of anti media propaganda. Also have heard of drones peeking into private residences windows before and flying over the White House. Amazon is also wanting to deliver packages via drone for faster deliveries. Really cant nobody wait anymore.
Personally I think technology is going way too far and drones can be dangerous to the public cuz you don't know what they're viewing or what they can potentially drop onto you.
That, and the fact that we are now making artificially intelligent robots, one in which said she wanted to “destroy humans” before being re-programmed. Yep, I’m ready to do away with technology now.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
That, and the fact that we are now making artificially intelligent robots, one in which said she wanted to “destroy humans” before being re-programmed. Yep, I’m ready to do away with technology now.

Wow I never heard about that before. That's alarming but the real AI I'm worried about is hearing humans will be able to use their brains as chips to download info thereby making them cyborgs. People like Steven Hawkins and Elon Musk are extremely concerned about this.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

that particular instance is a bit of a misnomer - the phrasing of the question/speech was complex and the robot was at a "young???" mode of understanding and the response was not an actual answer to the question really...

rossihunter2

Staff Member

obviously unsanctioned drones flying in restricted places is bad but i imagine when amazon starts properly rolling out drone delivery there will be an organised "air highway" type system so that there is no potential airspace congestion