• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offseason Thread

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Okay so you disagree. Just because his final season at OK St. wasn't great in terms of yards, his YPC was 5.9! Which was better than his first two years where he showed remarkable improvement year on year having led all rookie RBs in the nation his first year. So, I really don't get why you feel he underwhelmed? He had less carries so he had less yards in his final season at OK St. I thought if you looked at the more meaningful RB stat (YPC) then you'd say he overwhelmed in his final year.

Im just saying that justice didn't really show anything special IMO last year. Just being honest. He just looked like a regular running back who happens to be very fast but actually lacked in the wow plays

Dixon was a far far better player in college. hard to bring down, great feet, excellent vision and good at catching passes and decent pass pro

far far better player than hill.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Im just saying that justice didn't really show anything special IMO last year. Just being honest. He just looked like a regular running back who happens to be very fast but actually lacked in the wow plays

Dixon was a far far better player in college. hard to bring down, great feet, excellent vision and good at catching passes and decent pass pro

Hill was injured for a part of last season. His best fim is in 2017

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
4bygefkc2mv21.jpg

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Dixon was incredible in college, injuries derailed what could’ve been multiple pro bowls because he’s shown that same ability in the nfl. But 2 things... Dixon played at Louisiana tech(the same school/conference you use to disregard Ferguson’s production) and Dixon’s game was different, Dixon is a workhorse type of back with elusiveness to create big plays, hill is a scat back who can take any run to the house but should only get somewhere between 5-10 carries per game.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Dixon was incredible in college, injuries derailed what could’ve been multiple pro bowls because he’s shown that same ability in the nfl. But 2 things... Dixon played at Louisiana tech(the same school/conference you use to disregard Ferguson’s production) and Dixon’s game was different, Dixon is a workhorse type of back with elusiveness to create big plays, hill is a scat back who can take any run to the house but should only get somewhere between 5-10 carries per game.
Not good enough. If every position doesn’t have a pro bowler than szn over

Justin Diaz-Thomas

Practice Squad
I love Dixon, I thought he could of been the 2nd coming of Rice for us initially, But from the the outside it looks like he's most likely the odd man out unless Hill looks like complete ass in the preseason.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I like Dixon, if he can get and stay healthy for a full season, I would love to see him on the field. He seems like he could be a good fit for our style of offense.

Simba

Staff Member
I like Dixon, if he can get and stay healthy for a full season, I would love to see him on the field. He seems like he could be a good fit for our style of offense.

The fit is what I think way too many people are overlooking at this point. If you think he won't make it due to injury and/or suspension, I can't argue that. When it comes to fit though, he's perfect. 3 down back with the blend of power and elusiveness in both the running and passing game. This might be a little presumptuous, but based on how things were going down the stretch last year, I expect this team to have a heavy interest in developing the passing game out of the backfield. It will open up so many other things. Dixon is perfect for that type of role.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
wish we didnt have an over paid SS right now so we could look into berry
Berry is not the player he used to be and the 2nd half of last season Jefferson did pretty well. He was also a pretty big leader. Now with Earl Thomas we will most likely be paying Jefferson where he is supposed to play..at SS

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
wish we didnt have an over paid SS right now so we could look into berry
Jefferson has quickly become one of our leaders, and he had his misses in coverage but he was played way out of position these past 2 years.

If he could play his natural role as a robber/rover, he should be excellent for a team who lost its 3 defensive leaders. Earl Thomas should be he best thing to ever happen to jefferson

Charm City

Pro Bowler
Jefferson has quickly become one of our leaders, and he had his misses in coverage but he was played way out of position these past 2 years.

If he could play his natural role as a robber/rover, he should be excellent for a team who lost its 3 defensive leaders. Earl Thomas should be he best thing to ever happen to jefferson
I think we're slowly changing our team building philosophy to one where we draft guys with specific roles and do not try to play them anywhere else, which will be the biggest difference between EDC and Ozzie. We went into the draft looking for specific types of receivers, a specific type of running back, an interior pass rusher, a technical pass blocking guard, etc.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think we're slowly changing our team building philosophy to one where we draft guys with specific roles and do not try to play them anywhere else, which will be the biggest difference between EDC and Ozzie. We went into the draft looking for specific types of receivers, a specific type of running back, an interior pass rusher, a technical pass blocking guard, etc.
Big change from the harbaugh Ozzie philosophy of needing to be versatile first and foremost. I think that’s exactly why we were middling for so long, we drafted jacks of all trades and masters of none, we had guys who could set the edge, Jam a TE, play ILB, edge, and 5tech, but couldn’t edge rush for shit. We had NTs playing 3tech on money downs, we prioritized swing linemen so we had 6’5” guards with no bend but struggled to pass protect at OT. Prioritized blocking from TEs. Shit like that. That’s why we had all LB rush packages with no edge pressure at all, we had LBs plugging the nose and the edge guys struggling to rush. I hope this is a permanent change because I never liked how we forced guys to learn multiple roles before they were allowed to see the field, we wasted a lot of prime cheap years by players being healthy scratches because they could rush but couldn’t set the edge or line up at ILB in a pinch, it was stupid.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Berry is not the player he used to be and the 2nd half of last season Jefferson did pretty well. He was also a pretty big leader. Now with Earl Thomas we will most likely be paying Jefferson where he is supposed to play..at SS
yes i understand that but he still isnt as good as people thought when he first got here.. even his best year in ARZ wasnt good like advertised in here. ive never really been big on berry. Always thought that earl and harrison smith was much better, however id still rather have him over jefferson right now

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
yes i understand that but he still isnt as good as people thought when he first got here.. even his best year in ARZ wasnt good like advertised in here. ive never really been big on berry. Always thought that earl and harrison smith was much better, however id still rather have him over jefferson right now
maybe, but he had 440 snaps at free safety last year and that isn't what he was brought in here to do. He played 260 snaps in the box either at LILB, RILB or SS (which he played under 100 snaps at SS). He also had over 100 snaps at slot corner. He's a versatile player, but would be best suited in the box. I have a feeling he will be playing LB and SS this year.

Last edited:

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
maybe, but he had 440 snaps at free safety last year and that isn't what he was brought in here to do. He played 260 snaps in the box either at LILB, RILB or SS (which he played under 100 snaps at SS). He also had over 100 snaps at slot corner. He's a versatile player, but would be best suited in the box. I have a feeling he will be playing LB and SS this year.
only bad plays i remember from was when he played FS lol and thats my problem lol. If he is strictly LB and SS, how are we gonna be able to disguise our defense like how we did last year?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
only bad plays i remember from was when he played FS lol and thats my problem lol. If he is strictly LB and SS, how are we gonna be able to disguise our defense like how we did last year?
strictly was the wrong word to use. Earl Thomas will be playing mainly FS though, which will reduce the amount of snaps he has at FS. We need to use him more to his strengths and Wink will figure it out.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Maxx Williams signing with the cards - with the brent urban deal qualifying for comp picks and us having been interested in maxx coming back to bmore it could be that it drives up the price (per Brian Mcfarland the contract would need to be a little over 1m) and qualifies for a comp

if it does it means not only have we got back our 4th we've got our 5th for sizzle too

basically as long as brent urban doesnt get injured (fingers crossed) and this contract for maxx qualifies we'll be +3 in the comp picks column

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
so without any trades etc as of right now we have 10 picks going into next years draft..ci?
Yup. And a possible top 10 one as a team that's young and super inexperienced.

This year doesn't matter for me. Not a negative. Next year we will have metric fuckloads of cap room and a lot of draft capital. Needs next year? Secondary. Drafted Marshal and Averett who are developing. We will need pass rushers, and a C.

I mean. If we win a lot of games this season that'll merely be a bonus. This year is all about developing Jackson. He develops, you're in a phenomenal position to build a juggernaut next year.