• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Article Offensive Rookie of the Year Award

Who is the Ravens's Offensive Rookie of the Year for 2018

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rossihunter2

Staff Member
We will start with a category with fairly simple nominees to compile to ease us into this process.

I didn't include Bozeman or Hurst because I figured they weren't going to get votes but if anyone feels like those are candidates they deem should be nominated I can add if needed

Discuss below.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Andrews to me, because while lamar should certainly be the “mvp” type, as in the guy who spearheaded the revival of our season, the actual best offensive rookie was mark Andrews bar none.

Mark Andrews had the best rookie season for a TE in idk how long, he could be the steal of the 2018 draft, and he may possibly end up the first household name “elite” or “blue chip” player the ravens have had at a skill position since ray rice

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Andrews to me, because while lamar should certainly be the “mvp” type, as in the guy who spearheaded the revival of our season, the actual best offensive rookie was mark Andrews bar none.

Mark Andrews had the best rookie season for a TE in idk how long, he could be the steal of the 2018 draft, and he may possibly end up the first household name “elite” or “blue chip” player the ravens have had at a skill position since ray rice

that makes sense of course
but im just not sure anyone changed the course of the season more than Lamar (and Gus and Orlando) by the midseason switch

but yeah i can see what you mean in terms of value vs quality of play (grading etc.) and in that sense i'd probably say Orlando or Andrews should/would be rookie of the year

Mark Andrews for me as well. He was the best, most consistent TE on our roster this year, and it wasn’t even close. He made the best of the opportunities that he had. I honestly don’t think they gave him enough work this year. He looks like he will be a workhorse for this offense for years to come.

Lamar gets honorary mention, but he only started 7 games and before that his contributions were pretty small.

Andrews for sure, I’m really excited to see this kid ball out for us for years to come.

Wish I could of written Hursts name, but yeah.. another wasted 1st round pick fellas..

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Andrews for sure, I’m really excited to see this kid ball out for us for years to come.

Wish I could of written Hursts name, but yeah.. another wasted 1st round pick fellas..
Hurst is far from a wasted first round pick. He came back from a tough injury and TE is the toughest position outside of qb for rookies, especially the multiple ways we were using tight ends. He’s going to have a major impact next season,

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Hurst is far from a wasted first round pick. He came back from a tough injury and TE is the toughest position outside of qb for rookies, especially the multiple ways we were using tight ends. He’s going to have a major impact next season,

Hurst had a not bad season as stats go for rookie TEs especially given him missing time at the beginning of the year too - for some perspective since 2002 only 2 TEs have had more than 600 yards in a season as rookies - Jimmy Graham and Evan Engram (Mark Andrews got pretty close btw with 550)

This class really could be franchise-changing if the rookies progress the way they should (especially the ones who are already contributing as rookies)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I wanted Ridley with that pick, and we could have had him

I think when he was just sitting there almost every Ravens fan everywhere thought: Bama, WR need, good hands and great route runner (the antithesis of everything Breshad Perriman was) and value at that spot... it made so much sense and was so obvious - and then we went the even more obvious Ozzie pick - the pro-ready in-line tight end - you could almost hear the collective sigh of disappointment lol

now i think hurst is a good pick but i thought ridley would have been a brilliant pickup at that spot

or Will Hernandez who was one of my favourite players in the draft

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think when he was just sitting there almost every Ravens fan everywhere thought: Bama, WR need, good hands and great route runner (the antithesis of everything Breshad Perriman was) and value at that spot... it made so much sense and was so obvious - and then we went the even more obvious Ozzie pick - the pro-ready in-line tight end - you could almost hear the collective sigh of disappointment lol

now i think hurst is a good pick but i thought ridley would have been a brilliant pickup at that spot

or Will Hernandez who was one of my favourite players in the draft
Ridley made more sense in that it would give Lamar a WR with whom he could grow, and a TE as well. The problem is Hurst got hurt so we’ll see how he does next year now that he’ll be able to heal. Both guys [Ridley and Hurst] were older dudes so it’s not like Lamar would really “grow” with them but it sure would have helped to lessen the need for WR. I just think we felt like we needed to help Joe more than Lamar and that’s kind of how we approached everything. I agree with everything you’re saying because it would be great to have Ridley now.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ridley made more sense in that it would give Lamar a WR with whom he could grow, and a TE as well. The problem is Hurst got hurt so we’ll see how he does next year now that he’ll be able to heal. Both guys [Ridley and Hurst] were older dudes so it’s not like Lamar would really “grow” with them but it sure would have helped to lessen the need for WR. I just think we felt like we needed to help Joe more than Lamar and that’s kind of how we approached everything. I agree with everything you’re saying because it would be great to have Ridley now.

i mean both make sense for lamar too
- ridley's major route running issue in college was that he could be pressed but that's been alleviated by playing a lot of slot snaps (and also just learning how to win at the LoS) - his route running from the slot is excellent already and that's the kind of player who would find huge open spaces in a lamar offence you're right
- but hurst's flexibility out of the tight end spot with the ability to get YAC and go up the seam and work those inside route combinations and be open with leverage even when covered is a good fit for lamar also especially if they build chemistry

I mean it always comes down to what criteria you choose to use. I feel like the Mark Andrews voters are weighting their vote based on expectation v performance and projection to future performance. If you want to vote based on impact to the team it’s Lamar without question. I’m voting based on impact to the season.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I mean it always comes down to what criteria you choose to use. I feel like the Mark Andrews voters are weighting their vote based on expectation v performance and projection to future performance. If you want to vote based on impact to the team it’s Lamar without question. I’m voting based on impact to the season.

i guess its a personal decision - i voted for lamar but i could see that from a pure play level grade type aspect that Mark Andrews has been the better player

but lamar has transformed a more important decision

that's why it's not so clear cut one way or another

you could almost hear the collective sigh of disappointment lol

I was actually swearing out loud..like for the 10 mins following the pick
giphy.gif

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Impact to the team is something that is awarded with mvp honors, while OROY is more about raw offensive output.

Example: 08 when Peyton won MVP but Brees won OPOY. Peyton clearly carried the team on his back to a playoff berth but Drew Brees was the leagues most productive offensive player en route to a .500 season, different awards for players at the same position. One is about value to the team and the other is just about output.