• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Article Ravens Coach of the Year Award

Who is the Ravens's Coach of the Year for 2018

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I voted for Wink. He was able to finally flip the narrative that we "can't close out games" and watching the defense play this year was a breath of fresh air after dealing with Pees' shit for way too long. I've just never liked the philosophy of a "bend, but don't break" defense and much prefer to see an aggressive D that gets after the opposition. The only real complaint I would have for the defense is that we could have forced more turnovers, but I think if we can add some more pass rushers during the off-season (specifically on the D-line) then we'll see that number start to go up again.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I voted for Wink. He was able to finally flip the narrative that we "can't close out games" and watching the defense play this year was a breath of fresh air after dealing with Pees' shit for way too long. I've just never liked the philosophy of a "bend, but don't break" defense and much prefer to see an aggressive D that gets after the opposition. The only real complaint I would have for the defense is that we could have forced more turnovers, but I think if we can add some more pass rushers during the off-season (specifically on the D-line) then we'll see that number start to go up again.

takeaways as as a statistic are largely non-predictive and a lot of luck comes into it - that period where the ravens didnt have a turnover for multiple games was not down to a specific lack of good play for example but largely down to poor luck (in a probability sense)

obviously the better the defence the more lucky you're likely to get but the variance is huge so its hard to predict and "fix" unless there are obvious issues like dropping easy ints... but i didnt see a lot of that tbh

an easy way to create more turnovers is to create more consistent 4-man pass rush which is why the bears led the league in takeaways because they had a guys up front who were sack artists and that inevitably leads to more forced fumbles

the ravens were an above average sack stat team but we also used an incredibly large number of blitzes which is a different kind of pressure

so i agree that pass rush helps the turnover numbers but ultimately i dont think much else can "force" a fix per se

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
It's not even close for me. After suffering for years through same-all with **** **** led D, Wink finally brought some of the Ravens old magic on that side of the ball, with virtually the same set of players.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Had to go with Wink. 4 cover 0's on Browns last gasp. Come on we know Pees would have did it 3 times but would've went softy zoney on 4th down.

he wasnt on the initial list of nominees when i posted it for suggestions and no one said he should replace any of the above - it would also seem counterintuitive to have a coach of the year who just got fired and replaced by another coach within the building

I just wanted to see him get no votes lol

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Teflon Don Martindale

The ravens defense was incredibly overrated for years because the defense lost basically every one possession game we were in, and that was directly due to dean pees scheme,

Wink came in and immediately got us back to the 00-11(sans the Mattison years) brand of defense that would absolutely smother you, blitz you, swarm tackle, press, and hit hard as fuck, and we absolutely leaned on our defense all year and it got us to the playoffs once we were able to establish a bit of TOP on offense

Wink.

To me the transition from Pees to Wink was even more transformational than the move from Mattison to Pagano and that is saying a lot. I feared he may go the way of Pagano and be one and done. Thankfully not but enjoy him while we have him because if our D plays like it did this year again you can be sure someone will come a calling.

This difference was never on more complete display than our game vs TEN - and fittingly so given Pees was on the other sideline. Our D saw blood and feasted. I was at that game and as we got sack after sack all I could think was that if Pees were our DC none of this would be happening. They would have gradually let them get back in the game and we’d be clinging to dear life to finish.

Hearing Suggs say “it feels like the handcuffs are taken off” is all you needed to know. I was initially worried about the internal promotion (because I feared it would be status quo) but hearing that allayed all my fears.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Wink.

To me the transition from Pees to Wink was even more transformational than the move from Mattison to Pagano and that is saying a lot. I feared he may go the way of Pagano and be one and done. Thankfully not but enjoy him while we have him because if our D plays like it did this year again you can be sure someone will come a calling.

This difference was never on more complete display than our game vs TEN - and fittingly so given Pees was on the other sideline. Our D saw blood and feasted. I was at that game and as we got sack after sack all I could think was that if Pees were our DC none of this would be happening. They would have gradually let them get back in the game and we’d be clinging to dear life to finish.

Hearing Suggs say “it feels like the handcuffs are taken off” is all you needed to know. I was initially worried about the internal promotion (because I feared it would be status quo) but hearing that allayed all my fears.
It would be nice if he agrees with SB to some sort of succession plan, like it was done for DeCosta.